Vinino

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Vinino

Post by ComandanteCero »

So they're opening tomorrow (Friday?):

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/363173.html
New wine bar and bistro opens today in Power & Light District

Vinino, a southern European wine bar and bistro, is the latest concept to open in the Kansas City Power & Light District.
The operation, at 1320 Grand Blvd., opens at 4 p.m. today. It is next to its sister restaurant, McFadden’s Sports Saloon.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Vinino

Post by anniewarbucks »

I wondered why these 2 establishments looked so much alike.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
bruce
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bruce »

I got to go to Vinino on Wednesday night with a friend and we had a great time. I really loved what they did with the space, great ambience. By the time we got there they had run out of everything but pizza but we got to try three different kinds and they were fantastic. To drink we had their house red which was really good I thought. I can't wait to go back to this place.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I just got back from Vinnino and overall I was pretty impressed.  It was pretty empty when we walked it at 4:30 and was still pretty empty when we left at 5:30.  The were having some problems with the ventilation system when we arrived and the place was full of smoke from the wood fire for the pizzas.  We just sat at the bar and had drinks and food.  The tables all had a trio of oil/hummus/(I couldn't tell what the third thing was) so we asked for the same at the bar and they brought us some complimentary hummus and oil.  Drinks are all made with fresh squeezed juices which really makes a huge difference.  The mojito and caiparhina were some of the best I have had in a long time.  7-8$ per drink.  They didn't have the full menu available, several small plates for $6 and a few large plates for $18-20.  I had the proscietto pizza and my friend had the mushroom and they were both excellent.  If you have been to pizza bella, very similar in quality and quantity.  Pizzas were $12. 

I think it will be a great addition to the downtown restaurant scene.  Freshly made drinks is what separates this place from others in my mind.  We were asking the bar manager about what the hours of service were going to be and all he knew was that they were going to be open 'till 3am Th-Sat.  He didn't know the hours of the kitchen.  He also didn't know what they were shooting for scene wise staying open until 3.  With McFaddens being the 'late night drunk club', I don't know what niche they will fill.  I have to work tonight so if anyone is out tonight, swing by there after 1 or so and let us all know what it is like and if they are still serving food. 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

We went in last night -- they were VERY busy (I think mostly overflow traffic from McFaddens since most people didn't even know this place was there).  Food looked and smelled good.  There was about an hour wait for dinner so we opted for Pizza Bella instead, but it looked like a fun place -- and it was very fun to see so many people out and about in downtown KC.

I'm really curious though, with all the people at Vinino and McFaddens, what areas are taking a hit from the decreased traffic?  Westport maybe?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

I'm really curious though, with all the people at Vinino and McFaddens, what areas are taking a hit from the decreased traffic?  Westport maybe?
nope. johnson county.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Yeah, come to the show me state suckas!!!!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

midtown guy wrote:I'm really curious though, with all the people at Vinino and McFaddens, what areas are taking a hit from the decreased traffic?  Westport maybe?
I think it's tough to make any conclusions based just on two restaurants.  Once the entire district opens up, i think we'll be able to get a better sense of who's hurting and who isn't.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I was thinking this as I was heading to Tower last night. I has happy to see it was crowded starting at around 10:30 or so. Martini corner seemed crowded overall. Obviously, it was just one night, so you can't say for sure.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i was also at vinino last night. we just had wine, so i can't speak about the food. wines were grouped by price -- $5.75, $6.75, and $8 (i think). good selection. the best thing about this place is it might thin out the joco crowd at JP so i don't have to worry about getting a booth on a saturday night.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

midtown guy wrote: I'm really curious though, with all the people at Vinino and McFaddens, what areas are taking a hit from the decreased traffic?  Westport maybe?
I also think it is too early too know which areas will be adversely affected by P&L.  However, looking long-term, I think Westport and Martini Corner are at risk.  I think JoCo has the population base to at least maintain decent business.  The Plaza is such a unique destination both architecturally and historically that it will never fall out of the spotlight in Kansas City.  Westport, on the other hand, has done little to ensure its long term viability as an entertainment draw.  From trashy, cheap bars to the ever-growing consistency of a 2am shooting, this district will assuredly lose $$$ at the expense of P&L.  While I like Martini Corner, I think it too will meet the same fate. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Westport has been catering more to the local residents and is specifically not wanting to be a 20-something party zone to the metro anymore.  Martini Corner is also mostly serving its immediate neighborhood, which is growing - and midtowners/downtowners.  As long as the retail can cater to the 10-20 block radius, they'll do fine. 

Westport/Martini Corner will benefit more by serving midtown residents and becoming neighborhood retailers than being metro party zones.

If P&L affected any place it would be the Plaza.  But the Plaza is a shopping district for mainstream tastes and P&L is an entertainment district for mainstream tastes.  They will complement each other more than compete.

BTW, when is the last time there was a 2am shooting in Westport?  And which trashy/cheap bars are you referring to?  I'll take One80, Harry's, Kelly's, Korma Sutra, Broadway Cafe over anything going into P&L. There are a few party places that could go though.  I tried McFaddens Saturday, was the worst food I've had in a long time and is very generic looking.  Food at McCoys is light years better for B&G food.

