Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 pm
im2kull wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:33 pm If the Royals were smart they would de-couple the K from their ask for a tax to support a downtown stadium plan. The "Save the K" crowd would instantly be mooted if there was no indication that the K was "Going away". The county preparing a demo RFP and the Royals indicating that the K will face demolition regardless of the vote were idiotic moves to win a vote.
Why would we keep the K if we have a downtown ballpark?
The impression I get from Kull's post is that if they had to do this again, squash any indication that a demise is imminent for the K. Make the sales pitch solely for a new stadium and leave the discussion for what happens to K for a later time.
Doesn't the Chiefs plan call for the demolishing of the K?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:47 pm

I'm actually liking the fact they'll build less but I'm also wondering how they'll generate additional revenue.
Higher attendance and year-round rent paying tenants in their commercial spaces are more than they have now.
The higher attendance bump from a new stadium wears off after 4 to 5 years and proceeds to drop down to a level of attendance of before.
The attendance average for comparable metros with less than stellar teams (Cincy, Cle, Pit, Mke) is around 5,000 higher. You’re walkable to hotel rooms and residents whereas you have none of that at the K. Downtown provides a permanently higher attendance floor.
And any rental income from surrounding area may not be as higher as the parking revenues the team will be giving up. A parking garage controlled by the team will likely be requested before much of the surrounding area is developed.
Offsetting income from 81 days with income 365 days* will still likely yield a net positive return comparatively.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:08 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 pm
Why would we keep the K if we have a downtown ballpark?
The impression I get from Kull's post is that if they had to do this again, squash any indication that a demise is imminent for the K. Make the sales pitch solely for a new stadium and leave the discussion for what happens to K for a later time.
Doesn't the Chiefs plan call for the demolishing of the K?
It does, but I think the conversation is around decoupling the two.

I've seen quite a few people saying they'd vote yes on a Downtown Royals Stadium but no to the Chiefs plans if given the opportunity. Reasons given by the posts I've seen: the Chiefs plans don't go far enough, the Hunts are dropping less of their own money than the Shermans on their respective plans, most of the enhancements to Arrowhead will only be seen by the wealthier fans who can afford the more luxurious amenities and the rest of the public will be left with minimal enhancements, no restaurants/bars added to the stadium area, no apparent enhancements to traffic flow, and the general cheapness of the team ownership for not having a basic amenity (like air conditioning) in a training room up until recently.

For all the things the Royals have done oddly in this whole process, people are overlooking the fact that it's the Chiefs who dropped the ball on this one pretty badly.

The apparent last minute changes to the Royals vision for the Crossroads and putting out their hopeful (not yet signed) CBAs and neighborhood agreements are good steps in the right direction. It's already too late to change the minds of voters. This would've been much more helpful a month ago to halt opposition momentum, but here we are.

This is all leading up to a new election, if next week fails, in the fall based on the changes the Royals have been working towards. If what we've heard is true, and they hold on to their neighborhood and CBA stuff, they have the upper-hand in a new vote. And, between now and then, they could enhance plans more. But for now, I'm interested to see their revisions and how the vote goes Tuesday.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Reposting this before and after image of San Diego. Not saying the same thing will happen in the Crossroads, but Petco Park certainly helped the neighborhood develop.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

People living at the Sulgrave on the Plaza moan about the glare of the lights on the Plaza Tennis center. How would the ballpark affect the residents of 2 Light?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dnweava wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Saving a couple buildings east of Oak doesn't prevent the Royals from building Hotels and Apartment buildings over there, I don't see what the big deal is. You could save half the buildings on Oak, save the fire station, and still fit 10+ one light size buildings between Oak/Cherry/Truman/17th
I'm actually liking the fact they'll build less but I'm also wondering how they'll generate additional revenue.
I mean the building doesn't have to be new to generate revenue???
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 am People living at the Sulgrave on the Plaza moan about the glare of the lights on the Plaza Tennis center. How would the ballpark affect the residents of 2 Light?
Would be wise for someone to ask folks who live at One Cardinal Way. I imagine it’s something you get used to over time and when choosing to live next to a stadium, it’s something you have to consider.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

With LED lights now I'd think the unintentional light pollution is much lower and that beam could be directed only where it needs to go. You'd still see a glow of course but that's not much different than city light.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Jill and Green Dirt Farms on Kraske today.

