T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Are they waiting for decals or something? Why is the powercat floating in the middle of nowhere?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

I went down after work tonight.  I was somewhat skeptical.  I've been to several of the newer arenas (Denver, Dallas) and was skeptical that we could pull off the state of the art facility for what we paid for this.  But wow.  Kansas City has a lot to be proud of with this.  The looks on people's faces were incredible.  It's very, very cool.  The sightlines seem incredible (It feels like stadium seating -- very verticle).

And I had heard that the CBE wasn't going to be open...but it looks like it will be a great time and and fun for the kids.  This will be awesome for major basketball events...

I was very, very impressed.  I wish that the P&L was going to have more local businesses in it, but I was so impressed by the arena...nice.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I have some picture that I plan to post later.

Did anyone get photos of the complete basketball floor? 
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Sprint Center is off the charts.

I can't really think of any real problems.

KCPowercat mentions that lack of escalators on the east side.  I do tend to agree with that.

Being a Missouri guy, I was a bit irritated that the sports store is all Chiefs, KU and Kstate, I mean, this arena is in Kansas City, Missouri.  I know I will get shit for even bringing that up, but come on.

I totally get the arena selling KU and Kstate memorabilia, but come one, at least put the same amount of MU gear up too.  Geez.

Same with the Royals.

But that is a minor issue.

The arena rocks, the views of the city from that thing are just incredible, One KC places looks like it's 75 stories tall.

I did a lot of eaves dropping and most people in that arena probably have not been downtown in years, if ever by the way they were trying to figure out what all the surrounding structures were.

This is a great day for KC.

Oh and one more thing.

This arena SCREAMS NBA or NHL.

Every day, every month and every year that goes by without a major league team is just a total shame.

This arena and this city is pumped and primed to support a major league arena team.

Lets get it done.  (then we can have KC jerseys in those stores and ditch all the KU stuff! :))
Last edited by GRID on Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: I totally get the arena selling KU and Kstate memorabilia, but come one, at least put the same amount of MU gear up too.  Geez.
Here's some good news for you, GRID.  The "lack" of Mizzou stuff is just a matter if opionion.

I heard 2 people talking and they said, "Why is there so much Missouri stuff?  It takes up a lot of room."

Of course, I wanted to smack them.  But, my point is that people noticed there were a lot of Missouri stuff.
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote: Here's some good news for you, GRID.  The "lack" of Mizzou stuff is just a matter if opionion.

I heard 2 people talking and they said, "Why is there so much Missouri stuff?  It takes up a lot of room."

Of course, I wanted to smack them.  But, my point is that people noticed there were a lot of Missouri stuff.
That's BS, as soon as you walk in that store, it's mostly KU stuff, the MU stuff is towards the back (what MU stuff they have).  It just seems the arena is trying real hard to appeal to the JoCo crowd, or maybe KUMed helped design the store!

Seriously, it's not a big deal, I just noticed it.  Get a real team in there and all that goes away (to a P&L district store).  I want a new "Kansas CITY" jersey in the NBA or NHL so bad I can taste it.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Man, I'm getting more and more upset with every hyped-up response I read after having to move to DC last week for a job.  I can't wait to come home for Thanksgiving and have a look at this jewel in person.  The place looks absolutely spectacular in the pictures and I can only imagine the sensations of seeing it live and looking at DT KC beyond the glass walls.  I'm so f'ing jealous of you guys.  

I think the most inspiring and promising result from this are the reactions of so many people who rarely -- if ever --visit downtown.  As amazing as this place is, most forumers would find other reasons to be downtown even if the arena never materialized; it's attracting those foreign to downtown that is indicative of a bright future for the arena, the P&L, downtown and KC proper.  Way to go, KC!  
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Sprint Center opening day pictures

Post by Maitre D »

GRID wrote: Being a Missouri guy, I was a bit irritated that the sports store is all Chiefs, KU and Kstate, I mean, this arena is in Kansas City, Missouri.  I know I will get shit for even bringing that up, but come on.

I totally get the arena selling KU and Kstate memorabilia, but come one, at least put the same amount of MU gear up too.  Geez.
Easy answer: KU is a college hoops powerhouse.  The KC region is lucky that a top-5 program resides a 1/2 hour away from the SC.   Be happy GRID, that KU is down the street.

