Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am The new stadium being built near vine is nothing more than a fantasy started by a few on here
that is not accurate.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

What source do we actually have on it being a genuine site possibility?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The way we fund transportation, there's no way to combine these things. But the idea is to hopefully develop a real neighborhood. Which would include transit.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am The new stadium being built near vine is nothing more than a fantasy started by a few on here
that is not accurate.
I think Goonies is correct in the sense that the generic KCRag member is hyping up the site and its possibilities more than is reality. The hype part he is correct that I've never heard outside of Rag in any capacity.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That was from the downtown council vision document and had no location
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I have heard comments from several east side neighborhood leaders that support for any subsidies would only be for 18th St.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

moderne wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 pm I have heard comments from several east side neighborhood leaders that support for any subsidies would only be for 18th St.
Yeah I’m willing to bet that’s not the case in the end
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Read the comments on this thread about what people, mostly in other countries, think of the TSC parking lots. They are kind of funny. I'm sure many of you travel and know that a city the size of KC in Europe and many other places would have a Metro system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comme ... urce=share

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

was there mention of how much each one of those cars paid? I bet that would really set it off
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think that the 18th vine area most likely has been mentioned in discussions with ownership of Royals and KCMO leaders at some point. It could have been nothing more than it is a viable area with land that could be easily acquired if needed. I have no evidence of these meetings and not more details that what has been printed by other various media. Certainly is not a "fact" but I do believe it is an option, and one that has it's pluses and minuses.

My guess is the East Village is the most plausible location, and I think it also allows for the other development Sherman wants as well. I think 18th and Vine stands out for the more potential it may hold, especially transforming the area that already has some entertainment district type stuff present, and the Royals Baseball academy complex. These are things that are already there that would be great additions to anything new they would build with a stadium. But that is just brainstorming ideas that again I am sure have been discussed but nothing more beyond the what if stage.

East Village is a great location because there is development potential there as we would be building on massive stretches of parking lots and it may spur other high rise development on a side of downtown that has really been left behind these last 20yrs.

I'm betting on East Village but would not be surprised to hear another location. But I'm excited for baseball to come to downtown and everything good that can come with it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 am East Village is a great location because there is development potential there as we would be building on massive stretches of parking lots and it may spur other high rise development on a side of downtown that has really been left behind these last 20yrs.

I'm betting on East Village but would not be surprised to hear another location. But I'm excited for baseball to come to downtown and everything good that can come with it.
There is a lot more development space at 18th and Vine than East Village. Really not much space left at EV once a stadium is put there
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 am East Village is a great location because there is development potential there as we would be building on massive stretches of parking lots and it may spur other high rise development on a side of downtown that has really been left behind these last 20yrs.

There is a lot more development space at 18th and Vine than East Village. Really not much space left at EV once a stadium is put there
EV is all owned by 1 owner. Once a stadium is announced, land prices for sale in 18th&V will 10x. Mostly industrial users now, with some open lots further south in Wendel Phillips.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I think I posted above but EV has multiple different owners for the stadium site let alone the development district and really quite limited development options once a stadium is there.Yes, some of the sites around 18 Vine are owned by others but there is also 7x as much development land nearby. 18th Vine is the only stadium site solely under one owner and that owner is the government.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I heard a couple weeks ago from someone I asked in the know that the streetcar & P&L distance from each site is heavily taken into account, which is 10 minutes shorter for EV.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

There are WAY too many people out there on social media who think that shitty stadium example rendering (from the downtown KC plan) that was posted in the KC Star is the actual stadium proposal for the Royals. Everyone keeps saying "that stadium looks horrible". That was a big fuck up by the Star.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm That was a big fuck up by the Star.
Basically every single thread on this forum
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

A bigger mistake from whoever released the renders to drum up support for the stadium.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm A bigger mistake from whoever released the renders to drum up support for the stadium.
That would be the KC downtowners group. And I concur.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:20 am
chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm A bigger mistake from whoever released the renders to drum up support for the stadium.
That would be the KC downtowners group Downtown Council. And I concur.
Here's the dedicated section: https://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/u ... llpark.pdf

Good urban form is proposed:
F1b. Integrate the new Ballpark seamlessly into its neighborhood, respecting the surrounding urban form.

i. Ensure that all sides of the facility are
welcoming and have a vibrant street
presence with no blank walls.

ii. Ensure that the stadium design weaves into
the fabric of Downtown and surrounding
neighborhoods, with active edges and
plazas.

iii. Design for multi-modal stadium access,
ensuring that baseball fans have many
choices on how to get to the stadium.