Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:45 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:28 pm I tried to make that readable
Thanks - that's a big improvement.

KCDowntown
No, thank you! I didn't edit anything. Just broke it up because I struggle to read block text.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The talk of public transportation makes me think they will be pursuing incentives via KCATA
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Sometimes I think about how lucky we all are as downtown development geeks to be alive right now. We are witnessing possibly one of if not the best period of development in downtown KC history.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The more I've been thinking about it today- I believe firing Moore did have something to do with the stadium. It was about gaining trust and buying goodwill with the public. Fans this season started making it very clear they weren't gonna be happy about shelling out the money for a stadium, and rightly so. The complaints were that the Royals only cared about the status quo and stadium dollars. Firing Moore sends a message to the community that Sherman still cares very seriously about winning, and it may instill some more trust behind him with the downtown stadium project. I personally know several who supported it, but then changed their minds because they believed Sherman fundamentally didn't care about making changes to the team and getting better. I think firing Moore is Sherman trying to gain trust back of the fans, and buying some good-will for the stadium vote. Because there's no way people were gonna accept this extremely disappointing season with zero changes and then happily let them that stadium happen. That is my read on the situation.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kboish wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm The talk of public transportation makes me think they will be pursuing incentives via KCATA
North. Loop. Already an existing streetcar stop right there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

People in those positions are hired to be fired. On the field the team went backwards and nothing about a stadium. Someone had to be the fall guy so might as well start at the top. Look for more changes after the season ends.
And sometimes two people just don't mesh and that could have been the case now. Whitey Herzog was a successful, popular, hometown manager for the Royals and yet Kaufman let me go after 1979.I don't remember a reason being given but many felt the two just didn't get along or shall we say a difference of opinion. True, the team had a let down year after three playoff losses to the Yankees and went to the World Series the next year after after Herzog but Whitey did have a good run in St Louis afterwards.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:47 am Whitey Herzog was a successful, popular, hometown manager for the Royals and yet Kaufman let me go after 1979
Good to know the great Whitey Herzog is on the Rag apparently! :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm The talk of public transportation makes me think they will be pursuing incentives via KCATA
Yeah that was a tip of the hand to me too. What big block of land does KCATA own? ooorrrr Would a combo deal allow for a "future" east/west line that they could promote as part of this stadium in like a phase 2?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:19 am Yeah that was a tip of the hand to me too. What big block of land does KCATA own? ooorrrr Would a combo deal allow for a "future" east/west line that they could promote as part of this stadium in like a phase 2?
Also could be possible reference to EV transit/bus center, which would be basically right across the street from a new stadium development there. If wanting to build and own both stadium and ancillary development, I've got to think EV may be the best AND most expedient option.

I still think it's possible to do something pretty cool there, like the stadium on garage podium + towers concept put forth by Pendulum a while back (link below). Have we all forgotten that concept or deemed it too pie-in-the-sky (notwithstanding frou frou stuff like the infinity pools, etc.)?

https://www.pendulumkc.com/#/royalsballpark/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd hope he wasn't talking about that transit center in the respect of "expanding transit" which I thought was his exact words
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I want downtown baseball so any location downtown is better then TSC for me. EV has always been the most likely location but it’s also the least imaginative. Being KC, this is probably where it will end up.

Fuck I’m just excited about downtown baseball. If they make a bold move on location it will be the icing on the cake.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah it will be such a huge improvement. Much like new KCI versus current.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Since I don’t think there will be room for much of a streetscape focus in EV, they need to make up for it by having towers.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

EV may be unimaginative, as stated by some, but it is the blank canvas they may want and allow them to build the “entertainment village” around the ballpark which will engage not only Royals ownership but other investors, especially on the fringe of EV. So the development we may desire to connect the P&L, Crossroads, and rest of downtown to the EV site may happen organically through other developers ready to strike while the iron is hot. IMO the stadium in EV is a catalyst that will drive the 2nd wave of development downtown. 670 cap is a big part as well. Going to heat up again once it’s announced,
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ the blank canvas is what scares me the most. I’ve not heard of them partnering with a developer and they have zero experience designing and operating a district. EV is half the size of land The Battery sits on in Atlanta. Seems like a big lot but it’s just over 1M sf. If you combine the jail site with the surface lot at 13th and Grand you’re just under a million Sf.

