Midwest Hotel

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Midwest Hotel

Post by dangerboy »

Jackson County prosecuters have finally gotten tired of the chronic prostitution and drug activity at the Midwest Hotel and are moving to sieze the property and sell it on the courthouse steps. This could be good news for the Crossroads and the rest of Downtown. The Pitch reports that in the recent past the building has drawn interest from several Downtown/Midtown heayweights like Adam Jones (Westside), Chris Seferyn (Velvet Dog, et. al), and Rod Anderson (Hereford House).

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2003-09-25/ ... print.html
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Midwest Hotel

Post by bahua »

I'll step up and buy it, and turn it into a much nicer brothel, with a far safer drug-vending environment.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Midwest Hotel

Post by mean »

And then, unfortunately, you'd be carted off to prison for breaking morality laws.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Midwest Hotel

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I was told once, that Joan Crawford used to live in the Midwest Hotel.
Maybe just urban legend.

Maybe the DB can expand, to improve the neighborhood.
:D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Urban Legend Truth, But Wrong Hotel

Post by FangKC »

Joan Crawford (then Billie Cassin) lived in the New Midland Hotel at 705 Walnut and attended Scarritt Elementary School while living there. The New Midland later became offices and was called the Midland Building. Later the name changed to Railway Exchange Building.

She later attended St. Agnes Academy, then Rockingham Academy. Joan lived at various times on Genessee Street and Armour Boulevard. While at St. Agnes', she would meet boys in Budd Park, which resulted in her being placed on probation at the school.

She worked in Kansas City at a hand laundry, as a telephone operator, and a sales clerk at Emery, Bird & Thayer Department Store. She entered local dance contests, and was discovered at the Jack-O-Lantern Ballroom in Westport (near 39th and Main), This led to her joining a dance revue troupe, and eventually moving to Chicago, where she was discovered by Broadway producer J.J. Schubert.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Midwest Hotel

Post by tat2kc »

Wow, Fang, you sure do know a lot about Joan. Are you sure you don't play on my team??? :wink:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.