Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by earthling »

6th/Main open lots?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:38 am 6th/Main open lots?
Would be way better than east loop. They need to find a better spot than east loop where you have nothing but gov buildings and highways. That east village area needs residential development a lot of residential development.

A stadium will not do much for that area. Even if a couple residential buildings are built near the stadium there, the east side of downtown would still be VERY dead even with a stadium.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:53 am
Would be way better than east loop. They need to find a better spot than east loop where you have nothing but gov buildings and highways. That east village area needs residential development. A stadium will not do much for that area. Even if a couple residential buildings are built near the stadium there, the east side of downtown would still be VERY dead even with a stadium.
If they go 6th & Main that doesn’t mean we still don’t try to remove the north loop
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Keep. It. Away. From. The. North. Loop.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

There was talk about it going next to P&L and the old jail site at one point
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Would be way better than east loop. They need to find a better spot than east loop where you have nothing but gov buildings and highways. That east village area needs residential development. A stadium will not do much for that area. Even if a couple residential buildings are built near the stadium there, the east side of downtown would still be VERY dead even with a stadium.
Think it has been communicated many times that the plan would include residential built as part of the stadium development.

Regardless, doing anything with those parking lots just south of the North Loop would be incredible. Went to John's Big Deck earlier this week and the sea of parking lots was honestly a bit depressing.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

While we're irresponsibly speculating, West Bottoms? American Royal area now that they are moving?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Goonies wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:07 pm
freedog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:05 pm While we're irresponsibly speculating, West Bottoms? American Royal area now that they are moving?
Please no. I don't get this town's fascination with the West Bottoms.
Historically important, near Rock Island Bridge, Levee Trails and (because stadiums have to face Northeast) provides a view of the skyline
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

freedog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:30 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:27 am Expect a completely different location to be announced. Still downtown, but not east village. Things are moving fast.
Different as in 18th and Vine? A new location that previously has not been part of the discussion?
Not sure if it’s been discussed before but west of EV. 18th and Vine is dead from what I gather.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:27 am Expect a completely different location to be announced. Still downtown, but not east village. Things are moving fast.
Different as in 18th and Vine? A new location that previously has not been part of the discussion?
Not sure if it’s been discussed before but west of EV. 18th and Vine is dead from what I gather.
Is that old fbi island big enough?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I don’t understand what’s west of EV for a stadium unless you mean the jail site
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Goonies wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:34 am
Location?
I can’t say exactly but all the partners involved met recently and renderings were shown. I’m getting my information from the pitch deck presented to the partners. I’m sure this new location involves complications and could prove to be too difficult. It does seem to be the number one choice and flavor of the week.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Ohhhh

That would be neat
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

freedog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:00 pm
Think it has been communicated many times that the plan would include residential built as part of the stadium development.

Regardless, doing anything with those parking lots just south of the North Loop would be incredible. Went to John's Big Deck earlier this week and the sea of parking lots was honestly a bit depressing.
Not enough room in EV to do much. A few mid or high rise buildings in that area is not to going to create the kind of vibrancy you guys think it will. IT will still be 90% government buildings, highways and parking lots and a huge stadium footprint. Still better than the TSC, but I don't see it really doing what most people want a stadium to do.

A location in the North loop (maybe even on top of I-70) or something more integrated into the urban fabric of the crossroads would do what people want a stadium to do.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The location west of EV could be this site called “P&L site” on the KC stars page. It’d be a tight fit.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 24199.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I've thought about this plot of land before and while it probably would be barely large enough to fit a stadium on, it's less than idea in many ways because it would be so isolated from the rest of downtown leaving pedestrians to have to cross large interstates to get to the stadium. And there's not much commercial on that side of downtown either (albeit there isn't in West Village either). I think that plot of land, including the now very isolated Mulkey Square Park, would be great for high density residential with some kind of pedestrian bridge connecting it to downtown.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm The location west of EV could be this site called “P&L site” on the KC stars page. It’d be a tight fit.

What are the bounding streets for those of us without subscriptions? Are you talking about the two square blocks directly north of the T-Mobile Center?

That would indeed be a tight fit. But very centric and would kill a couple of birds with a single stone.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:59 am There was talk about it going next to P&L and the old jail site at one point
I've been periodically checking in on the Jail site, the North Loop, and the East Village on the KCMO Parcel Viewer for years to see if the land was changing hands (which I figure would be the first indicator of the Royals move). No major moves have happened at any of the locations. The jail site has land owned by the Interstate Building, Ten Oak, Jackson County and the State of Missouri.

Really the only ownership change on Parcel Viewer in the last couple of years is that one block of the North Loop was purchased by a Columbia developer.

I think the Jail site would be best for the city if they can pull it off - close to public transportation, and major downtown amenities - but they'd likely have to go over the highway in some capacity.

KCDowntown
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:27 pm

I've thought about this plot of land before and while it probably would be barely large enough to fit a stadium on, it's less than idea in many ways because it would be so isolated from the rest of downtown leaving pedestrians to have to cross large interstates to get to the stadium. And there's not much commercial on that side of downtown either (albeit there isn't in West Village either). I think that plot of land, including the now very isolated Mulkey Square Park, would be great for high density residential with some kind of pedestrian bridge connecting it to downtown.
For sure. The bridges they already have to Westside are really neat.

The pedestrian bridge connecting the back/west side of the lot to Andrew Dripps/Jarboe park is a hidden gem and has some cool art.

Then of course the other bridge on the east side of the lot connecting it to the neighborhood has some of the best views of the skyline in the city. I've seen news broadcasts posting up there often and using it as a backdrop.

Just need to do something cool with 14th street and connect it to Quality Hill/downtown.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:32 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:25 pm The location west of EV could be this site called “P&L site” on the KC stars page. It’d be a tight fit.

What are the bounding streets for those of us without subscriptions? Are you talking about the two square blocks directly north of the T-Mobile Center?

That would indeed be a tight fit. But very centric and would kill a couple of birds with a single stone.
12th& 13th with Grand & Oak

In the image, the stadium takes out the college basketball experience (lol)