P&L will attract those who want sanitized manufactured culture - which is fine.  Westport will do well because of those who can't stand the kind of fabricated experience P&L will offer.  But I am glad P&L is happening downtown as it should have something for everyone, and lots of people love manufactured culture of Vegas and Orlando.  And P&L is only one personality of many districts downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Went to Vinino tonight.....wish they had the entire menu ready but what they had was a good selection....place was kind of loud, seemed more like a wine bar than an Italian restaurant.....two huge bars with a bar on the outside deck as well.

Pleasantly surprised how many people were there...not packed but a good amount of people there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ignatius wrote: Westport has been catering more to the local residents and is specifically not wanting to be a 20-something party zone to the metro anymore.  Martini Corner is also mostly serving its immediate neighborhood, which is growing - and midtowners/downtowners.  As long as the retail can cater to the 10-20 block radius, they'll do fine. 

Westport/Martini Corner will benefit more by serving midtown residents and becoming neighborhood retailers than being metro party zones.
If you think that Westport and Martini Corner are two local, neighborhood districts you must be going to places that I've never been.  Sure, there are local establishments that attract older crowds, but by an large, the biggest crowds are made up of people in their 20s.  While many of these people do in fact live within 20 blocks of WP and MC, I think that this point is irrelevant.  This population goes to WP because it's a change from the Plaza.  That, or they want cheap drinks and a younger, undergrad, crowd (see Harpos or Kelly's).  This same population goes to MC because they want the new, cool, hipster scene (see Sol, Velvet Dog, Empire Room).  I think you're trying to give the impression that these districts are fueled by older locals who won't be attracted to a new, fresh entertainment scene.  In my experience in both places, this is not the case at all. 
ignatius wrote: BTW, when is the last time there was a 2am shooting in Westport?  And which trashy/cheap bars are you referring to?  I'll take One80, Harry's, Kelly's, Korma Sutra, Broadway Cafe over anything going into P&L. There are a few party places that could go though.  I tried McFaddens Saturday, was the worst food I've had in a long time and is very generic looking.  Food at McCoys is light years better for B&G food.
May 21st.  The last of many shootings in and around Westport.  Don't tell me I'm being naiive.  Westport is one of the more dangerous places to be walking around at 3am on a weekend.  See the following link, does a pretty good job making my point for me:  http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2007/05/ ... oting.html.
Trashy bars = America's Pub, Beaumont Club, The Hurricane, Buzzard Beach (out of business), etc.  Don't think the bars in MC are trashy.  I like that area, for the most part.  And, not here to defend McFaddens or Vinino, but I didn't see much generic about MFs.  Didn't have the food.

ignatius wrote: P&L will attract those who want sanitized manufactured culture - which is fine.  Westport will do well because of those who can't stand the kind of fabricated experience P&L will offer.  But I am glad P&L is happening downtown as it should have something for everyone, and lots of people love manufactured culture of Vegas and Orlando.  And P&L is only one personality of many districts downtown.
I don't believe in sanitized, manufactured culture.  Culture is simply a creation of the people.  Over time, this district will create its own history and develop its own culture.  The fact that it is brand new is irrelevant.  Sure, it's a new bar, but so are countless establishments in the metro.  In due time, P&L will not only be the place to be socially, it will be the place to live and work.  Westport and Martini Corner will take a direct hit because of that reality.  They will not disapear.  They won't fail.  But, they will change.  IMO, Martini Corner will change less because there only four bars there to begin with.  Westport, however, will change into the very neighborhood drinking hole that you attempted to describe above.  Some bars will close and it will be left as a a shell of its former self attracting locals and neighborhood residents.  The younger crowds will migrate to P&L.  Who knows, maybe this will never happen.  I just think that many more 20-somethings frequent WP and MC than you recognize.  And those people are going to be more attracted to P&L than you might think.   
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

buzzard beach went out of business?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

KC-wildcat, I think we are pretty much saying the same thing.  There are some Westport party bars that will go away partly because of P&L but also because Westport doesn't really want to serve the party crowd to the degree it used to.

But I don't think Westport or MC will be impacted because of P&L.  They will change as neighborhood places because that is what they'd rather be whether P&L happened or not.  P&L actually will help them by grabbing some of the party crowd.

On your perspective that P&L isn't manufactured, I see your point.  But many people can't stand the Vegas/Orlando mode of entertainment and tend to avoid that.  There will be a decent % of people who will avoid P&L for the same reasons, just as there are many who avoid the Plaza.  And WP/MC may be more attractive to those with that perception.  As well as other parts of downtown.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

DaveKCMO wrote: buzzard beach went out of business?
On second thought, I don't think they are out of business.  Originally, I thought Ernie Biggs Piano Bar replaced BB.  Though I'm not positive, I don't think this is true.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KC-wildcat wrote: On second thought, I don't think they are out of business.  Originally, I thought Ernie Biggs Piano Bar replaced BB.  Though I'm not positive, I don't think this is true.
It isn't. EB is where Have a Nice Day was.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Buzzard is still there.  The piano bar is next door in what was once Have a Nice Day Cafe, above Panera.

Westport was already de-emphasizing the nightclub district theme and purposefully moving back towards more of a real neighborhood with more housing and retail.  Westport will still be a neighborhood nightlife destination, but I think over time Downtown will become the premier nightclub zone. And I think this is a good thing for both places.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

dangerboy wrote: Westport will still be a neighborhood nightlife destination, but I think over time Downtown will become the premier nightclub zone. And I think this is a good thing for both places.
Bingo.