Election 2008

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Election 2008

Post by Maitre D »

What would a 10% increase in turnout among Republicans, or Independents, do?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Maitre D wrote: Dobson may be nutty to you and Chrizow, but he's perfectly normal to a huge swath of Americans.
Huge?  Dear god, I would hope not!

My guess would be that his audience is a small minority of older Christians, mostly rural and evangelical. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

DanCa wrote: Huge?  Dear god, I would hope not!

My guess would be that his audience is a small minority of older Christians, mostly rural and evangelical. 
...and their kids who they managed to brainwash into being afraid of going to a place called hell.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote: McCain should lose b/c his own base doesn't like him and independents are tired of the bad economy + endless Iraq situation.   That matters farrrrr more than 'utes & blacks'
I have to agree with MD.  Assuming Obama wins, I suspect it will have much more to do with McCain's disatisfied consituency staying home than it has to do with some giant increase in Dem turnout.  Sadly, American elections tend to hinge far more on who is the most apathetic as opposed to who is the most enthusiastic.  
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: What would a 10% increase in turnout among Republicans, or Independents, do?
Probably tilt a few states in McCain's favor. What are the odds of him generating a 10% increase in turnout among Republicans though?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: ...and their kids who they managed to brainwash into being afraid of going to a place called hell.
I like Dobson quite a bit.  I guess I've been "brainwashed"..... :lol:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Probably tilt a few states in McCain's favor. What are the odds of him generating a 10% increase in turnout among Republicans though?
Almost none.  He didn't even win 1/3 of GOP voters in the contested primaries and I think 20% of them continued to vote against him even after he wrapped it up.

He'll have to make the election about Obama.  Which will fail, unless Obama makes a huge mistake.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: I like Dobson quite a bit.  I guess I've been "brainwashed"..... :lol:
He may be a stand-up guy and all...but I'm not a fan of people who condemn others for their "sins", or who cite a pschizo text like the Bible as way to live your life.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Obama doing quite well in upper midwestern swing states like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan as well as Colorado. His success among independents in those states is key.

Obama leads McCain in swing states

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: He may be a stand-up guy and all...but I'm not a fan of people who condemn others for their "sins", or who cite a pschizo text like the Bible as way to live your life.
I think pretty much everyone is judgmental, aren't they?

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: I think pretty much everyone is judgmental, aren't they?
Most are.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Maitre D wrote: I like Dobson quite a bit.  I guess I've been "brainwashed"..... :lol:
This is how you should discipline your dog:

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2008/6 ... ing_Method
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

phxcat wrote: This is how you should discipline your dog:
And how you should raise your son to keep him from being gay.

Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCMax wrote: And how you should raise your son to keep him from being gay.

Meanwhile, the boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.
I...I...wow...I don't really know what to say to that. It's almost too creepy for words.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Like I said, Dobson is a nut. He's probably a closet homosexual...like the other preachers who tell their congregations to suppress their "unnatural and sinful" feelings.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

kcmetro wrote: He's probably a closet homosexual...like the other preachers who tell their congregations to suppress their "unnatural and sinful" feelings.
He may not be the only one.  I bet this Democrat is also:

Sadly, some preachers are crazy!
KC is the way to be!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

mean wrote: I...I...wow...I don't really know what to say to that. It's almost too creepy for words.
Dobson didn't write that, though he certainly passed it along and endorses it.  I thought it was creepy, too, but less so in the context of the article.  The article's arguments are certainly far out of the mainstream, but not irrational.  Not saying they're correct or that I agree, but it certainly seems a reasoned and compassionate piece rather than one of a "nutjob."  I don't think anyone can claim the science, theory, and politics of gender identity is settled.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: Like I said, Dobson is a nut. He's probably a closet homosexual...like the other preachers who tell their congregations to suppress their "unnatural and sinful" feelings.

So I take it, you're probably a "closet Christian" - like other atheists who tell people to suppress their religious feelings?

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Maitre D wrote: I think pretty much everyone is judgmental, aren't they?
My biggest problem with Dobson and his looney group is that they use made up BS "statistics" from Paul Cameron to demonize and dehumanize gay people.  Things like gay men have hundreds of sex partners per year, are predatory pediphiles, disease-ridden, self hating, fight with partners, can't be monagamous, want to be a victim, entice people into gay bashing them, etc.  And if you look at where they got the "statistics", they'll quote some study from a 1978 San Francisco bath house.  The man has even called for the extermination of gay people.  If anyone ever deserved a comparison to Hitler, it's Paul Cameron - and Dobson supports him and his war on gay people.  Just google Paul Cameron and gay to see the crap he publishes.  
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

kcmetro wrote: Like I said, Dobson is a nut. He's probably a closet homosexual...like the other preachers who tell their congregations to suppress their "unnatural and sinful" feelings.
I guarantee you Focus on the Family is filled with closet cases.  Look at Gary Bauer and tell me that man isn't a big queen.