T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by Link2 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:15 pm It’s alot easier now when Texas isn’t there anymore trying to make everything go to Texas. Expect more of this as long the Big 12 stays intact.
Logic would convince you that's the case; but it's actually more difficult now with Bowlsby leaving and the addition of four new schools -- each of which has indicated their desire to host the men's tournament.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Link2 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:32 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:15 pm It’s alot easier now when Texas isn’t there anymore trying to make everything go to Texas. Expect more of this as long the Big 12 stays intact.
Logic would convince you that's the case; but it's actually more difficult now with Bowlsby leaving and the addition of four new schools -- each of which has indicated their desire to host the men's tournament.
I doubt it. Most Big 12 fans can reach KC easily and that’s why it works so well. Now, KU is their most valuable asset by far and they can’t afford to lose them my taking the tourney out of KC. If you lose KU, then yeah the conference is probably done for real.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Junior members from smaller conference have zero say
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:42 am Junior members from smaller conference have zero say
Accounts from recent meetings between member schools and the conference would indicate otherwise. Now, KC is still in the driver's seat -- but there will likely be increased competition on future bids.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I'm sure they are trying to make their case and report back to their cities how they were fighting for them
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:12 am Oh I'm sure they are trying to make their case and report back to their cities how they were fighting for them
I don’t think he realized that these new schools were begging to join the conference. In other words, they’re in no position to make demands lol. They’re lucky they even get invited.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:12 am Oh I'm sure they are trying to make their case and report back to their cities how they were fighting for them
I don’t think he realized that these new schools were begging to join the conference. In other words, they’re in no position to make demands lol. They’re lucky they even get invited.
I fully understand the process with which these schools were admitted to the conference. Just stating that the process to secure future years will likely be much more convoluted -- especially with a new commissioner soon to be in place.

Just as an example it could even be a situation where KC is awarded three out of four years, with one year going to a different city. There is a lot of work that goes on behind each extension, and it's certainly not just handed to KC. And that was prior to both the realignment and the soon-to-be new leadership.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Link2 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am
I fully understand the process with which these schools were admitted to the conference. Just stating that the process to secure future years will likely be much more convoluted -- especially with a new commissioner soon to be in place.

Just as an example it could even be a situation where KC is awarded three out of four years, with one year going to a different city. There is a lot of work that goes on behind each extension, and it's certainly not just handed to KC. And that was prior to both the realignment and the soon-to-be new leadership.
If there's a change coming, my guess would be the football game. The setup is pretty fair right now with Texas getting it & KC getting basketball. If you upset the basketball situation then the football situation will become unstable as well for Texas and neither Texas or KC want that. So I doubt anything will change.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

We're talking about Orlando only here, right? Provo Utah isn't going to get the Big 12 basketball tourney. Or West Virginia. Cincinnati couldn't even sellout a USMNT game and I don't see much draw to travel there. The only reason Kansas City doesn't get the Big 12 basketball tournament for a year is because we trade it for the football championship at Arrowhead for one year. It makes to much sense to have it here.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:05 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:42 am Junior members from smaller conference have zero say
Big 12 is a dying conference they don't have the luxury of ignoring the new schools.
They still need the Big 12 more than the other way around. The bigger legit schools can bolt and be fine, and the smaller ones have to appease them to keep it together.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Goonies wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:05 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:23 pm We're talking about Orlando only here, right? Provo Utah isn't going to get the Big 12 basketball tourney. Or West Virginia. Cincinnati couldn't even sellout a USMNT game and I don't see much draw to travel there. The only reason Kansas City doesn't get the Big 12 basketball tournament for a year is because we trade it for the football championship at Arrowhead for one year. It makes to much sense to have it here.
Houston
Yeah, that makes no sense. I could see Dallas, I guess. Half the conference is a 3 hour drive from there. Doubling that for most would put it too far. If you're going to do Houston, you might as well make it Orlando since most will need to fly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

anyways, this has steered away from tmobile talk partially due to my comments.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Tempe votes no on the NHL Coyotes arena/district. An opportunity for T-Mobile Center?

The Coyotes play at a 5,000 seat collegiate arena after Glendale decided not to renew their contract with the team.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:43 am Tempe votes no on the NHL Coyotes arena/district. An opportunity for T-Mobile Center?

The Coyotes play at a 5,000 seat collegiate arena after Glendale decided not to renew their contract with the team.
Hopefully. The culture of hockey would really fit KC's vibe. Would likely come online around the same time as a downtown Royals stadium which would make downtown come alive with events year round.

Some tough competition with Quebec, Atlanta, Houston and Salt Lake City also in the conversation. And of course, there's the question of who would be the owner (LH Jr.?)
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I'd have season tickets in a heartbeat if we got a hockey team; probably the same for NBA, but I think NHL has a higher likelihood. Just my $.02
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Sure, might as well go for it. It can’t hurt.

Is there any talk they’ll actually move away from Arizona?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

would be sweet if the Coyotes decided to relocate and or get new ownership & relocate. KC would be an option, However I suspect Houston or Atlanta would be the top choices. Quebec would be one as well, depending how bad they wanted a team back. Not sure of the circumstances that lead them to move to Denver. SLC is an option, as they have just the NBA & MLS.

But dare to dream for anything that can give the city some more amenities and attention. My preference would be NBA but never look a gift horse in the mouth (even if it is a pipe dream gift horse 8)
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Get the Sports Commission on it. Nobody seems to be able to say no to Kathy Nelson.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Would be a bad look for the NHL to try Atlanta a third time before letting other cities get a shot so I think they're out. Houston & KC are probably the 1-2 right now, especially if we can get deep pockets involved. I'd honestly put QC at never happening due to Canadian dollar/franchise value, I think Winnipeg getting the Jets back was the final team up there. SLC isn't happening, simply put.

But it all hinges on the commissioner, Gary Bettman, & his nearly 30 year obsession with making Arizona NHL work, despite all the evidence.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KC has an ice hockey NHL spec arena ready to go tomorrow. I’m not sure if the others can say the same