Domestic Auto Industry

Transportation topics in KC
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Domestic Auto Industry

Post by rxlexi »

Just FYI for those interested in my Jeep rants - Jeep is bringing back the Grand Wagoneer for 2013 (full-size, 7 passenger) and I've even heard rumors of a wood-grain option returning.  Hooray for the return of the original luxe-SUV, built from 1965 to 1991 with essentially the same body and chassis.  I think it will be built on a stretched version of the new Grand Cherokee platform, which has been selling really well and receiving rave reviews.  I assume it will likely be built in Detroit city (yes!) alongside the GC...but don't know for sure.

Also, I was impressed to see the 2011 V6 Mustang turn the fastest lap time in its class in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap this year, with great reviews from everyone.  With the optional performance package, Ford has really turned the Mustang (even the formerly awful v6) into a pseudo sports car at a reasonable price, and it (the '11 v6) is the first car to produce 300+ hp and get 30+ mpg.  Awesome.

That said, at it's $25k price point, a VW GTI is slower, but still quick and just as efficient, with a nicer interior and more space.  Nonetheless, I would never have thought that a v6 Mustang would have me interested at all, let alone comparing to class-leading vehicles.  American companies are really, finally, starting to build some desirable stuff...
are we spinning free?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Wow, that is hilarious.  I missed those rants last fall.  We had child #4, finally purhcased a mini-van in Oct after holding out for so many years.  We spent a solid evening researching the possibility of an old wood panel Wagoneer and lamenting the fact that they don't make anything like it anymore.  Personal style is truly never your own.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

warwickland wrote: Image
Great wallpaper for widescreen monitors.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

rxlexi wrote:   Just FYI for those interested in my Jeep rants - Jeep is bringing back the Grand Wagoneer for 2013 (full-size, 7 passenger) and I've even heard rumors of a wood-grain option returning.  Hooray for the return of the original luxe-SUV, built from 1965 to 1991 with essentially the same body and chassis.  I think it will be built on a stretched version of the new Grand Cherokee platform, which has been selling really well and receiving rave reviews.  I assume it will likely be built in Detroit city (yes!) alongside the GC...but don't know for sure.
http://wot.motortrend.com/jeep-resurrec ... 22927.html

could be good news, indeed.  i hope the styling is restrained and classic.  if the relatively boxy, simple angles of the grand cherokee are any indication, the wagoneer could be pretty attractive - i can almost picture an update on a mid-90s range rover country.  of course, it will probably get 8 mpg and cost $62,000...any hope for a hybrid or flexfuel version?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

good point Chrizow, I wonder what the powertrain will look like.  I would think it will feature the new 8 speed auto coming soon to the Grand Cherokee, which should help fuel economy numbers, and maybe a direct injected version of the new corporate V6 will be available (increased power/fuel economy from the current 290hp 16city 22hwy mpg).  It would be cool to see a turbo'd version of this engine, a la Ford's EcoBoost v6 now in the F150.

But this being the Wagoneer, I would expect a larger engine (in addition to the v6, or maybe standard?), either the current Hemi V8 or something that hasn't been announced.  I would LOVE to see a monster diesel in there (like VWs European v8/v10 Toureg diesels), or even the option for a v8 hybrid system.  We shall see.  Just give me woodgrain and make it off-road capable.  And then mulitple years later when I can afford it (but likely not the gas), make mine dark blue :).
are we spinning free?
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

I have been a Honda guys for decades.  My folks converted to Honda (from Pontiac) in the early '80s and they haved stayed loyal.  I have also preferred Hondas over the years (with Toyota a close second).  Both have been somewhat sophisticated (for an economy brand) and easy to maintain (good quality).  They also had a few fun models (CRX, Prelude, S2000, MR2, Supra, Celica).  
But Honda and Toyota have slowly lost their mojo over the last decade.  Styling is boring and their street cred has vanished.  They seem to be the car of choice for the car-numb and the elderly.
To look at a new Ford Focus or Hyundai is to see a company with a strong future.  These cars are something fun and affordable with some style.  Ford, GM and Hyundai are brands I would have never considered 5 or 10 years ago, but they seem to have gotten thier act together.  I hope to be able to add Chrysler to that list very soon.  They too have made great improvements for 2011.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

