ONGOING: Fix this House!

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

ONGOING: Fix this House!

Post by AllThingsKC »

I met up with schugg today to take some photos.  It was later in the day, so we didn't have much time for daylight.  But, we did manage to take some photos of some older houses what we would love to see brought back to their former glory.

So, we're going to start this thread for people to post their photos of houses that they think should be renovated.
We were only able to take photos of 2 houses today.  But, we plan on posted more as we go along.  Here's something to get started:

House #1.
Located on The Paseo (between 10th Street & 11th Street).  We believe this house about was built in the late 1800's.  It is a historic landmark.  I believe it is currently being renovated:

House #2.
Located on the NE corner of 9th & Cleveland, we believe this house was built in the late 1800's or early 1900's.  It is now a distressed property.

The back door of this house is always wide open.  You can see the back door in Photo #8.  This is what it looks like inside:

FangKC, do you have any info about these 2 properties?
KC is the way to be!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: ONGOING: Fix this House!

Post by schugg »

here is another pic of the first house.

the house on 9th street in northeast looks like someone made a crappy attempt to renovate it. the original lintels had decorative carvings on them which some remain as you can see.  the ones replaced were replaced with freakin cinder blocks! the fascias and soffits had been started on and even painted but it was given up on. same with some wood work around other parts of cornice.
a window in back had been replaced but with a modern new vinyl window and was too short for the six foot original space, so a piece of plywood was used to fill the gap between the top lintel and the window.  pathetic! 

I hope this house will some how be saved. we plan on going back for more pics and possibly inside if the back door is still open. It got dark on us real quick.

all I can say is WOW!  1870's?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The first house, at 1016 Paseo Boulevard,  is was built for Dr. Generous Henderson and completed in 1899. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and appears to be undergoing renovation.

I've provided more information at this thread:

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 00#p277700

It's one of my favorite houses in Kansas City. It's a singular house style in that there are no others like it in Kansas City.

I don't have any information about the house at 9th and Cleveland.  I would wager at guess that it was built around 1888-1900.  Sometimes I wish that ABC did a show called Extreme Restorations of Historic Houses.  That's a show I'd watch.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

More information on the Henderson Mansion from the KC Public Library.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=1

Folder containing a nomination form for the National Register for the residence of Dr. Generous Henderson (1844-1924), a physician of "private diseases," native to Indiana and coming to Kansas City about 1880, having his house designed by local architect Rudolf Markgraf and built in 1899 at 1016 Paseo Boulevard, across from the Pergola, as "one of the last single-family residential structures remaining on the northern portion of the Paseo Boulevard," and "also one of the few surviving examples of the Second Renaissance Revival style of architecture in Kansas City."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Houses on the 500 block of Bellefontaine.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

FangKC wrote: Houses on the 500 block of Bellefontaine.

Any idea on when these were built?
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

That old photo reminds me of Pendleton Heights.

Good idea for a photo thread guys.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to George Ehrlich, UMKC professor of history, the Queen Anne style houses on Bellefontaine were completed in 1890.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

FangKC wrote: The first house, at 1016 Paseo Boulevard,  is was built for Dr. Generous Henderson and completed in 1899. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and appears to be undergoing renovation.

I've provided more information at this thread:

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 00#p277700

It's one of my favorite houses in Kansas City. It's a singular house style in that there are no others like it in Kansas City.

I don't have any information about the house at 9th and Cleveland.  I would wager at guess that it was built around 1888-1900.  Sometimes I wish that ABC did a show called Extreme Restorations of Historic Houses.  That's a show I'd watch.
I was in the house in March of 2006 while I was putting together a price to renovate the building.

It was in pretty bad shape then. Vandals had removed a lot of the interior finishes. Water damage was also present. I'm sure, 20 months later, that it's in worse shape than it was.

