Vinino

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Vinino

Post by KC-wildcat »

dangerboy wrote: Westport was already de-emphasizing the nightclub district theme and purposefully moving back towards more of a real neighborhood with more housing and retail.  Westport will still be a neighborhood nightlife destination, but I think over time Downtown will become the premier nightclub zone. And I think this is a good thing for both places.
I guess I just haven't experienced the same move toward becoming a neighborhood destination.  I think you are correct that this is what it will inevitably become, but for the time being, this simply isn't the case. 

From spring until fall, when the weather is nice, the entire district is barricaded for pedestrian traffic.  The lines of people entering from the east and west on westport road are always long.  Once inside, it seems like the longest lines can usually be found at America's Pub and Beaumont Club, two of the biggest dance clubs in WP, MC, and Plaza combined.  Occassionally, (about 2x a summer), there will even be cage fighting in the parking lot across the street from Beaumont.  Kelly's and Harpo's can hardly be considered your typical neighborhood bars either.  Bottom line, while the district has all the makings of a local nightlife destination, there are simply too many bars and dance clubs that suggest otherwise.  Over time, I think they'll wither away.  For the time being, however, they're as popular as ever. And good luck convincing the owners of these places that the Westport Business District doesn't even really want their establishments there in the first place.         
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

dangerboy wrote: Buzzard is still there.  The piano bar is next door in what was once Have a Nice Day Cafe, above Panera.
Or where the Cactus Cafe used to be.  Whatever memory serves you best.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

My first time in Vino tonight started out great and was great all the way through. I can not get into the way that my food presentation was though. It was like they made the smallest portions possible. I did not like the high prices for such a small portion as I had a Ceazer salad, a Sausage pizza, a pumpkin gellato, and a sprite, total bill came to $28.00. the atmosphere was great though as the chef came to my table and talked. I got to talk to the head manager and the wait staff was awesome. I hope that the rest of the district is this great atmosphere wise. Price wise it could have been cheeper.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I wish this place would get their damn website functional.  I want to see the menu.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Impossible to get a reservation.  Website won't work.  I even went in and asked for a reservation for the next day.  The guy at the front said he couldn't do it and gave me the card of the events coordinator.  Never got a response.  Get it together people!
cakea
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cakea »

The menu is functional.  The first thing that comes up is the wine list but if you look at the very bottom of page there are five selections to choose from. - Wine, afternoon, evening, after, and cocktails.  If you click on Afternoon it will give you the current menu.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

cakea wrote: The menu is functional.  The first thing that comes up is the wine list but if you look at the very bottom of page there are five selections to choose from. - Wine, afternoon, evening, after, and cocktails.  If you click on Afternoon it will give you the current menu.
So I stand corrected...somewhat.

But now, I'm going to bitch about how they make it so easy to miss that there is ACTUALLY a menu on their website.  Bad website design.  How many others clicked on menu, saw Wine: Coming Soon, and left?  How about formulating the webpage so that I don't need 4 computer screens hooked up to see all parts of the site without scrolling all over the damn place?!?!  :-k
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Since the management at Vinino will surely be directed to this site, I have to add two cents. 

A business owner friend went there and loved it.  Decided to give all their employees $20 gift certificates to try out the place.  Tried by phone to arrange, was told they did not have them yet, but come in and they would arrange for something.  They went in and were told "sorry we don't have them yet and didn't we make that clear on the phone?"  Then they were promised that they were in the mail and that a manager would call as they arrived.  That was a week ago.

My friend bought 20 gift certificates from each of two other restaurants downtown, yesterday.

Not the end of the world, but the little stuff counts.

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Impossible to get a reservation.  Website won't work.  I even went in and asked for a reservation for the next day.  The guy at the front said he couldn't do it and gave me the card of the events coordinator.  Never got a response.  Get it together people!
I had the same experience.  After finding no contact info. anywhere, I basically just figured I'd have to drive down there to make the reservation.  Luckily, I found a number in a newspaper ad.  But, go figure, nobody ever picked up when I tried calling.  Finally, weeks later, a family member got through to somebody and made the reservation.  For the new, hot place, it definately should not be this hard to make a f'n reservation.  Had the reservation date been closer, we would have simply gone to a different restuarant. 
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

My brother-in-law had reservations there tonight for 6:30. Vinino called him back today and asked to move the reservations back to 7:30.  He told them thanks, but no thanks. Now they are headed to Seven.

I've never heard of anyplace doing this.

KCDowntown
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Wow, that's a lot of negativity in one day on this place.  Are they aware that something needs to change and QUICK?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCDowntown wrote: My brother-in-law had reservations there tonight for 6:30. Vinino called him back today and asked to move the reservations back to 7:30.  He told them thanks, but no thanks. Now they are headed to Seven.

I've never heard of anyplace doing this.

KCDowntown
On a Tuesday night no less. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

sounds like whoever took the reservations f'ed up and Vinino wants the customer to take the heat on it.  yikes.  i would have said "sure, 7:30 is awesome, assuming that our entrees will be free." 

with all new places there are usually some initial kinks to work out, but it seems like Vinino is doing a good job of creating its own kinks.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: with all new places there are usually some initial kinks to work out, but it seems like Vinino is doing a good job of creating its own kinks.
You would think that would be the advantage of opening a large corporate restaurant - they should have bulletproof reservation systems and canned web pages, ready to go out of the box.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe they are going for that "two years out of date, kansascitymenus.com site" sort of local flair?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You would think that would be the advantage of opening a large corporate restaurant - they should have bulletproof reservation systems and canned web pages, ready to go out of the box.
It's not a friggin' Applebee's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Vinino restaurant anywhere.

I will say that many customers will be turned off by the Vegas-like presentation that will probably come out of most of the kitchens of the P+L. However, there are more fans of Vegas in this region than fans of Succotash or Waldo Pizza. I fully expect there will probably be casualties in the P+L before the entire thing is even open-- same thing happens in other high traffic areas like Oak Park, Westport, Plaza, Zona Rosa, Town Center Plaza, etc.

Also fyi, Vinino put $2.5 M into its space.  8)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

trailerkid wrote:Also fyi, Vinino put $2.5 M into its space.  8)
And they forgot a working telephone?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: It's not a friggin' Applebee's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Vinino restaurant anywhere.
True but they aren't ma and pa either - I would think their organization would be pretty accustomed to doing all of the standard restaurant set ups by now.  I assume that Cordish probably uses the same POS systems, reservation systems, back office support, personnel guidelines, web hosts, etc. at all of their operations. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kard wrote: And they forgot a working telephone?
Beat me to it!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote: It's not a friggin' Applebee's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Vinino restaurant anywhere.
That doesn't matter since the people behind it do have the experience.  Now, if it was someone like myself opening up such a restaurant then that is a different story.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.