City Hall
City Hall

Domestic Auto Industry

Post by FangKC »

Buick, Lexus Top List in Vehicle Dependability
August 23, 2007
Business Fleet magazine

http://www.fleet-central.com/bf/t_insid ... ryID=30540

Buick ties with Lexus to rank highest among nameplates in vehicle dependability—marking the first time in 12 years that another brand has tied with Lexus for the highest-rank position, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS).

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of 3-year-old (2004 model year) vehicles, finds that Buick and Lexus tie for the top rank position with a score of 145 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100). Following in the top five rankings are Cadillac, Mercury and Honda, respectively.

Lexus garners five segment awards—the most of any nameplate in 2007—for the GS 300/GS430, GX 470, LS 430, LX 470 and SC 430. Toyota follows with four segment awards for the RAV 4, Sequoia, Tacoma and Tundra.

HUMMER is the most improved brand in the study, although it continues to rank below the industry average. HUMMER improves by 65 PP100 since 2006.

Fang: Disproves the myth that American cars are not as good as Asian-produced imports.

There is no fifth destination.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Domestic Auto Industry

Post by KCTigerFan »

FangKC wrote:
HUMMER is the most improved brand in the study, although it continues to rank below the industry average. HUMMER improves by 65 PP100 since 2006.
This was due mostly to the fact that Hummer made small penised men feel approx. 25% better about their size.  :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

call me when the resale value improves on an american car, then we'll talk. otherwise, i'd own a taurus.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Embattled Ford Tops Rankings in J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study
06-06-2007

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. — It was good news for the Ford Motor Company, mixed in with a bit of irony, as J.D. Power and Associates on Wednesday released its annual Initial Quality Study. The study is widely considered to be the industry gold standard in tracking the quality of automotive design and production.

Ford snagged five top model segment awards, more than any other automaker this year. It also earned a Platinum Plant Quality Award for producing vehicles with the fewest defects. That award went to Ford's Wixom, Michigan, assembly plant, which built the Lincoln Town Car and was closed on May 31.

For the second consecutive year, Porsche topped the overall nameplate rankings, followed by Lexus and Lincoln. Rounding out the bottom of the 2007 rankings were Hummer and Mazda, with Land Rover in last place. The Porsche Boxster earned kudos as the highest-ranked "compact premium sporty car," while the Ford Mustang was named highest-ranked "midsize sporty car."

Power noted that 14 Ford models placed in the top three of the respective segments. "An achievement unmatched by any other corporation this year — which is a testament to the improvement in quality for Ford Motor Company vehicle models and plants," the study noted.

Mercedes-Benz was cited for showing the most dramatic improvement, largely on the strength of the new S-Class. The S-Class tied with the Audi A8 for having the fewest quality problems in the industry. "Overall, Mercedes-Benz improves its nameplate rank by 20 positions, the greatest rank increase of any nameplate in the study," Power said. Among the non-premium brands, Kia posted the largest improvement in ranking, moving from 24th in 2006 to 12th in 2007. The Korean maker earned an award for the Kia Rio/Rio5 as the highest-ranked subcompact car.

Other winners include the 2007 Mercury Milan, which was the highest-ranked midsize car, and the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix, which was the highest-ranked large car. The highest-ranked premium sporty car was the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class, while the Honda Civic earned kudos as the highest-ranked compact car. The Toyota Tacoma took home honors as the highest-ranked midsize pickup, while the Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD was the highest-ranked large pickup. The Lincoln Mark LT was the highest-ranked "large premium MAV (multi-activity vehicle)," and the Lexus RX 350/RX 400h was picked as highest-ranked premium MAV. The Honda CR-V was named highest-ranked compact MAV.

The Initial Quality Study measures new-vehicle quality at 90 days of ownership. The 2007 study is based on responses from 97,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2007 cars and trucks.

What this means to you: Perhaps the most encouraging news in months that Ford may be on the mend at last.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne ... eId=121113
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In rankings on initial quality by JD Powers, the American brand Lincoln (overall ranking among all models) beat out Mercedes, Honda and Toyota.

Mercury, Ford, Chevrolet, and Buick all beat out foreign brands like Nissan, Acura, Subaru, BMW, and Volkswagen.

Toyota and Mercury almost tied.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: In rankings on initial quality by JD Powers, the American brand Lincoln (overall ranking among all models) beat out Mercedes, Honda and Toyota.

Mercury, Ford, Chevrolet, and Buick all beat out foreign brands like Nissan, Acura, Subaru, BMW, and Volkswagen.

