Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by dukuboy1 »

good discussion for sure on re-imagining the East Loop, And I would agree there seems to be a lot of room where we have grassy areas and options to remove on ramps that could help improve the entire traffic flow
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

East loop needs to be widened and rebuilt regardless. It should have been done when they built the new MO river bridge, but maybe it's a good thing they didn't so the redesign can be more of an urban design.

The right of way of the east loop is massive and now you have an opportunity to not only improve and widen the east loop, but also make it more walkable by doing so. Maybe even by decking part of it etc.

Doing the east loop correctly will cost a lot, probably between 200-500 million in today's dollars because it will effect the north and south loops too. And the process to get it studied, designed, funded, approved by the feds and built will take at least ten years. I really hope they have a plan to expedite it.

My guess is since they will need to consolidate and build new access ramps with long queuing etc for the stadium at the very least that's they will do and just take out the existing ramps and squeeze in a new ramp system and not rebuild it all. I don't see the city and modot properly rebuilding the east loop. Not after seeing what's happening with the Broadway Bridge and the lack of action with the north loop.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:54 pm East loop needs to be widened and rebuilt regardless. It should have been done when they built the new MO river bridge, but maybe it's a good thing they didn't so the redesign can be more of an urban design.

The right of way of the east loop is massive and now you have an opportunity to not only improve and widen the east loop, but also make area more walkable by doing so. Maybe even by decking part of it etc.

Doing the east loop correctly will cost a lot, probably between 200-500 million in today's dollars. And the process to get it studied, designed, funded, approved by the feds and built will take at least ten years. I really hope they have a plan to expedite it.
While we are at it, move it all further east. Have I70 start to deviate north at Paseo so it's a straight shot to the Paseo Bridge. If the North Loop is going to go away eventually, there's no need to reconnect to it. There's only low density land use in that area directly east of DT anyway. It would provide the East Village part of downtown some room to grow and provide for better on/off ramp access into East Village. It would be a start.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:11 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:54 pm East loop needs to be widened and rebuilt regardless. It should have been done when they built the new MO river bridge, but maybe it's a good thing they didn't so the redesign can be more of an urban design.

The right of way of the east loop is massive and now you have an opportunity to not only improve and widen the east loop, but also make area more walkable by doing so. Maybe even by decking part of it etc.

Doing the east loop correctly will cost a lot, probably between 200-500 million in today's dollars. And the process to get it studied, designed, funded, approved by the feds and built will take at least ten years. I really hope they have a plan to expedite it.
While we are at it, move it all further east. Have I70 start to deviate north at Paseo so it's a straight shot to the Paseo Bridge. If the North Loop is going to go away eventually, there's no need to reconnect to it. There's only low density land use in that area directly east of DT anyway. It would provide the East Village part of downtown some room to grow and provide for better on/off ramp access into East Village. It would be a start.
Absolutely what "should" happen. That would actually benefit both Downtown and West Paseo. Especially if the new highway were designed in a more urban way. But now you looking at 15-20 years out minimum before something like that opens. Especially with Modot and KCMO trying to do it. Studies, land acquisition and lawsuits alone would take 10-15 years.

I think they will just take out the existing short ramps and add new ones. The budget and fastest way of doing something short term would be to close the existing ramps and widen the east loop by one lane. I really don't think you need ramps on the east loop at all. Force everybody to use all the other options to get to and from the freeway system. (truman, paseo, Broadway etc). There are plenty. That would even solve the NB and SB 71/29 bottlenecks by not having direct access to the east loop. That would open more through lanes. You could potentially build a new flyover ramp from NB 71 stating south of Truman into the heart of downtown bypassing the east loop.

The ramps (even new ones) would be too short and would be too close to the stadium on the east loop. That way the long term solution to relocate or burry/deck the east loop can move forward.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Eric Bunch says the same thing we’re saying about the north loop here in this context. That gives me hope.

https://twitter.com/ericwbunch/status/1 ... JNRAH-3m8g
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If they ever do remove the north loop, they can just keep the very east end of the loop in place and make that the primary access point to the loop freeway system from that side of Downtown. Remove all the existing ramps on the east loop and widen/improve it and that's really all you have to do for the new stadium.

I don't think relocation of the east loop is an option. Not for a very long time anyway and you want to move on and get development going in that area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:15 pm ...
The ramps (even new ones) would be too short and would be too close to the stadium on the east loop. That way the long term solution to relocate or burry/deck the east loop can move forward.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpDF7Z0LBAr ... _copy_link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Houst ... 20vMDNsMm4
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I’m SHOCKED this is in Houston
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:19 am
GRID wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:15 pm ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpDF7Z0LBAr ... _copy_link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Houst ... 20vMDNsMm4
It's not what you intended but that's a good model for Broadway through Penn Valley Park. Memorial Park is in a very affluent part of Houston and it is heavily used. In both the case of Memorial Park and PVP, the road was built through the park from its inception. It's a great way to connect the two halves of the park. But in the case of Memorial Park, the heavy usage of the park more than justifies the expense. It would be a tougher sell for KC in terms of need because PVP is not heavily used outside of the Liberty Memorial Mall area and also because of the steep topography.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There starting to plan for a lot of these in rural areas for wildlife corridors. Never seen one like this in an urban area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:14 pm Eric Bunch says the same thing we’re saying about the north loop here in this context. That gives me hope.

https://twitter.com/ericwbunch/status/1 ... JNRAH-3m8g
One additional thing I'd like to see is the approach to Heart of America Bridge brought down to grade level with more traditional on and off ramps coming from the north loop. The approach as is effectively cuts off Columbus Park from the River Market area and it really doesn't have to be that way. Just bring it down to grade through the river market and let the approach to the bridge begin past the railroad tracks. Just another example of how planners for KC screwed the urban environment over in attempt to facilitate traffic. And it's not even that great of a volume of traffic. Having that easy connectivity between downtown and surrounding neighborhoods would further enhance having a DT ballpark.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The impending bankruptcy of Sinclair’s Diamond Sports Group is going to have some interesting impacts on the payrolls of teams - including the Royals. Their current deal pays out between $48 million and $52 million a year. MLB is likely to take the rights in house, which will be great for blackouts. But they aren't going to pay more than current market value. Which is likely going to be significantly lower than the current budgeted amount.

In the grand scheme of things, likely won't mean a ton for this project. And long term this is probably a good thing for the league. But the team is bracing for lower budgets and potential cash infusions in the short term.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jabariyoun ... 425a0fb3cf
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Did this property survive the recent EV demolition derby?

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

For now. Van Trust still hasn't taken possession of that parcel and several parking lots which all share the same ownership.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So is this site south of the PAC a realistic option?

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

7th/Wyandotte is a site that I haven't heard mentioned recently, despite it being an idea long ago. I still think East Village is the spot and everything else is a distraction from the obvious.

Also GRID, where did graphic come from?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

7th and Wyandotte would require demolishing the glass cube building which was recently renovated into apartments.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:31 pm 7th and Wyandotte would require demolishing the glass cube building which was recently renovated into apartments.
Adios!