Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by AllThingsKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 am Shouldn't the Coyotes leaving be a cautionary tale for the Royals? The Coyotes had 2 serviceable arenas to use and Tempe turned down an arena deal tax, they must have found a sweatheart deal in SLC and said see ya later.
It should a cautionary tale for Jackson County. I believe the Coyotes tried 2 times in 2 different Arizona cities to get something done. Both failed, so they left.

The down side to voting NO on Question 1 (and wanting to keep the Royals) is that there is no guarantee of a 2nd chance. Even if the Royals decide to do something for a 2nd opportunity for the county or city, it will almost certainly have to pass because I doubt the Royals would try a 3rd time in the KC area.
KC is the way to be!
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am
taxi wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 pm She's back at it. Misinformation and smear campaign in full force.
In my opinion, you should sue her.
Well I personally wouldn't sue her but I do think some people should, including Matt Abbott. However, you just give her a bigger platform at that point. She's been emboldened by the same 25 people who gas her up on every post she makes.
My friends and I no longer frequent any of her establishments because of crap like this.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am
taxi wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 am
In my opinion, you should sue her.
Well I personally wouldn't sue her but I do think some people should, including Matt Abbott. However, you just give her a bigger platform at that point. She's been emboldened by the same 25 people who gas her up on every post she makes.
My friends and I no longer frequent any of her establishments because of crap like this.
It’s a shame because these were some of the best concepts in town, but I have no desire to patronize these places now.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Wow, how will she ever survive?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 pm Wow, how will she ever survive?
You make jokes, but......
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I mean, she’ll probably be fine without my business, but that’s not my reasoning so 🤷🏻‍♂️
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Subsidies and accounting?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm
Her business model is simplistic. Sell the minimum amount of food required legally to obtain liquor license. Sell bullshit fancy sounding cocktails with a 5000% profit margin (don't forget the dash of biters). Allow outside food to avoid needing any kind of kitchen or kitchen staff. Keep everything minimalist. The place does just enough to pay the bills but never generate real profits, thus open 5 different similar concepts to scrap together 50k a year profit to live off of. Call yourself a business genius, spend more time on social justice, class warfare and playing the victim than improving one of your businesses. Claim you don't care to make money, you just want to bring people together while providing people work and windows space for fund abortion posters.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

In response to the Coyotes' news about relocation to SLC, the Diamondbacks released this statement
"The entire Diamondbacks organization is disappointed in the now official news of our NHL team being relocated out of state," the statement read. "We firmly believe that we deserve and can support teams from each of the major sports and are troubled that a solution could not be found for all parties involved. We are sad for all sports fans and all who care so deeply about our community."
Considering their stadium lease expires after the 2027 season, you can hear their concern about being able to get public money in AZ. Another situation to monitor
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm
Her business model is simplistic. Sell the minimum amount of food required legally to obtain liquor license. Sell bullshit fancy sounding cocktails with a 5000% profit margin (don't forget the dash of biters). Allow outside food to avoid needing any kind of kitchen or kitchen staff. Keep everything minimalist. The place does just enough to pay the bills but never generate real profits, thus open 5 different similar concepts to scrap together 50k a year profit to live off of. Call yourself a business genius, spend more time on social justice, class warfare and playing the victim than improving one of your businesses. Claim you don't care to make money, you just want to bring people together while providing people work and windows space for fund abortion posters.
JFC you are seriously butt-hurt.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Don’t forget the 100k in PPP handouts.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The Coyotes' situation is much different than the Royals. For one they have been a troubled franchise for some time now. Two, for the last two seasons they have been playing in a 5,000 seat arena on a college campus and for the foreseeable future this situation would continue.
The Royals are still committed to TSC till 2031 so that gives the team plenty of time to work something out with local and state governments.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

I will never go back to her cocktail bar after she had a list of rules or u could be kicked out. U could not wear anything political like trump gear or pro life stuff. I hate trump as much as anyone else but this list of rules is pretty silly. I love how she markets her place as inclusive and welcoming to all but pretty much says she doesn't want half the population in her place. When Trump was in office she had stuff plastered all over her place that said "we will get them at the midterms" meaning that the Democrats will take back the Senate or house in the midterms giving Trump no power.

I've also thought the cash only policy was kind of shady, like she was trying to avoid paying taxes. I feel like her customer base is someone that rarely carries cash and would gladly pay a 5% markup to pay via credit card.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 pm

I’m butt hurt? You’re the one defending her, I’m only saying the truth as I’ve been told about her by several people she knows and they know how she operates. She opened herself up to criticism by going public with flat out slanderous attacks on anyone who supported a downtown stadium. She declared herself the “save crossroads” spokesperson with her daily posts and media appearances.