It IS the college basketball HOF.   I'd see your point if it was the football or whatever, HOF.  If you're a Mizzery guy, take comfort knowing they're in the first Guardians tourney at SC.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC12 »

UNBELiEVABLE

There is no other way to describe the Sprint Center!!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Among the greatest arenas ever.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I checked it out tonight (around 8 pm).  Parked in the Crossroads (near Baltimore and 16th), easily got to the Arena in less than 6 minutes (walking at a normal pace). 

Quite a crowd!

Easily the most people I've seen walking around the Loop after 6 in the time i've lived in KC.  A number of folks were curiously strolling through the district (you can just tell the district will be packed to the gills on event nights).  Some dude was complaining about the buildings "just not fitting" (hehe).

The arena was nice, i don't think i'm going to add anything special to what everyone's already said.  The exposed beam with the fireproofing didn't bother me, i probably wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out (because i was looking out towards the city the whole time i was going up to the escalator, as most of the other people were).

I wish the windows to the south were a little more see through, cause you can tell it's an awesome view.

Lots and lots and lots of people walking around oohing and aahing and smiling and genuinely excited to be in the building. 

Seemed most everyone had found parking, and saw lots of folks walking towards garages and surface lots in all directions from the arena. 

The bums were mostly unseen, although i did see two guys grabbing at each other/wrestling at the bus stop on Grand, freaking out a group of suburban teens.

When i arrived Grand was pretty clear and traffic was going smooth, people were respecting the "No Parking" signs, but when i left around 9 people had started parking along it causing some back ups for folks trying to head south from the garages (because of the sudden one lane).  Considering there weren't many people, I'd make sure there were cops ticketing and towing to keep those lanes clear.  Of course i might have missed something, and they have every right to park there.

That was another thing that came to mind (seeing the bums wrestling), I didn't see any cops.  There very well might have been some, but i didn't see any.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I went back tonight for another look, here's some additional shots...

KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC12 »

WallStHawk wrote: [quote author=FangKC
Yay!  Another former New Yorker. I was feeling a bit lonely.

The Municipal Building tower has always been one of my favorite NYC buildings. It often gets lost or ignored because there are just so many great buildings there, but it would be a landmark tower on any other city's skyline.  I think it's a  magical building.

I should clarify, that picture is from the 52nd floor roof deck and obviously facing north.  My actual unit was a few floors below and faced west with views of the Woolworth Building.
This is a KC Forum to let you know.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

touring the suites tonight, they already had pull lists for the suites on the tables....if they didn't want people to know who owned the suites, might lay those out after the open house :)

I went again tonight....awesome to see so many people milling around...people with me were amazed that so many people were down just to tour the arena...told them people are just waiting for an excuse to come downtown.  Thoughts from this evening:

- Thought you'd be able to see the night skyline better...with all the lights inside, that wasn't the case
- the CBE is awesome....I can see people wasting hours there.
- some surrounding streets need their lights installed...most notable 13th between baltimore and main.  Very dark.
- P&L needs to put coming soon signs in windows to get the buzz going
- Surprised the bumblebees weren't out
- the arena is one sexy bitch.  Most unique arena I've ever seen in America....great job design team...you've given KC a true gem.
- lack of automated bathroom fixtures was mentioned again and again....seems like the biggest wiff of the arena.

thank you to all who made it happen.....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

scooterj wrote: Image
Thank God. I won't have to sit through another game with "Kansas City" in Comic Sans font on the court. The Comic Sans is just on the roof. What is the deal with this city and that horrible font?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

scooterj wrote: Image
:shock:  (shits self)  :shock:
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

go KC!

i wish i was back at home to see this. the arena looks amazing.

as per the earlier posts i really hope we land a major league team!
midwestbridges
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by midwestbridges »

I am very amazed by the arena, the volume of people on the streets this morning/afternoon; the area was a buzz!  I went on my first bus ride ever on a KCATA bus today, riding the MAX from Waldo to the Arena stop, took about 35 minutes (but hey, no parking hassles!), and I was totally impressed with our local transit system.  This was the first time I went walking around or even been inside the DT Loop in years.  My SC pictures are on page 3, I will add some more to my MySpace in a little: http://www.myspace.com/benpru84

It makes me want to move away from the ex-urbs; the 173 takes me right to work at the Ameristar.  I gotta move anyway in March, but to where...
Ben Prusia
VORTEXpursuit.com Storm Chasing
Gardner, Kansas

I may live in Gardner...but I work in KCMO.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

Wow ScooterJ.  The 9th and 14th photos look almost fake they look so good.