Also Rural Grit.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

dnweava wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm Saving a couple buildings east of Oak doesn't prevent the Royals from building Hotels and Apartment buildings over there, I don't see what the big deal is. You could save half the buildings on Oak, save the fire station, and still fit 10+ one light size buildings between Oak/Cherry/Truman/17th
I personally would like that the Stadium and such would only extend to Oak, leaving the businesses and such on the East side of Oak to remain and prosper, along with a nice open street. I also think there is nothing wrong for the Royals to be 1 of many developers who are looking to invest in the Crossroads and take advantage of a major anchor in terms of bringing people to the area. I think it is smart to continue to allow the Crossroads to have that "neighborhood vibe" where small business can bring in new businesses/entertainment/retail. Plus the Royals can still generate revenue by looking at other areas in and around their stadium to build development. For example there are many prime pieces of land just to the South on Grand. The old Bob Jones shoes building and the giant parking lot across the street to the East. Plus numerous opportunities as you go East/ West from the immediate area that will now be much more attractive with the stadium as an anchor in the middle.

Perhaps the Royals can get a sweetheart deal to build residential & offices towers in the area where the Jackson County Jail is now, since they are building a new jail East of downtown. Plus they could invest in & around 18th and Vine. Just a host of opportunities, maybe not all right across the street from the stadium, but a lot could be done that would generate revenue. (plus they impact less established businesses, less money to buy them out, relocate, etc. Also much better PR)

Finally, how about the Royals becoming more involved with P&L and what is already there. Sporting has No Other Pub. Why couldn't the Royals have something similarly branded in the vacant spaces in P&L. I Mean you Have the old Flying Saucer spot and or some other retail that has sat vacant for a while. Perhaps they would be interested in partnering with Cordish on a new high rise or with Block on what had been planned, or even look at being the partner behind proposed development at 13th & Grand North of T-Mobile. Just seems there are a host of proposed & or stalled projects the Royals might be able to invest in to get completed and generate revenue that way.

The Stadium is a catalyst to encourage new growth and the Royals should look at opportunities in the entire area. They seem to have shown the focus for the entertainment to be P&L and no longer need to develop that. I say focus on the stadium and look for opportunities around it & cherry pick the best ones as you should be able to get the best deals on those developments. That would kind of be the best IMO. Let the Crossroads continue as the Crossroads and let the Royals look for other opportunities to take advantage of where the city can help and they have the financial resourcing/backing to get it done.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The Yes on 1 Twitter account just announced that Oak will stay open.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:35 am The Yes on 1 Twitter account just announced that Oak will stay open.

KCDowntown
yuge
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That changed my vote from "hell no" to tepid "yes."
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

moderne wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 am That changed my vote from "hell no" to tepid "yes."
The potential news of them not touching east of Oak right now may help people too? I personally think they should do "something" east of oak and there is plenty of space to do so and not interrupt businesses there or tear down everything
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

If it’s truly about 50/50 as the polls suggest, then keeping Oak open could be just enough to get this vote over the line. That’s probably why they did it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:42 pm
dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:34 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:27 pm The reason they eliminated Oak is because they want the buildings right up against the stadium. Especially the office and residential that will have awesome ballpark views that can help demand higher rents.
Yea, I don't give a F about their theoretical higher rents. The street needs to stay open and I'm going to fight for it.

It's also not their street, the city owns it, so it will require a ordinance to be passed and recommended approval by city plan commission. It's not a sure thing.
Yeah, I get it. I’m just telling you what’s up. They’re putting a billion dollars plus of their own money into the project, they care about what they can generate on the revenue side.

The city has already approved Oak going away as part of this plan in preliminary talks. Nothing is a sure thing.
Remember in February when we were told to quit worrying about Oak, it's already gone and get OAKy with it? This is why we continued. Great news today.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

So stadium related developments east of Oak are dead for now? Would be a mistake to still not buy up a large amount of the property over there and plan some things. There are sites for two big buildings and a series of smaller gaps for smaller buildings.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

We won!! Oak stays open. Literally been screaming about that for 6 months.