Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by rxlexi »

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:25 am Nashville has grown exponentially in the last 10 years. Convention Center is a big project I would point to that launched things but of course there was much much more and over many decades..
Not to derail this, but Nashville also has a huge economic growth driver in HCA, plus state gov and Vanderbilt. Three big components of a diverse economy that laid the foundation for a lot of the fun "It City" dynamic. As we continue to lose large companies to mergers and outside interests, with our major universities and state gov outside the city, what will be KC's major economic "reason for being" and jobs driver going forward?

I know, much larger discussion for another thread.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

John Sherman says Stadium will be open in 2027 or 2028.

If what was said earlier about 3 year build timeline being correct, vote passes this August…then I think fairly easily open by Opening Day 2027. I think it’s only 2028 if something went wrong (the vote, etc).
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:04 pm John Sherman says Stadium will be open in 2027 or 2028.

If what was said earlier about 3 year build timeline being correct, vote passes this August…then I think fairly easily open by Opening Day 2027. I think it’s only 2028 if something went wrong (the vote, etc).
I was at the Rally Fest yesterday - he said 27 or 28 at the earliest. Also hinted it may be more than a 2 billion dollar project

Not saying we shouldn't be optimistic and I want this thing started tomorrow but just want to clarify
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I feel like none of you have ever dealt with a compliance department in your life.

Hiii, Goldman Sachs VP here, just want to make sure it's okay if I … hangs up phone.

You all work in these places with no rules. Can I come?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:23 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:04 pm John Sherman says Stadium will be open in 2027 or 2028.

I was at the Rally Fest yesterday - he said 27 or 28 at the earliest. Also hinted it may be more than a 2 billion dollar project

Not saying we shouldn't be optimistic and I want this thing started tomorrow but just want to clarify
Yeah I saw. I think it’s very likely gonna be 2027 based on all the factors. 2028 feels like a fallback in case things go wrong somewhere along the line. If they get the vote this year, it should be done by March 2027.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:53 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:23 pm

Yeah I saw. I think it’s very likely gonna be 2027 based on all the factors. 2028 feels like a fallback in case things go wrong somewhere along the line. If they get the vote this year, it should be done by March 2027.
I'll buy three people dinner if it's done then. A drink to each as well
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm I feel like none of you have ever dealt with a compliance department in your life.

Hiii, Goldman Sachs VP here, just want to make sure it's okay if I … hangs up phone.

Not sure if I get this post?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:59 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm I feel like none of you have ever dealt with a compliance department in your life.

Not sure if I get this post?
I was being too sarcastic and bitchy. The ownership group will offer a lot. But like you can't invest your private money and then use shareholder funds to enrich yourself.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kansas City Star: Royals owner John Sherman addresses potential timeline for new downtown stadium.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/k ... 18522.html

Lot of talk of other logistics too. Like extending sales tax (not adding), state and city would need to make road upgrades, etc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:36 am Kansas City Star: Royals owner John Sherman addresses potential timeline for new downtown stadium.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/k ... 18522.html

Lot of talk of other logistics too. Like extending sales tax (not adding), state and city would need to make road upgrades, etc
“The (entertainment) development will be financed 100% with private capital. Ownership will contribute a meaningful part of the stadium. ... We’ll be the biggest partner in this. I want our fans in the community to understand that.”
It appears the non-stadium structures will be built without asking for subsidies from the usual governing entities. This again leads me to think they are going to finance that themselves using the opportunity zone tax benefits.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Clark Hunt said at Super Bowl media today that they're "working in tandem with the Royals" and are seriously looking at the option of a *new* stadium and not just a renovation.

https://twitter.com/codybtapp/status/16 ... p_pp1wtT0A
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:26 pm Clark Hunt said at Super Bowl media today that they're "working in tandem with the Royals" and are seriously looking at the option of a *new* stadium and not just a renovation.

https://twitter.com/codybtapp/status/16 ... p_pp1wtT0A
Not new info, and if anything makes it sound less far along than previous statements. We already knew a new stadium was one of the options under consideration.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

If the Royals build, and the Chiefs decide to build, could Arrowhead be converted to MLS with a folding roof?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Jblanco wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:53 pm If the Royals build, and the Chiefs decide to build, could Arrowhead be converted to MLS with a folding roof?
MLS requires a purpose-built soccer stadium now
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:55 pm
Jblanco wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:53 pm If the Royals build, and the Chiefs decide to build, could Arrowhead be converted to MLS with a folding roof?
MLS requires a purpose-built soccer stadium now
Besides, Arrowhead would be too large for MLS purposes. This thread is getting way off track. Back to downtown baseball.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:03 pm Besides, Arrowhead would be too large for MLS purposes. This thread is getting way off track. Back to downtown baseball.
WTH are you talking about? My one comment was about the Royals moving and I asked a simple question. You chiming some silly shit about Arrowhead "being too large" is a dumb ass reply. Obviously the stadium would undergo a major retool and wouldn't seat 80K. Are you an architect or structural engineer?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Jblanco wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:44 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:03 pm Besides, Arrowhead would be too large for MLS purposes. This thread is getting way off track. Back to downtown baseball.
WTH are you talking about? My one comment was about the Royals moving and I asked a simple question. You chiming some silly shit about Arrowhead "being too large" is a dumb ass reply. Obviously the stadium would undergo a major retool and wouldn't seat 80K. Are you an architect or structural engineer?
Let me enlighten you on this gloomy night since I think it would be beneficial to you since you're relatively new here. This thread has often been hijacked by a discussion about things other than the future Royals Stadium based on a singular post (like the one you posted). We rather stay on topic rather than veer off often since most users rather not see things not related to the subject at hand. You asked about Arrowhead being reused as an MLS Stadium, I responded directly to that inquiry with a factual statement of "Arrowhead would be too large for MLS purposes". Overhaul it if you want, but the specialness would go away as a result.

It is not my job, nor interest, to answer an anon's questions. If you're so inclined to find out my background, look me up. I keep it real in person and online.
You chiming some silly shit about Arrowhead "being too large" is a dumb ass reply.
Not as dumb as one invoking the future of Arrowhead and, possibly, MLS on a thread about, wait for it, a Downtown Baseball Stadium. What does that have anything to do with the new Royals Stadium? Are you inquiring about what happens to the Sport Complex as a result of the Royals leaving? If so, that'll be determined by those in charge at the appropriate time and is a discussion for another thread and another time.

For now, stay in your lane. We don't need another Alkali, DCole, or others hijacking threads to inject posts of non-substance to elicit a response. That's what Twitter and the Facebook comments section is for. I'm moving on.

I'm focused on hoping that the Royals take as much of a pledge to build a great team like they are to build a Downtown Stadium and District. Without a good team, you don't have the base to back you up on a multi-billion dollar district.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It's been a rough week overall on Rag, in multiple forums.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

When I am elected moderator, forum members will only allowed to post between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Jblanco wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:02 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:00 am For now, stay in your lane. We don't need another Alkali, DCole, or others hijacking threads .....
I asked one, short sweet question. Just more silly condescension and insult coming from someone that claims to be a "developer" when really you're more likely a trust-funded 26 yr old unemployed virgin with a drone. You don't even have a lane. Just drop this now and go away, you're the one hijacking.
This isn’t Twitter, let’s not go flinging insults for a call to keep the thread on topic…