Go sit on some ice. I’m sure you can find a seat at one of her many empty bar stools.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:21 am
Imarealperson wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

I will never go back to her cocktail bar after she had a list of rules or u could be kicked out. U could not wear anything political like trump gear or pro life stuff. I hate trump as much as anyone else but this list of rules is pretty silly. I love how she markets her place as inclusive and welcoming to all but pretty much says she doesn't want half the population in her place. When Trump was in office she had stuff plastered all over her place that said "we will get them at the midterms" meaning that the Democrats will take back the Senate or house in the midterms giving Trump no power.

I've also thought the cash only policy was kind of shady, like she was trying to avoid paying taxes. I feel like her customer base is someone that rarely carries cash and would gladly pay a 5% markup to pay via credit card.
Of course it’s to avoid paying taxes.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:56 am

I’m butt hurt? You’re the one defending her, I’m only saying the truth as I’ve been told about her by several people she knows and they know how she operates. She opened herself up to criticism by going public with flat out slanderous attacks on anyone who supported a downtown stadium. She declared herself the “save crossroads” spokesperson with her daily posts and media appearances.

Go sit on some ice. I’m sure you can find a seat at one of her many empty bar stools.
She doesn't seem to need defending, I just find everyone's pronouncements about future bar visits amusing.

It would be like me boycotting a Ted Nugent concert.

But go ahead and double down on the Jeff Roe strategy, worked well in the past.

Have fun at the P&L!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:52 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:56 am

She doesn't seem to need defending, I just find everyone's pronouncements about future bar visits amusing.

It would be like me boycotting a Ted Nugent concert.

But go ahead and double down on the Jeff Roe strategy, worked well in the past.

Have fun at the P&L!
P&L attracts more visitors each year than the Royals and Chiefs combined at over 9 million. I think they're just fine but they're smart enough to stay out of the the politics. If Ted Nugent would have shut the hell up years ago, he'd still be playing bigger shows but he only gets booked for bike rally's and the occasional deep red Texas gig. So yeah, him opening his mouth cost him dearly and if Jill was such a fantastic business person as she claims, she should know that it's one thing to stand up for yourself and your neighborhood, but it's a different thing when you decide to alienate half the population in the same breath you claim you're establishments are about inclusivity. She could have made her case without the claims that Matt Abbot was a "predatory" land lord or that Cordish was in secret backroom dealings with the Mayor steering the entire process. She represents something so wrong with this country, using unproven misinformation to push a narrative. Not spending any money her establishments is easy but I'll go one step further, I look forward to her demise.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You don't get it, she alienated half the population as soon as she opened.

She's had the no Trump-ware, no MAGA bullshit since day one and somehow has still thrived and expanded.

In a years time, she will still be around, but there still won't be a ballpark in the Crossroads.

Put the Royals back in the EV, sic Graves and Cleaver on the Feds and use some freaking imagination about how to connect the EV to P&L.

A significant chunk of the opposition will switch sides.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm Put the Royals back in the EV, sic Graves and Cleaver on the Feds and use some freaking imagination about how to connect the EV to P&L.
lol that isn’t how it works.

GSA and FPS answer to themselves and DHS, so a couple Congressmen won’t really do all that much to bend them, even if only trying to associate with the regional directors. Short of the feds moving these offices out of DT, there isn’t much in the way of crowd generating uses that will work in EV.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm You don't get it, she alienated half the population as soon as she opened.

She's had the no Trump-ware, no MAGA bullshit since day one and somehow has still thrived and expanded.

In a years time, she will still be around, but there still won't be a ballpark in the Crossroads.

Put the Royals back in the EV, sic Graves and Cleaver on the Feds and use some freaking imagination about how to connect the EV to P&L.

A significant chunk of the opposition will switch sides.
The property tax fiasco followed up by being asked to extend a tax had more to do with the no votes than the location. To be frank, the majority of the population could give two fucks about the businesses that would have needed to relocate. EV is done. It’s not the best site. It’s even more expensive and requires cooperation from state and federal agencies that don’t want to play or spend.

And if there is no public vote required, they’re not worried about what you think. All the imagination in the world doesn’t solve a distance problem. A significant chunk of the population will support it if they don’t have to pay for it.

Jill and her business has never “thrived”. Barely keeping the lights on and doors open isn’t thriving.