T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:59 am I thought they could just raise the barriers between 13th and fourteenth?
They put out water barricades but the ATV gangs just go around them and utilize all of that closed section for their shows.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:07 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:05 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:09 pm I'm going to repeat myself from the "trees in kc" thread, but I think it's time to treat our Boulevards like what they're called. They're wide enough to handle some extra wide sidewalks, copious street trees, maybe even some Park Avenue style landscaped medians. Narrow the roadway and add some beauty

Grand "Boulevard"

Park Ave in NYC

I love the idea of landscaped medians. The only modification I’d like to see is making sure they’re large portable concrete structures that can be removed for things like the Big 12 tournament.
Why would they need to be removed for big twelve?
They’d need to be removable for several applications. I mentioned Big 12 because they always do the large activation with the basketball court etc. Watch parties, festivals etc would benefit from being able to move the planters. Could be moved to use as barricades.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Permanent. Those silly fan fest things can find another home.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:20 am If this is what happens to Grand to stop the street racing, I'm sending all the street racers Christmas cards and coordinating the streets I want them to race on next.
I guess i need to clarify; I’m not expecting the flowers and grass to stop street racing or whatever, I’m expecting narrowing and separating lanes to. I mean I guess if the city is too strapped for cash to maintain landscaping or wide sidewalks, they could just drop huge concrete medians in the middle of the street. It would look a lot worse, but better than nothing if racing is that big of an issue
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:11 am Permanent. Those silly fan fest things can find another home.
I can give you a few million reasons why whatever they do on Grand will be portable. It’s crucial to keep this section of Grand flexible. FIFA, NFL Draft, B12, Soccer and NFL watch events. It would be like installing something permanent at Union Station making it worthless for the big events they do in the parking lot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah those things don't have to be located on grand was my point

Edit. I do get having the flexibility on that section of grand I just worry thst the movable stuff tends to turn to shit quickly
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:05 amI love the idea of landscaped medians. The only modification I’d like to see is making sure they’re large portable concrete structures that can be removed for things like the Big 12 tournament.
I mean I guess that’s ok for the block or two next along P&L, but for the rest of Grand they need to be permanent features
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:05 amI love the idea of landscaped medians. The only modification I’d like to see is making sure they’re large portable concrete structures that can be removed for things like the Big 12 tournament.
I mean I guess that’s ok for the block or two next along P&L, but for the rest of Grand they need to be permanent features
Agree.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 am Yeah those things don't have to be located on grand was my point

Edit. I do get having the flexibility on that section of grand I just worry thst the movable stuff tends to turn to shit quickly
Agree with that concern. Needs to be something high quality that can put up with being moved several times each year. The goal should be that they look permanent.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Another point on the idea of closing grand to cars on a permanent basis. Couple weekends ago walked through and street was blocked so four wheelers just used the sidewalk to access the closed off area and went nuts. Made the problem worse not better.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Thread renamed.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Dang. Thought the update to this thread was announcing expansion team to KC 😂
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

Happy Birthday Sprint Center!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

CorneliusFB wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:54 am Happy Birthday Sprint Center!
How many years now?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Opening day was October 10, 2007. The first event was Oct 13, 2007.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Does anyone know what renovations they want done? I’m sure it’s time, but blugh
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:25 am Does anyone know what renovations they want done? I’m sure it’s time, but blugh
Given the price tag, it can't be big
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Fixing the sign LED sign boards is one aspect. There is something else too but I cant remember what it was
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They just made some major audio/video upgrades on the interior a few years back. Besides upgrading the exterior LED signage which would be over a million via Daktronics, only thing I could think of would be finishing out some suites that were never done. They could reimagine the exterior completely with a huge technology upgrade. Something similar to children's mercy hospital at a minimum and as fancy as The Sphere is Vegas.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I was walking around here earlier, and it's showing its age. The whole outdoor area is badly in need of a think.