Toyota and Mercury almost tied.
the first 90 days doesn't really mean much. i've never given this particular survey much credence. don't most people keep their cars more than 90 days?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: call me when the resale value improves on an american car, then we'll talk. otherwise, i'd own a taurus.
The 2008 Taurus was ranked the safest full-size car in America.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: the first 90 days doesn't really mean much. i've never given this particular survey much credence. don't most people keep their cars more than 90 days?
That particular study ranks the number of problems (malfunctions, failures), by model, owners had with their new cars in the first 90 days of ownership.

If you want a longer-term study, refer to the first post on this thread -- the three-year report.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

By the time you can get any sort of meaningful long term data a car is already well into its life cycle and on the way to being replaced.  Thus these reviewers usually extrapolate future reliabilty based upon past performance of the maker. 
Rusty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty »

I'm more concerned with reliability after 100,000 miles.

I'm not going to buy a car with fewer for quite a while.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The data is especially useful for people who are buying used cars.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Dave, you might need to rethink you attitude.

According to Edmunds.com, the Ford Mustang ranked higher than the Honda Civic in holding its' value after three years.  :P  It was also the highest ranked 2007 mid-size car based on initial quality and lack of defects.

According the JD  Power, the 2007 Mercury Milan beats the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry for initial quality.  The Pontiac Grand Prix beats the Toyota Avalon and Nissan Maxima in the large car segment. The Ford 500 ties with the Avalon.  The Ford Mustang beat the Toyota Solara and Mitsubishi Eclipse in the sport midsize segment.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:Dave, you might need to rethink you attitude.
truth be told, i have considered fords recently and even convinced a friend to buy a brand new focus based on my experience with my b/f's '03 ZX3 (and the phenomenal warranty). since then, however, ford has botched the focus makeover and eliminated all utility (hatches, wagons) from the line-up.

why anyone would pay a premium for the mercury milan is anybody's guess since it is EXACTLY the same as a ford fusion, which in turn is nearly identical to the mazda6 (i think sales figures proves this out). while ford is doing way better with vehicle dynamics (thanks mostly to mazda and ford europe engineering prowess), GM is catching up quickly after despite having released many laughable vehicles in the last decade (aztek, lacrosse, equinox, G6, ION). basically, taking their european models and rebadging them as american is the smartest thing GM has EVER done. unfortunately, they chose to make their base saturn aura with a limp V6 (why bother? slower and worse mileage?) and was unable to offer a hybrid option upon launch. regardless, i still remain excited at the potential for the astra... but i'm quite convinced the top brass in the US will fuck up the product mix, fit/finish, fuel economy, pricing, or all of the above.

since i'm strictly a small-to-midsize shopper, i could care less about the grand prix, ford 500, mustang, etc.

i can make similarly disparaging remarks about the german brands, who have continued to focus on technology and high margins at the expense of reliability and fuel efficiency (even VW, who does offer the wonderful TDI option but continues to make the HEAVIEST vehicles on the planet).

my money is on the koreans and the chinese. no one's growing faster than hyundai/kia and their ability to catch up in reliability and build quality (quickly surpassing GM/ford/chrysler in less than a decade) continues to amaze. the chinese will likely beat that improvement record and become a serious player the US market very soon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fleet Vehicle Lifecycle Appraisal: Just the numbers

Figures DO NOT account for total fuel costs for 60,000 miles of driving

Aquisition cost: COMPACT:

Chevrolet Cobalt: $12,315
Ford Focus:         $12,372
Toyota Corolla:    $14,260
Honda Civic DX:   $14,791

Annual maintenance:

Chevrolet Cobalt: $1,313
Toyota Corolla:    $1,553
Honda Civic DX:   $1,588
Ford Focus:        $1,853

Total Depreciation at 60,000 miles:
*This is loss of value in dollars, not resale price

Ford Focus:         $6,662
Chevrolet Cobalt:  $7,015
Toyota Corolla:     $7,760
Honda Civic DX:    $7,891

Cost per mile to operate:

Ford Focus:         0.2426 per mile
Toyota Corolla:     0.2431 per mile
Chevrolet Cobalt   0.2486 per mile
Honda Civic DX:    0.2520 per mile

Total cost to buy and drive car for 60,000 miles:

(assumes owner sells at 60,000 miles for purchase price minus depreciation)

Chevrolet Cobalt: $8,328 * (sales tax $582.96 @.07%)
Ford Focus:         $8,475
Toyota Corolla:    $9,313
Honda Civic DX:   $9,479  (sales tax $662.53)

* Best value

The Cobalt costs around $1,151 less than the Civic to buy, maintain, and sell at 60,000 miles.

Assuming you buy three Cobalts instead of three Civics over a 12 year period, not accounting for inflation, and buying at the same prices, one would save $4,604 owning a Cobalt instead of a Civic.  One would save $322.28 in sales taxes over 4 car purchases for a total of $4926.28.  That's $410.52 in savings per year.  That would  pay my gas bill each month.