It must have been an amazing structure in its day.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

508 Garfield Avenue, Pendleton Heights -- A five-bedroom, two-bath, 1880 Queen Ann Victorian built by Robert Beatty, Jr.. The 2,900 sq. ft. home has art nouveau fireplaces, pocket doors, original woodwork, porte cochere, balconies, stained glass, butler's pantry. Located in the Garfield National Historic District, this property is on National Register of Historic Places and eligible for historic tax credits.  $199,900

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

519 Benton is an example of what the Queen Anne houses on Bellefontaine could look like when renovated. It's the same style of house.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This house at 3622 Windsor appears to be in decent shape, but just needs a better paint scheme. I have no idea what the interior is like, but it's for sale for $110,000. It's 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, and 1,342 Est. Sq. Ft.

The house is one block from Gladstone Blvd near KC Museam on corner lot, nice quite neighborhood. New windows, washer/dryer and full bath on main floor, ceramic tile in kitchen, sunroom and bathrooms. Out building & fenced in backyard, great front porch.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I was in the Henderson House in the '80's when a middle aged couple had purchased it and were cleaning it up.  It had been a whorehouse for years and even had an SM dungeon in the carriage house.  There was a cistern full of decaying sanitary nabkins and tampons that had to be cleaned out with a bobcat.  Some of the most remarkable features are the coved ceilings, tile work, and the orchestra gallery halfway up the stairs in what appears from the north exterior to be a bay window.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

moderne wrote:   I was in the Henderson House in the '80's when a middle aged couple had purchased it and were cleaning it up.  It had been a whorehouse for years and even had an SM dungeon in the carriage house.  There was a cistern full of decaying sanitary nabkins and tampons that had to be cleaned out with a bobcat.  Some of the most remarkable features are the coved ceilings, tile work, and the orchestra gallery halfway up the stairs in what appears from the north exterior to be a bay window.
I wonder what happened? they cleaned it up then they gave up?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

FangKC wrote: Image
Beautiful!
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I can't believe you went inside that house.  Wow, who knows what could have been lurking in there.

Of course, my favorite house in the area, took these about 2 years ago.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I can't believe you went inside that house.  Wow, who knows what could have been lurking in there.
Well, I didn't go inside.  I got as close as I could to the back door without actually going inside, and took the photo.

PumpkinStalker wrote: Image

Nice house!  Where is it located?
KC is the way to be!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

FangKC wrote: This house at 3622 Windsor appears to be in decent shape, but just needs a better paint scheme. I have no idea what the interior is like, but it's for sale for $110,000. It's 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths, and 1,342 Est. Sq. Ft.

The house is one block from Gladstone Blvd near KC Museam on corner lot, nice quite neighborhood. New windows, washer/dryer and full bath on main floor, ceramic tile in kitchen, sunroom and bathrooms. Out building & fenced in backyard, great front porch.

GAAA!!!

That's MY old house - my first in Historic Northeast.
We completely restored the upstairs bathroom, tile floor, tin wainscotting from W.F. Nroman in Nevada, MO, Stripped 8 coats of paint from the ballustrade (steps, spindles & railing) re-installed a hardwood divider & columns between the LR & DR, complete w/ stained glass panels.
We did a BUNCH to the house. The upstairs bathroom faucett is pure, filagreed brass that was surplus from Ewing & Muriel Kaufmann's mansion. (really!) Had to purchase a special sink just for the faucetts!

By the way, there is a female spirit there, believed to be the ghost of Henrietta Hadley-Lyman, first owner of the house when it was built in 1901. She was the sister of former MO Governor Herbert Hadley.

We did NOT do the point on the house. It was built as a Post-Victorian as per the 1939 tax photo. We sold it in 1996 and moved to a Prairie-Shirtwaist down the street. More room.

Sportster
...man that's still a great house!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

AllThingsKC wrote: Well, I didn't go inside.  I got as close as I could to the back door without actually going inside, and took the photo.

Nice house!  Where is it located?
Looks like Sauerschloss in KCK.

Sportster
...if memory serves correctly
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's known as Sauer Castle. It's located at 935 Shawnee Drive in KCKS.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.