Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

Royals are not looking at a rehab option.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:35 am Royals are not looking at a rehab option.
Royals have looked at a rehab option but the focus and desire is to move downtown
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:58 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:17 am And a rehab will be cheaper than a new build.
not accurate.
One has to consider land costs along with clearing, water and sewer upgrades along with possible electric, costs a TSC rehab will not have to bear. In past times rehabbing Royal's stadium was far cheaper than building new.
So, why is the statement inaccurate? Explain.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:36 am
normalthings wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:58 am
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:17 am And a rehab will be cheaper than a new build.
not accurate.
One has to consider land costs along with clearing, water and sewer upgrades along with possible electric, costs a TSC rehab will not have to bear. In past times rehabbing Royal's stadium was far cheaper than building new.
So, why is the statement inaccurate? Explain.
A full gut rehab, what is required, will be more expensive than a new build. It’s just like the KCI new vs Reno discussion
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:52 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:35 am Royals are not looking at a rehab option.
Royals have looked at a rehab option but the focus and desire is to move downtown
I guess you could say they've looked at the cost but not because they're considering it. More likely so they can be prepared when all the KC boomers who think Kauffman is "fine the way it is" ask about renovating and staying put.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Past work on the K was about adding features and dressing up the look. Basically lipstick on a pig + new bells and whistles.

The Royals don't exactly have a stadium problem, they have a stadium location problem.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:47 am Past work on the K was about adding features and dressing up the look. Basically lipstick on a pig + new bells and whistles.

The Royals don't exactly have a stadium problem, they have a stadium location problem.
But if Chiefs are going on ballot with Royals in spring, wouldn't that mean they also are going for a new stadium?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:44 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:47 am Past work on the K was about adding features and dressing up the look. Basically lipstick on a pig + new bells and whistles.

But if Chiefs are going on ballot with Royals in spring, wouldn't that mean they also are going for a new stadium?
Could be a joint venture asking for a tax to help fund a new baseball stadium and a arrowhead renovation. I think the Chiefs being involved is clever but this round could also just be for the fifa upgrades Arrowhead needs.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Believe the current JC sales tax isn't set to expire until 2031 when the stadium leases are up. So any tax vote would likely be for a new tax, whatever kind of tax is chosen. Both teams have been treated equally when it comes to tax support, doubt a new baseball stadium and FIFA upgrades would be equal. Then you would have to have a second election for the Chiefs stadium.
BTW forgot to add the possible cost of a parking garage or two if there is a new baseball stadium downtown.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:51 pm Believe the current JC sales tax isn't set to expire until 2031 when the stadium leases are up. So any tax vote would likely be for a new tax, whatever kind of tax is chosen. Both teams have been treated equally when it comes to tax support, doubt a new baseball stadium and FIFA upgrades would be equal. Then you would have to have a second election for the Chiefs stadium.
BTW forgot to add the possible cost of a parking garage or two if there is a new baseball stadium downtown.
Parking revenue they don' have to share and doesn't allow for tailgating. You just hit a major reason to move baseball downtown.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

"Parking revenue they don' have to share and doesn't allow for tailgating."

The teams don't share parking revenues, they keep the revenues for their games but also have the operating costs on those game days. Believe they do share the costs to maintain the parking lots (I do believe) but how they share I don't know.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:52 pm "Parking revenue they don' have to share and doesn't allow for tailgating."

The teams don't share parking revenues, they keep the revenues for their games but also have the operating costs on those game days. Believe they do share the costs to maintain the parking lots (I do believe) but how they share I don't know.
Yeah, was thinking they share with the city. Which I guess they’d advocate for again with a new structure. But the big win is discouraging tailgating so they can climb from the bottom of the league in concession revenue. Which could hopefully correlate to a better product on the field.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

I have to say I can't see Kansas ever going empty handed and all three teams being in Missouri.

It was only recently they were talking up using star bonds and sports betting money to get the Chiefs. Long term situation I feel at this point is SKC staying where they are, Royals Downtown and a new stadium for the Chiefs on TSC, for better or worse.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Rusty Irish wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:15 pm I have to say I can't see Kansas ever going empty handed and all three teams being in Missouri.

It was only recently they were talking up using star bonds and sports betting money to get the Chiefs. Long term situation I feel at this point is SKC staying where they are, Royals Downtown and a new stadium for the Chiefs on TSC, for better or worse.
Don't completely disagree but I see a slightly different version.

Royals downtown -
Chiefs Renovate Arrowhead
SKC finds its way downtown in 10 years.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I really hope the Royals are not looking to get a public vote on moving downtown. That would be an epic disaster. If they want to move it’s basically going to be on their dime. I can see KC & Jackson County offering some incentives but no way they put this to a tax payer financed kind of deal. That would be really dumb. Plus if you need that go ahead & sell & move the team now and save all of us heartache down the road.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

John Sherman will be talking to the press sometime this afternoon. There is no indication yet as to what he will be discussing.

KCDowntown
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:05 am John Sherman will be talking to the press sometime this afternoon. There is no indication yet as to what he will be discussing.

KCDowntown
Just saw this too. Is it happening??
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:12 pm Just saw this too. Is it happening??
Press conference at 2PM. Still no indication on what will be discussed. I have seen that KCTV5 will have a live feed.

KCDowntown
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I feel like this isn’t how you announce a move? Wouldn’t you want to be surrounded by all the other important people? And not when you’re ending a pathetic season?

There was a really damning piece out a week or so ago about how awful and behind the times the royals are.

This might be about that
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:37 pm I feel like this isn’t how you announce a move? Wouldn’t you want to be surrounded by all the other important people? And not when you’re ending a pathetic season?

There was a really damning piece out a week or so ago about how awful and behind the times the royals are.

This might be about that
Speculation is either they’re firing people or it’s stadium. Or it could end up being just info about new stadium- perhaps they finally release renderings today.