If one were 20 years old, by the time one was 32, one would have almost enough to put 8 percent ($5,040) down on a $63,000 starter house (just a $114 shortfall) just based on the savings of car choice.

Source of Statistics: BusinessFleet.com

INTERMEDIATE-SIZE SEDAN

Aquisition cost:

Ford Fusion:        $16,016
Pontiac G6           $16,916
Chevrolet Malibu: $16,918
Honda Accord:     $17,381
Toyota Camry:     $18,252

Annual maintenance:

Honda Accord:     $1,588
Pontiac G6           $1,789
Toyota Camry:     $1,959
Chevrolet Malibu:  $2,357
Ford Fusion:        $2,433

Ford Fusion:        $ 9,066
Pontiac G6           $9,516
Toyota Camry:     $10,052
Honda Accord:     $11,031
Chevrolet Malibu:  $11,418

Pontiac G6:         0.3067 per mile
Ford Fusion:        0.3114 per mile
Toyota Camry:     0.3128 per mile
Honda Accord:     0.3174 per mile
Chevrolet Malibu   0.3422 per mile

Pontiac G6:         $11,305 * (sales tax $791.35 @ .07%)
Ford Fusion:        $11,499   (sales tax $804.93 @ .07%)
Toyota Corolla:    $12,011
Honda Civic:        $12,619  (sales tax $883.33)
Chevrolet Malibu: $13,775 

* Best value

The Ford Fusion costs $1,314 less to operate for 60,000 miles than the Civic.   That is a $5,256 savings over 12 years and 4 car purchases, and $367.92 savings in sales taxes over 4 car purchases.  A total savings of $5623.92.  About $469 a year in savings.  Over a 12 year period, one would save enough to put down almost 9 percent on a $63,000 starter house.

[bLARGE SEDAN[/b]

Aquisition cost:

Chevrolet Impala:   $18,944
Buick LaCrosse:      $19,867
Ford Five-Hundred: $21,031
Chrysler 300:         $22,403
Toyota Avalon:      $24,431
Nissan Maxima:      $25,288

Annual maintenance:

Chevrolet Impala:    $1,712
Buick LaCrosse:       $1,837
Toyota Avalon:       $2,067
Chrysler 300:          $2,255
Ford Five-Hundred:  $2,394
Nissan Maxima:       $2,977

Toyota Avalon:      $11,431
Chrysler 300:         $12,303
Nissan Maxima:      $12,413
Ford Five-Hundred: $12,431
Buick LaCrosse:      $12,717
Chevrolet Impala:   $12,994

Toyota Avalon:       0.3481
Chevrolet Impala:     0.3719
Chrysler 300:          0.3743
Buick LaCrosse:       0.3750
Ford Five-Hundred:  0.3770
Nissan Maxima:        0.3881

Toyota Avalon:      $13,498*
Buick LaCrosse:      $14,554
Chrysler 300:         $14,558
Chevrolet Impala:   $14,706
Ford Five-Hundred: $14,825
Nissan Maxima:      $15,390

* Best value

There is an $836 savings in the purchase and maintenance costs of a Buick LaCrosse over a Nissan Maxima, and an $1,892 savings of a Toyota Avalon over a Nissan Maxima.  One would save $3,344 purchasing four Buick LaCrosses over four Nissan Maximas; and $7,568 purchasing four Toyota Avalons over 12 years instead of four Nissan Maximas.   With those savings, one could put down a 12% down payment on a $63,000 starter house.

However, if one is going to keep the car well past 60,000 miles, or until it breaks down and becomes zero value, and one doesn't care about depreciation or resale value, the Chevrolet Impala and Buick LaCrosse are better values because they have the lowest maintenance costs per vehicle of the one's listed.  The LaCrosse also has a higher satisfaction rating and a lower problem rate after three years than the Toyota Avalon.

Last edited by FangKC on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was driving north of Broadway yesterday following a new Saturn Sky convertible. It was black and looked from the back like something Batman would drive.

I have decided that the Saturn Sky is much cooler than a Corvette. In fact, it is the new Corvette.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/sky/overview.jsp

Last edited by FangKC on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

:shock:    =P~
KC is the way to be!
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

How about the new Mazda Miata? I won't even go into the stereotypes and profiles of a Miata driver.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I have ridden in a Sky and if you are looking for get up and go or horsepower stop looking at it. It's a 4 cylinder so it will get good milage but it really is just competition to the Miata.
frankthetank
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by frankthetank »

FangKC wrote:
I have decided that the Saturn Sky is much cooler than a Corvette. In fact, it is the new Corvette.
Please put down the crack pipe and step away from it!!!  :shock:
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Cool car. Do they sell it in a hardtop?
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.