Architects: Louis Curtiss Buildings

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Architects: Louis Curtiss Buildings

Post by FangKC »

There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Virginia Hotel on Washington Street on Quality Hill.

The Progress Club (now YMCA) on Washington Street.

Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Is that a gravestone in the front yard?

the only thing for sure is change.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No gravestones.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

FangKC wrote: No gravestones.
Historical marker? Aunt Sarah? Looks like a gravestone to me..
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I guess it is.  I really must wait for the photo to load.  :P
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

That's really strange. I've never seen a marker like that in a front yard. Maybe it was a beloved dog?
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

My grandparents owned the Hoel house at 2108 Washington Blvd. from the late 1930's to the late 1980's.  They are the ones who added the now-gone tennis court and enclosed the front porch.  It's a wonderful house and I think it sparked my interest in architectural history. The people who bought it from my grandfather's estate had it featured on HGTV's If Walls Could Talk.  It had just been sold again when I was back in KCK in 2006.  It was my first time back since my family moved from there in in 1965.  I was stunned.  It used to be a vibrant town and a good place to live.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Cyclops wrote: Is that a gravestone in the front yard?

Actualy it is a prayer. This is the rectory for St. Josephs parish here in Topeka.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

HypnoRaygun wrote: .
Changes to Hoel House:

The brick surrounding the fireplace in the living room of the Hoel house was painted in the 1980's by my grandfather's (Carl Rice) second wife (Virginia Docking-wife of Papa Doc).  He wasn't happy, but didn't fight it.  Obviously the natural brick looked a lot better.  She also took up the carpet and exposed the hardwood floors. 

My grandparents enclosed the front porch & turned it into a music room.  It was notable because there was a full size harp in the window that was visible from the street.  The main entry then became what had been a door to the patio, entered by going up the steps to the right.  The original front porch was dark and recessed and no one ever used it. 

They also built the now-gone tennis court.  It wasn't regulation size (no back court) because my grandfather didn't want to cut down the tree at the end of it.  I don't know what was there before the tennis court. 

The property extended down N. 22nd and around the corner to Oakland Ave.  The corner lot was sold off and a house was built there.  My mother was upset because she thought her father should have put a swimming pool there.  I don't know if the original property extended beyond the corner lot.  I always thought it was odd that there was no back yard and the neighbors' back yards on Oakland were about 5-6 feet from the back of the house. 

The next owners remodeled part of the basement 'rec' room.  I don't know if it was original to the house.  When I saw it in 2001, the stairs to the basement still had the linoleum tiles I remember from the 1950's.
They had also left the vines painted on the walls of the master bedroom.  My grandmother had those done and there paintings of the two of them hung in the middle. My grandfather didn't much like them because he said he felt like he was sleeping in a jungle. 

The interior of the house looked much different in the 1940's through the 1970's.  My grandmother had lovely antiques and expensive furniture and it had a very formal and elegant appearance.   

This is what I found regarding Topeka, KS. Most, if not all, appear to be gone, or they were just a remodel. So I don't know if they are still around or not.

David Mulvane residence, 1035 Van Buren, Topeka, Kansas, c. 1904 (demolished).

A. Fassler residence, Topeka, Ks.  C.5. (blueprints)

A. Morse residence alterations, Topeka, Ks.

Bethany College stone and concrete porch addition, Topeka, Ks.

Topeka Country Club, Topeka, Ks. 

I liked the Harry G. Miller Sr. home the best. It appears it is the most "complete" or semi period restoration of the two. (vs. Jesse A Hoel house). I believe the owner of the Hoel home, hasn't owned it very long. So I don't know if he intends to try to revert modern cover ups of historic designs or not. (I got his information, so I will try to check with him).

The Miller home was just great. You really can't tell from outside, but (you can see in the pictures) once inside, there is a dark yellowish glass incorporated into the designs, that casts a great light into the home. This is mainly seen in the entry way.

I was told the wall designs are all original. I didn't post a lot of these designs, due to the pictures being blurry. It was dark in there, and I don't like to use flash. But a lot of the wood works along the walls and on the walls themselves, arts and crafts type designs were painted on them. VERY cool. There was even a clock built into the woodwork!

The ceiling of the living room was Barrel Vaulted. It was a gold color and had a really neat design on it. To me the entryway and main living room were the highlights. It was way beyond my expectations. Just great.

The Jesse A Hoel home is also very nice. I really like the external designs of that home. Once inside it is also very nice, but it does not feel ...period to the design. There were some historic photos showing the house inside from a long time ago, and there were designs on the walls which are covered up now. They really reminded me of Charles Rennie Mackintosh designs. Small squares in a linear design. It would nice to see this home restored to a more period feel.

Overall.. both were very nice homes and they have wonderful owners! I feel very fortunate to be able to go inside and take photos.

I can't wait to see the Bernard Corrigan residence.
HypnoRaygun
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by HypnoRaygun »

Those photos from the Corrigan home are nice, but the home looks a LOT different now. Where it is all white around the windows, it is now black and more natural tones. It is one of the most amazing homes I have ever been inside. It is said that Curtiss himself hand painted the numbers on that large clock.

Here are a few pictures I "took" while there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypnoraygu ... 211861315/
KCDowntownLoop
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCDowntownLoop »

Just took some pics of the Curtiss studio and residence Downtown for The Loop and am wondering: What's the status of this building?

(Also, what is the best way to post images on KC Rag? TIA)

(Also, also, the pic will be in tomorrow's Loop email: www.kcdowntownloop.com)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is movement on the Louis Curtiss Studio building. A plan appears to be forming for a renovation.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="800" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
We are thrilled to be working with developer Richard Reding and Boti Studio while they transform this jewel of a building into mixed use (residential apartments and commercial). Stay tuned for periodic updates!

https://www.facebook.com/RosinPreservation

Interior photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0zxzCdsSRB ... BiNWFlZA==
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:18 pm There is movement on the Louis Curtiss Studio building. A plan appears to be forming for a renovation.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="800" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
We are thrilled to be working with developer Richard Reding and Boti Studio while they transform this jewel of a building into mixed use (residential apartments and commercial). Stay tuned for periodic updates!

https://www.facebook.com/RosinPreservation

Interior photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0zxzCdsSRB ... BiNWFlZA==
Great to see

"We are thrilled to be working with developer Richard Reding and Boti Studio while they transform this jewel of a building into mixed use (residential apartments and commercial)"
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Interior looks in way better condition than I expected!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Curtiss certainly had eclectic influences; some of this reminds me of Barcelona or Brussels.