Eastside

macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Eastside

Post by macnw »

Didn't anyone read the article on the New Yorker who is taking a vested interest in KC. Sounds like another potential neighboorhood in the works for KC. Anyone have any thoughts about the potential of the area north of the Civic Mall. How could we create a new residential area that bridges Columbus Park, the eastern fringe of River Market and the area around the Vista del Rio.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Eastside

Post by KCPowercat »

it's a stretch for ANOTHER neighborhood but I'd love it if it happened.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Where Did The Article Appear?

Post by FangKC »

Where and When did the article appear?
There is no fifth destination.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

eastside

Post by macnw »

Check out this week's Business Journal. Talks about a New York developer willing to invest in KC. At this point. we cannot turn any help away. Again, it seems like most of the help is coming from investors from outside KC. This guy seems fairly reputable.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Eastside

Post by mean »

Somebody give me $12 million and I will make some sweet developments.

Since that isn't going to happen, guess I'll have to find a way to get that kind of money on my own. Give me thirty or forty years. If it still matters then.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Eastside

Post by Midtownkid »

Mean, That's how i feel about the westbottoms...that area would be awesome if i could have more like 999 million...buy out the haunted houses, all the warehouses, build a bunch of new lofts...i'd need so much dough...oh well
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Marina District in West Bottoms

Post by FangKC »

I've had this idea for awhile about taking some of the vacant land along the Kansas River; constructing a network of canals; and creating a marina district. People could keep larger boats and cabin cruisers there to use on the river. One could also have some houseboats docked in the canals on which people could live like they do in Seattle, Miami, and Portland.

To deal with potential flooding problems, a levee could be constructed around the marina to protect the other areas of the West Bottoms. Tall concrete poles could be placed along the boat ramps to secure the boats during floods and keep them from floating away. The boat could rise with the water and still be secured.

A marina district could add charm to the West Bottoms, provide a facility for leisure, and a location for some seafood and fishing related businesses, restaurants, etc. Perhaps a sandy beach area could also be constructed for sunbathers and fishing.

I think we should also return to calling the West Bottoms "the French Bottoms."
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Eastside

Post by bahua »

Is the Kaw navigable?
KCforumer

Eastside

Post by KCforumer »

Well, there is at least one sandbank that rises above the surface of the water and goes entirely across the river from one bank to the other, so it's not very navigable. The sandbank can be seen from the 435 bridge while going northbound if you look to the east. There's no way a boat could go through that. But I think in FangKC's idea he was using the Kaw only for the marina and nothing else.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Eastside

Post by Midtownkid »

Fang, you and me can team up in 5 years after a go to a 5 year architecture/urban planning program in college. I have a really good vision for the West bottoms around the warehouses...but no idea what to do w/ the land near the river. Your project will benefit from mine bringing in lots of potential boat owners and yours will make my area more desireable/upscale. :shock: :D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Okie Dokie

Post by FangKC »

Midtownkid, sounds like a winner!