Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

What if the basketball experience were incorporated into the stadium? Doesn't make sense I guess (basketball?), but it could be a possibility.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:37 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:32 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm The location west of EV could be this site called “P&L site” on the KC stars page. It’d be a tight fit.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 24199.html
What are the bounding streets for those of us without subscriptions? Are you talking about the two square blocks directly north of the T-Mobile Center?

That would indeed be a tight fit. But very centric and would kill a couple of birds with a single stone.
12th& 13th with Grand & Oak

In the image, the stadium takes out the college basketball experience (lol)
Yea that's the site I was thinking you were speaking of but didn't realize it took out 13th street and the basketball experience. In that scenario, it would essentially abut T-Mobile and would the Court of Appeals building be an issue? Another problem would be not having any E-W through traffic through downtown between 12th and Truman. Surmountable but not ideal.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:20 pm
Goonies wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:34 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:27 am Expect a completely different location to be announced. Still downtown, but not east village. Things are moving fast.
Location?
I can’t say exactly but all the partners involved met recently and renderings were shown. I’m getting my information from the pitch deck presented to the partners. I’m sure this new location involves complications and could prove to be too difficult. It does seem to be the number one choice and flavor of the week.
Any sense of when they will come out with a definitive choice?
mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

=Here's one more wild guess...take the Populous "Living Park" design https://www.si.com/mlb/2014/03/13/popul ... ark-dayjpg and put it in Washington Sq Park. Might fit, once you dig down (and keep in mind stadium trends are reducing capacity for better, higher-end amenities, so guessing it won't be a 40k seater.)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:37 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:32 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm The location west of EV could be this site called “P&L site” on the KC stars page. It’d be a tight fit.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 24199.html
What are the bounding streets for those of us without subscriptions? Are you talking about the two square blocks directly north of the T-Mobile Center?

That would indeed be a tight fit. But very centric and would kill a couple of birds with a single stone.
12th& 13th with Grand & Oak

In the image, the stadium takes out the college basketball experience (lol)
The CBE is a waste of space anyway!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Come on DC!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A bold thing to say when P&L has some spots never filled.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I kinda like the jail location better and it's west of EV
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm A bold thing to say when P&L has some spots never filled.
The entire world has experienced retail leasing issues over the last 15 years. What’s the CBE’s excuse for being a massively underutilized space? Point is, the CBE can go away for something that will use the space in a better overall capacity. Just like how some empty retail will soon be demolished to make way for a residential tower in PNL.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:16 pm
earthling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm A bold thing to say when P&L has some spots never filled.
The entire world has experienced retail leasing issues over the last 15 years. What’s the CBE’s excuse for being a massively underutilized space? Point is, the CBE can go away for something that will use the space in a better overall capacity. Just like how some empty retail will soon be demolished to make way for a residential tower in PNL.
I'm actually impressed at how well the P&L has stayed leased considering everything. Small downtown workforce, no pro tenant in the arena etc.

Do you think the World Cup will expedite any plans for Cordish? Especially the hotel?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As a neighbor I wish that retail space stayed and useful amenities added. District Tan ain't it.

I'm not blaming Cordish on this, I understand it's not their problem, it's a nationwide retail problem, but it would still be nice
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Mayor Q just said on radio he prefers Downtown/EV over an 18th & Vine stadium.

Concerns about gentrification and ruining the community at Vine.

Well shit, there goes that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah 18th and vine location is dead if he's floating that.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

One problem with locations like the jail site, the 12th & Grand site, and Washington Square Park is the lack of space for spin-off development. Its seems like a known fact that Sherman and the group want to profit off of ancillary development around the stadium and these locations don't leave much (if any) space for any of that.

One thought I've had is the far east crossroads or even the KC Star plant offer blocks where you can buy up a large amount of space with few different property owners and have space around the stadium that don't have high impact usage that can be bought up.

Regardless, we likely won't know anything until the Royals have a press conference or someone on here decides to be a KCRag hero.

KCDowntown
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:40 pm One problem with locations like the jail site, the 12th & Grand site, and Washington Square Park is the lack of space for spin-off development. Its seems like a known fact that Sherman and the group want to profit off of ancillary development around the stadium and these locations don't leave much (if any) space for any of that.

One thought I've had is the far east crossroads or even the KC Star plant offer blocks where you can buy up a large amount of space with few different property owners and have space around the stadium that don't have high impact usage that can be bought up.

Regardless, we likely won't know anything until the Royals have a press conference or someone on here decides to be a KCRag hero.

KCDowntown
I heard Sherman say in an interview "it would be nice to round out the CBD" so I think he wants it land somewhere in the sphere of that
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I guess if they put it in the parking lots in the North Loop and then push for de-commissioning the North Loop, they could have a lot of spin off development space.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What does everyone suppose the timeline is on announcing an actual location?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCDowntown wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:40 pm One problem with locations like the jail site, the 12th & Grand site, and Washington Square Park is the lack of space for spin-off development. Its seems like a known fact that Sherman and the group want to profit off of ancillary development around the stadium and these locations don't leave much (if any) space for any of that.

KCDowntown
This one may work a bit different. We don’t need the stadium itself to spark more development. All the development done has sparked the desire for a downtown stadium. So why not put it where already completed development can capitalize? Would only help downtown leasing for example.

Not to mention, even the space planned for residential across the way in crossroads can be considered ballpark living.

I wish we could demo the parking garage at 13th and Grand.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:39 pm We don’t need the stadium itself to spark more development.
I agree with this sentiment 100%, and think the closer they can get it to existing amenities the better for KC. I'm just saying that one of the benefits for the owners of moving downtown is to profit off the move by developing around it. The more that ownership can profit off the development probably drops what they are going to ask in public financing.
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:39 pm I wish we could demo the parking garage at 13th and Grand.
I'll second that, I hate that thing with a passion.

KCDowntown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:21 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:16 pm
I'm actually impressed at how well the P&L has stayed leased considering everything. Small downtown workforce, no pro tenant in the arena etc.
The space/daytime+nighttime population ratio is what matters, not whether downtown is smaller workforce than other markets. Downtown retail vacancy was tight at 2-3% range before pandemic yet prime 14th/Main NW spot never once had a tenant. P&L has typically had higher vacancy than rest of downtown. So yes, bold thing for him to say.