Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by kcjak »

I have to wonder about the funding mechanism if built in NKC. Does that mean JaxCo (pop. 700,000+) residents are off the hook, but Clay County (pop. 250,000+) would foot part of the bill? I'd hate to see downtown KC miss out on any real synergy for existing businesses and future neighborhood investment/revitalization.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Horrible idea. How about the front lawn of the LM or Nelson Atkins?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

NKC, bad idea, they might as well stay where they are. Furthermore, if Jackson County makes any reasonable offer and either team moves out of Jackson County or Kansas City proper, I for one am done with them. 50+ years of investing in these teams should count for something.

I like the PAC site but would hope they would look at a rolling roof to tie into potential convention center uses.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Do those of you advocating for the site south of PAC realize it would require the demolition of Film Row? This area has traditionally been the epicenter of the West Crossroads arts district.

https://www.visitkc.com/filmtourism/sel ... crossroads

https://flatlandkc.org/curiouskc/kansas ... hollywood/

Another example of people being very willing to wipe out an actual authentic part of Kansas City. What happens if they build the baseball stadium there, and in 25 years, the team is sold and moves. Without a team, the stadium would be demolished and a historic neighborhood of KC was lost for a short-term gain.

I will never understand those of you who have such a boner for a background view from the stadium. The East Village site can provide a background view that can be built around it.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:53 pm For now. Van Trust still hasn't taken possession of that parcel and several parking lots, which all share the same ownership.
The building to the west of this one now has fencing around It. I saw it this past Sunday, but it wasn't there a few weeks ago. I noticed "caution tape" around it several weeks back, but that didn't last. I am unsure if the fencing means it will be demolished, but it will not keep anyone from scaling it and entering the building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:36 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:56 pm Do those of you advocating for the site south of PAC realize it would require the demolition of Film Row? This area has traditionally been the epicenter of the West Crossroads arts district.

https://www.visitkc.com/filmtourism/sel ... crossroads

https://flatlandkc.org/curiouskc/kansas ... hollywood/

Another example of people being very willing to wipe out an actual authentic part of Kansas City. What happens if they build the baseball stadium there, and in 25 years, the team is sold and moves. Without a team, the stadium would be demolished and a historic neighborhood of KC was lost for a short-term gain.

I will never understand those of you who have such a boner for a background view from the stadium. The East Village site can provide a background view that can be built around it.
I would take the redevelopment of this area with a 50-year stadium and a 100-year mixed-use district over a few blocks of sleepy 1-2 floor buildings.

if cordish wanted to put 5 light on film row today I would not oppose it
It's funny because so many have said that before, demolished buildings, and then nothing ended up being built at all. The entire North Loop surface parking gulag was the same idea put forth by the Kemper banking family.

It's always odd to me people proposing such things when there are so many already-cleared parking lots in downtown KC.

The East Village is already cleared. Stupid idea to clear another neighborhood at this point.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Pork Chop wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:39 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:53 pm For now. Van Trust still hasn't taken possession of that parcel and several parking lots, which all share the same ownership.
The building to the west of this one now has fencing around It. I saw it this past Sunday, but it wasn't there a few weeks ago. I noticed "caution tape" around it several weeks back, but that didn't last. I am unsure if the fencing means it will be demolished, but it will not keep anyone from scaling it and entering the building.
That is the former Blackstone Hotel. Van Trust has purchased the building already, and it appears it is coming down and not being renovated.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:36 pmI would take the redevelopment of this area with a 50-year stadium and a 100-year mixed-use district over a few blocks of sleepy 1-2 floor buildings.

if cordish wanted to put 5 light on film row today I would not oppose it
This is blatantly anti-urban
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

East Village is cleared and ready to go. If KC blows this opportunity to rebuild the eastern side of downtown, nothing will ever happen there. You can't ask for a better situation.

Will the bumbling-bumpkins running Kansity blow it? All that cleared land and cement would make an incredible homeless camp to sabotage what little synergy we have now. Set up 200 port-a-pottys and we could immediately add a few thousand new residents overnight.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Let the homeless start camping on East Village parcels and that stadium location will get approved and funded.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:02 pm
kcjak wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:00 pm I have to wonder about the funding mechanism if built in NKC. Does that mean JaxCo (pop. 700,000+) residents are off the hook, but Clay County (pop. 250,000+) would foot part of the bill? I'd hate to see downtown KC miss out on any real synergy for existing businesses and future neighborhood investment/revitalization.
News said a 1/2 cent Clay tax is close to 50% of a 3/8ths Jackson Tax.
When were were analyzing a regional sales tax for transit in 2021, 1% got you...

$121,190,903 in Jackson County
$43,608,890 in Clay County
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What many are failing to take into account is the Royals are depending on a continuation of the Jackson County sales tax to help fund the new stadium. Personally I don't see Jackson County voters approving it for a downtown stadium. I think the Chiefs would be wise to separate themselves from the Royals in a Jackson County sales tax vote.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Love how little respect people here can show to other human beings, the unhoused are not a political cudgel for this.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I just don’t understand why the Royals aren’t campaigning and trying to sell this.

Run ad’s with Mahomes & Paul Rudd. Pick the location & show real beautiful renderings. Have Clark Hunt give a statement. Explain more that this doesn’t raise taxes. Explain that this will make the team better by raising revenues. Etc etc.

Like it’s not hard. They’re not even trying. They have to start selling this. Idk what their strategy even is right now.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:47 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:24 am
langosta wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:02 pm

News said a 1/2 cent Clay tax is close to 50% of a 3/8ths Jackson Tax.
When were were analyzing a regional sales tax for transit in 2021, 1% got you...

$121,190,903 in Jackson County
$43,608,890 in Clay County
The news was fake ig
News seems right. Dave gave 1% numbers. I’m going to channel my inner flyingember…

Jackson county at 3/8% would be $45,446,588, so half of that would be $22,723,294

Clay county would be $21,804,445 halving Dave’s number.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:16 pm I just don’t understand why the Royals aren’t campaigning and trying to sell this.

Run ad’s with Mahomes & Paul Rudd. Pick the location & show real beautiful renderings. Have Clark Hunt give a statement. Explain more that this doesn’t raise taxes. Explain that this will make the team better by raising revenues. Etc etc.

Like it’s not hard. They’re not even trying. They have to start selling this. Idk what their strategy even is right now.
All in due time. They are making the community feel involved as they "pick a site". This gives everyone time to start getting used to the idea of a move. Then they will start selling it hard.

The people's first reaction is the hardest to overcome and will grow more entrenched the harder you push early on. You have to let them soften up and then start trying to change their minds.

That's why I said two years ago that this won't open until 2031.