Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by rxlexi »

^^^ not in other midwest cities.  Besides the fact that business location, creation, licensing and visitor services (including parking signage and enforcement) should be absolutely best-in-class DT, given the competitive advantages of the burbs (when instead they are worst in class).  I am agreed in theory, however, 100%.
are we spinning free?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

rxlexi wrote:   ^^^ not in other midwest cities. 
there are some in the midwest...chicago, madison, mpls are some of my favorites that pwn kc in every urban category imaginable.

i'm happy all those cars are getting towed. serves you people right.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

trailerkid wrote:
i'm happy all those cars are getting towed. serves you people right.
That'll teach them to try to come downtown.

They should all stay in the burbs!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mudjack wrote: That'll teach them to try to come downtown.

They should all stay in the burbs!
subsidizing parking and directing all urban activity on every block towards personal auto parking hasn't worked so far.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Cars are going to be a significant part of Kansas City life for a long time to come. It will be a challenge to gracefully accommodate them while encouraging other ways of getting around.

I doubt that snickering at people getting towed from usually legal parking spaces helps us be more urban in any way.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok hate to rehash this but I think p&l's biggest drawback to locals right now, especially officeworkers, is their crazy parking.

the thing is, they advertise all this 2 dollar parking...which is crazy cheap.  Problem is they don't begin this program until after 5pm.  Many office workers going to happy hour go before 5pm....so they see/hear this 2 buck parking sign/ads and go there at 4-430....stay till 8pm and get hit with a 12 buck parking charge (guessing at that number)...this turns off the office happy hour people and they go elsewhere.

I see this example in my office....i like the saucer for hh so I suggest it and the story above is told to me...and another bar is chosen.

I completely understand their need to reign in parking but they need to be consistent with their message....and yes if you advertise 2 dollar parking with validation, that's what it should be...not some confusing timing issue that just pisses off customers.

I am totally down with them chargin overnight parkers as long as they are clearly informed of that when entering (i hear now if they take you money as you park, they tell you it's good till 6am).

make it EASY and SIMPLE for people to park and you'll go a long way to bringing in more customers for things like the clothing store and amc.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

They really should take back H&R Blocks dedicated parking garage.  No convention and a subleased tower should = lose of parking privalages.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Awesome idea Beautyfromashes.  :P
There is no fifth destination.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: ok hate to rehash this but I think p&l's biggest drawback to locals right now, especially officeworkers, is their crazy parking.

the thing is, they advertise all this 2 dollar parking...which is crazy cheap.  Problem is they don't begin this program until after 5pm.  Many office workers going to happy hour go before 5pm....so they see/hear this 2 buck parking sign/ads and go there at 4-430....stay till 8pm and get hit with a 12 buck parking charge (guessing at that number)...this turns off the office happy hour people and they go elsewhere.

I see this example in my office....i like the saucer for hh so I suggest it and the story above is told to me...and another bar is chosen.

I completely understand their need to reign in parking but they need to be consistent with their message....and yes if you advertise 2 dollar parking with validation, that's what it should be...not some confusing timing issue that just pisses off customers.

I am totally down with them chargin overnight parkers as long as they are clearly informed of that when entering (i hear now if they take you money as you park, they tell you it's good till 6am).

make it EASY and SIMPLE for people to park and you'll go a long way to bringing in more customers for things like the clothing store and amc.
Why do neighboring DT office workers need to move their cars for HH?  Why not leave the car in your office lot and walk a few blocks?  Getting in your car to move from one garage where your parking is already paid for the month to move to another garage a couple blocks closer to destination #2 is right up there with driving from one end of the strip mall to the other. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

a) because this is kc and b) they see 2 dollar parking advertised so instead of walking the blocks back in the dark alone (many aren't comfortable doing this, especially the fairer sex) the drive there to be closer to their cars.

you totally get what you are saying but that's the reality of this city with many suburb office workers.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:a) because this is kc and b) they see 2 dollar parking advertised so instead of walking the blocks back in the dark alone (many aren't comfortable doing this, especially the fairer sex) the drive there to be closer to their cars.
Ohhh, right. So what you mean to say is that they're harboring ridiculously overblown perceptions of crime risk.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote: Ohhh, right. So what you mean to say is that they're harboring ridiculously overblown perceptions of crime risk.
Spoke with a 30 y.o. guy yesterday.  He has lived in the River Market and worked downtown for 3 years.  Told me he drives and never walks to and from the Quaff, Majestic, Peanut, Johns Deck, etc... as the blocks around the Valero station at 6th and Wyandotte are "pretty sketchy".

I can't see this at all.  Anyone else see what I don't?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Spoke with a 30 y.o. guy yesterday.  He has lived in the River Market and worked downtown for 3 years.  Told me he drives and never walks to and from the Quaff, Majestic, Peanut, Johns Deck, etc... as the blocks around the Valero station at 6th and Wyandotte are "pretty sketchy".

Did you tell him all that sitting in the car must be chaffing his twat. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean...pretty much but I don't usually think it's a good idea for young hotties to walk 5-10 blocks alone really anywhere...not just downtown.

I'm presenting the facts of the consumer base...thats the reality they need to deal with, not the judgment of how sane these customers are.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Did you tell him all that sitting in the car must be chaffing his twat. 
No, but I hereby resolve to work that sentence into my conversations several times each day.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: mean...pretty much but I don't usually think it's a good idea for young hotties to walk 5-10 blocks alone really anywhere...not just downtown.

I'm presenting the facts of the consumer base...thats the reality they need to deal with, not the judgment of how sane these customers are.
I have a hard time buying that the inner bowls of the PnL parking garages are really any safer for a young woman than the sidewalks in the heart of the CBD.  Both have all kinds of security and surveilance, but the parking garage probably has a lot fewer eyes and a lot more dark corners.  I guess the old struggle of reality v. perception. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

agreed...but really not my point.  If they didn't (falsely) advertise 2 dollar parking, this wouldn't really be an issue...they (cordish) just seem to make it unnecessarily confusing for customers....which in my experience is costing them customers for things like happy hour. 

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

loftguy wrote: Spoke with a 30 y.o. guy yesterday.  He has lived in the River Market and worked downtown for 3 years.  Told me he drives and never walks to and from the Quaff, Majestic, Peanut, Johns Deck, etc... as the blocks around the Valero station at 6th and Wyandotte are "pretty sketchy".

Never had a problem walking by there. It's not even open past 8ish (not sure of exact closing time but it's not late so I don't know why anyone would be hanging around there). I have way more problems around Grand Slam but that doesn't stop me.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: agreed...but really not my point.  If they didn't (falsely) advertise 2 dollar parking, this wouldn't really be an issue...they (cordish) just seem to make it unnecessarily confusing for customers....which in my experience is costing them customers for things like happy hour. 
It may not be the point you were aiming for, but I think it's worth talking about. Moving your car a few blocks from one garage, which you presumably have a pass for, to another garage which you're going to have to pay for because it is marginally closer to where you intend to drink (so that you can then drive home to the suburbs after having several drinks, but that's another point altogether) is beyond dumb. This may be difficult to believe, but trust me, "young hotties" walk several blocks at night in cities all the time, and I have to admit I'm kind of saddened by the fact that you don't think it's a good idea "anywhere". That seems awfully paranoid to me.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I definately would like the perception changed where first off they wouldn't even have cars down here in the first place...but that's the reality we are living in and Cordish is trying to make money in....as it is they are losing coin to other bars that people can drive to be marginally closer...I don't like it and I constantly say let's just walk down there....but I fully appreciate them wanting to be safe and not walking around alone....whether it be at 10th & Main or 95th & Quivera.