I believe centralized development and growing outwards is the best bet to long term success opposed to these different pockets of activity with hope all the in between gets filled in.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Most people in KC and the metro area would consider EV to be centralized development and growing outwards.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I like the many and varied districts and areas of KC. I like that depending on what type of experience I want I can choose to spend time in Crossroads, River Market, West Bottoms, 39th Street, Westport, NKC, etc. KC being extremely easy to navigate means all the major neighborhoods and districts can be reached in less than 20 minutes (usually more like 10) from one another. It allows for a diversity of vibes.

I'm against the ballpark in the Crossroads for a few reasons. One is vibes, the Crossroads is about independent and local restaurants, bars, breweries, distilleries, and art. The last thing I think we need to do is try to assimilate baseball into that environment.

The second is fine grain vs coarse grain and super blocks. I would prefer to keep the Crossroads fine grained and connected. The stadium will be a massive use of land requiring the consolidation of huge super block (not the pedestrian friendly Barcelona kind either) that will actually kill walkability and connectivity. If the stadium goes to EV it is (at least for my young, able body) still walkable from both PNL and Crossroads while still being peripheral enough to not suck the energy out of any existing, functioning area. I know the do no harm approach is not the sexiest or favorite idea on this thread right now but can we please think about the potential harm consolidation a 4 square block superblock and putting a hugely land intensive structure, that is definitionally dead space the majority of the time, down right in the middle of a neighborhood that has organic momentum.

Last point, the EV might not present a spatially huge blank canvas, fine. The surrounding spin off will necessarily be denser to achieve the same or greater number of residential units as the Battery for example. Let them build up a bit, after all it is going to be urban not suburban like the Battery. If the Royals want full control of spin off residential and commercial development then it is necessarily going to be pretty canned and corporate, sorry that's just reality. So lets keep it away from the organic and burgeoning Crossroads which as the name suggests, really is already the center of so much energy and connectivity. No need to completely derail an area that is already moving in the right direction on its own.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

They need a real plan to fix the streetscape if they go to the EV. Particularly down 12th and also going through Cherry. I would just demo what we can and start over for most of it. It's necessary.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm I like the many and varied districts and areas of KC. I like that depending on what type of experience I want I can choose to spend time in Crossroads, River Market, West Bottoms, 39th Street, Westport, NKC, etc. KC being extremely easy to navigate means all the major neighborhoods and districts can be reached in less than 20 minutes (usually more like 10) from one another. It allows for a diversity of vibes.

I'm against the ballpark in the Crossroads for a few reasons. One is vibes, the Crossroads is about independent and local restaurants, bars, breweries, distilleries, and art. The last thing I think we need to do is try to assimilate baseball into that environment.

The second is fine grain vs coarse grain and super blocks. I would prefer to keep the Crossroads fine grained and connected. The stadium will be a massive use of land requiring the consolidation of huge super block (not the pedestrian friendly Barcelona kind either) that will actually kill walkability and connectivity. If the stadium goes to EV it is (at least for my young, able body) still walkable from both PNL and Crossroads while still being peripheral enough to not suck the energy out of any existing, functioning area. I know the do no harm approach is not the sexiest or favorite idea on this thread right now but can we please think about the potential harm consolidation a 4 square block superblock and putting a hugely land intensive structure, that is definitionally dead space the majority of the time, down right in the middle of a neighborhood that has organic momentum.

Last point, the EV might not present a spatially huge blank canvas, fine. The surrounding spin off will necessarily be denser to achieve the same or greater number of residential units as the Battery for example. Let them build up a bit, after all it is going to be urban not suburban like the Battery. If the Royals want full control of spin off residential and commercial development then it is necessarily going to be pretty canned and corporate, sorry that's just reality. So lets keep it away from the organic and burgeoning Crossroads which as the name suggests, really is already the center of so much energy and connectivity. No need to completely derail an area that is already moving in the right direction on its own.
I disagree about how it could integrate in E Crossroads but I get the vibe check. I do think it can be built to fit within the neighborhood and not feel like a dead zone on off days.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Another business going into the East Crossroads baseball location as another example of this area already thriving

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 22591.html