T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by FangKC »

Speed bumps every block?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 pm
Riverite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:31 pm Walnut or main would be a better pedestrianized street.
Possibly, but the city is considering doing something with this stretch of Grand because of the continued safety issues. Mostly the drag racing and ATV groups.
KCMO always trying to solve problems the most idiotic way. Instead of dealing with the actual problem, just move it. Reference westport.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:29 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:03 pm Ever heard of police presence? This is a law enforcement problem. It's just another example of what happens when the City's leadership has no direct control/power over the police department.

Are we also going to shut down Main at Pershing, because there's video of cars spinning around at that intersection as well.

Arrest those doing it on camera, and do a perp walk. Plaster their face all over local media. Impound their car. Make it expensive.
I'm all about police presence but that's not the solution in this case. Not enough cops to dedicate several to watch out for this and even when they are present, the police can't do much out of fear of causing a wreck or injury to innocent bystanders. The people doing this have zero respect for the police. They know at worst, it's a quick trip to the local jail.
Impounded cars now.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:29 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:03 pm Ever heard of police presence? This is a law enforcement problem. It's just another example of what happens when the City's leadership has no direct control/power over the police department.

Are we also going to shut down Main at Pershing, because there's video of cars spinning around at that intersection as well.

Arrest those doing it on camera, and do a perp walk. Plaster their face all over local media. Impound their car. Make it expensive.
I'm all about police presence but that's not the solution in this case. Not enough cops to dedicate several to watch out for this and even when they are present, the police can't do much out of fear of causing a wreck or injury to innocent bystanders. The people doing this have zero respect for the police. They know at worst, it's a quick trip to the local jail.
They will just move to the next block. Need to fix the problem.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cordish and AEG (whatever their name is now) don't care to fix the problem, they just want to removed from their front door. Looking out for their bottom line, I don't blame them.

That said the city shouldn't bow to them and wonk up Grand to try and just appease them.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't ever see a police presence downtown, unless we consider illegally blocked cars to be so.

Presumably they could spare an officer to patrol these areas, which you can hear all through downtown when it happens

Impound cars and start forfeiture procedures.

Let's try some lower key stuff before we start closing streets,
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:21 pm How big of a headache would it be if Grand between 13th and 14th was pedestrian only?
Do you want the street to succeed? If so, history says make it calm (which it's not at the moment) rather than eliminating cars completely. A bazillion ideas from Europe and Asia on how to do this without halting all car access.

This applies to Grand, Walnut, and 18th & Vine -- and even the Plaza.

The planner's advice:

1. The lanes are too wide (I'm guessing 12'+ in this block because boulevard, etc etc). Narrow them to 10' and narrow the parking and turn lanes to 8'. Requires just paint. Zero cars or trucks are 12' wide.
2. There are too many on-street parking restrictions. Eliminate "no parking" restrictions, add meters (self-enforcing) and swap on-street parking with the bike lane adding bollards or parking stops -- all of this will further narrow the vehicle travel area. Relatively low cost and the protected bike lane is already part of the city's bike plan.
3. Intersections are all signalized (a green light means go fast). Again, very low cost to install all-way stop signs -- actually saves the city money in electricity costs.
4. There's a painted median that provides no friction. Build a permanent median and put plants in it, preferably trees. Higher cost, but less impactful than closing the street.
5. Install a radar speed sign, which can have a self-enforcing effect.
6. Install license plate recognition. KCPD does this all over. It's automated enforcement that hasn't seen the backlash of red light cameras (because LPR only covers people who have warrants).
7. Raise the crosswalks, including the mid-block one. Again, relatively cheap. Or at least make them high viz.
8. Add street trees in front of T-Mobile Center. The shade kind, not those skimpy ones that don't create friction at the curb.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'm going to repeat myself from the "trees in kc" thread, but I think it's time to treat our Boulevards like what they're called. They're wide enough to handle some extra wide sidewalks, copious street trees, maybe even some Park Avenue style landscaped medians. Narrow the roadway and add some beauty

Grand "Boulevard"

Park Ave in NYC

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

How about we hang pretend flags up and call it even?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Riverite wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:31 pm Walnut or main would be a better pedestrianized street.
Possibly, but the city is considering doing something with this stretch of Grand because of the continued safety issues. Mostly the drag racing and ATV groups.
Would it just be temporary then? I think this is not a good idea but if it is inevitable I’d like to see temporary market stalls along that road or food trucks
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:48 am
Would it just be temporary then? I think this is not a good idea but if it is inevitable I’d like to see temporary market stalls along that road or food trucks
City Manager has said that permanent changes are coming to Grand to prevent sideshows in the future. A Median alone would be beneficial I think.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I thought they could just raise the barriers between 13th and fourteenth?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:59 am I thought they could just raise the barriers between 13th and fourteenth?
They’ve been doing that already on weekends.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A park Ave median seems cool
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:09 pm I'm going to repeat myself from the "trees in kc" thread, but I think it's time to treat our Boulevards like what they're called. They're wide enough to handle some extra wide sidewalks, copious street trees, maybe even some Park Avenue style landscaped medians. Narrow the roadway and add some beauty

Grand "Boulevard"

Park Ave in NYC

If this is what happens to Grand to stop the street racing, I'm sending all the street racers Christmas cards and coordinating the streets I want them to race on next.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

A wide median heavily landscaped would do wonders for Grand Blvd. It's such a drab strip. New sidewalks would be nice too. All of this could be done for a reasonable amount of money and would attract more development and people just walking up and down Grand.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:44 am A wide median heavily landscaped would do wonders for Grand Blvd. It's such a drab strip. New sidewalks would be nice too. All of this could be done for a reasonable amount of money and would attract more development and people just walking up and down Grand.
Moving the bike lanes into a landscape protected lane on each side would be a good minimum
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

flyingember wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 am
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:44 am A wide median heavily landscaped would do wonders for Grand Blvd. It's such a drab strip. New sidewalks would be nice too. All of this could be done for a reasonable amount of money and would attract more development and people just walking up and down Grand.
Moving the bike lanes into a landscape protected lane on each side would be a good minimum
Yes, this too. Good idea.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:09 pm I'm going to repeat myself from the "trees in kc" thread, but I think it's time to treat our Boulevards like what they're called. They're wide enough to handle some extra wide sidewalks, copious street trees, maybe even some Park Avenue style landscaped medians. Narrow the roadway and add some beauty

Grand "Boulevard"

Park Ave in NYC

I love the idea of landscaped medians. The only modification I’d like to see is making sure they’re large portable concrete structures that can be removed for things like the Big 12 tournament.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:05 am

Grand "Boulevard"

Park Ave in NYC

I love the idea of landscaped medians. The only modification I’d like to see is making sure they’re large portable concrete structures that can be removed for things like the Big 12 tournament.
Why would they need to be removed for big twelve?