slimwhitman wrote: I have been a Honda guys for decades.  My folks converted to Honda (from Pontiac) in the early '80s and they haved stayed loyal.  I have also preferred Hondas over the years (with Toyota a close second).  Both have been somewhat sophisticated (for an economy brand) and easy to maintain (good quality).  They also had a few fun models (CRX, Prelude, S2000, MR2, Supra, Celica).  
But Honda and Toyota have slowly lost their mojo over the last decade.  Styling is boring and their street cred has vanished.  They seem to be the car of choice for the car-numb and the elderly.
To look at a new Ford Focus or Hyundai is to see a company with a strong future.  These cars are something fun and affordable with some style.  Ford, GM and Hyundai are brands I would have never considered 5 or 10 years ago, but they seem to have gotten thier act together.  I hope to be able to add Chrysler to that list very soon.  They too have made great improvements for 2011.
I can totally related to this sentiment.  On top of that, Kia (Hyundai is parent), is even threatening to be a leader in style and value.  I have a Kia Forte and love it.  For the money, I gat sporty style, lots of features and an overall good car.  Their warranty is also tops but I hope that the quality is built into these new vehicles that I don't have to utilize the warranty that much.  I definitely would never have thought about buying Hyundai and Kia just a couple years ago, but now look at them.  It's like Hyundai is styling towards Mercedes like (curvy) cars and Kia is more lines and angles like Acura/Lexus.  The newest Sonata(H) and Optima(K) are gorgeous and offer tons of features for the money.

I will say that Ford has also ratched up their competitiveness and I'd look at them for future car purchases as well.  I'm excited to see how the Chevy Volt is percieved and if they can bring the costs down.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I fully agree with your sentiment, slimwhitman.  I used to be a HUGE fan of Japanese cars, particularly sports cars and some of the early luxury stuff - Supra, RX7, Z, S2000, early Q45 etc.  I have owned most of these.

However, I have become highly disenfranchised with major Japanese car companies, especially Honda and Toyota.  WIth precious few exceptions they make (IMO) boring, poorly styled cars.  Obviously their quality remains high, but I feel they have lost the massive quality control edge they used to enjoy. 

Mainly, they killed off just about every trace of the "cool", light, fast, efficient and elegant vehicles that used to define them.  I am STILL waiting for a new RX7, 13 years after its US sales ended.  I am really saddened by Honda's attempt at a "sporty-hybrid" CR-Z that is neither sporty (fast, fun, sexy) nor particularly economical (could easily match it's mpg with a small gas sedan).  A GREAT idea poorly executed.

Yes, there are exceptions and new Japanese cars I would still love to own - Fit, Miata, Xterra, 370z come to mind.  But for the most part, I am far more interested in the recent US, European and slowly, even Korean offerings.  To say that I am surprised to be so excited about US cars is a massive understatement...good for them.
are we spinning free?
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

rxlexi wrote: To say that I am surprised to be so excited about US cars is a massive understatement...good for them.
Ditto!
Last edited by slimwhitman on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have Toyota Corolla, but if I were buying a new car now, I think I'd be looking at a Ford Fusion, Buick Regal, Chevy Cruze, or Subaru Outback.
There is no fifth destination.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The quality disparity has been largely misrepresented by creative reporting on the part of the Japanese auto industry for decades.

Full disclosure: I'd walk to Topeka once a week before I'd buy a non-UAW car: I'm a liberal, and that means something when I spend 20K.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I LOVED the epic Chrysler 200 Super Bowl ad prominently featuring Detriot.  "This is the Motor City.  This is what we DO. - Imported from Detroit". 

So badass; I was practically in tears with the awesomeness of the idea of trying to sell Detroit city along with your cars, complete with images of "The Fist", downtown, burned out factories, etc. 
are we spinning free?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The Glee "See the USA in a Chevrolet" commercial was pretty inspiring too. 
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Loved everything in the commercial except Eminem. Voice overs of non-celeb Detroiters alternating sentences would have been a more powerful "statement", if such a thing exists in TV commercials.

Also, that car is lovely. I really miss driving a sedan.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

shinatoo wrote: The Glee "See the USA in a Chevrolet" commercial was pretty inspiring too. 
That brought back memories of seeing Dinah Shore singing that on her TV show.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

When I did the 'cash for clunkers' deal, the only US car I could find in my price range that was recommended by Consumer Reports was a Pontiac Vibe (built by Toyota), but none were available since it had been discontinued.

So, I traded for a Nissan Versa.  I really like it.  It's higher off the ground than the old Acura Legend I had (good for my poor knees) and has great leg room.  My daughter's 6'5" boyfriend had no problem sitting in the back seat.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ford reports biggest profit since 1998.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ford Escape hot seller in August

Ford Escape sales up 39 percent in August. Ford overall sales up 11.2 percent in August compared to August 2010.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... article_du
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GM sales up in seven of last eight months. Total sales up 18 percent in August.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... article_du
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Big 3 Automakers all saw a big rise in US auto sales. Chrysler had the best August sales in four years.

Chrysler sales were up 31 percent in August, and up 42 percent over last year. Chrysler has seen sales gains in each of the last 17 months.

Both Toyota and Honda both saw sales declines.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s overall sales declined 12.7 percent in August. U.S. sales for the Toyota brand fell 13.6 percent; and Lexus sales were down 7 percent last month. Honda's sales were down 24.3 percent in August compared to a year ago.

http://detnews.com/article/20110901/AUT ... Nissan-19-