Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Metro »

Good KC deserves this. We've continued to elect shitty leadership.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

It seems like most of the new stadium deals rely on state government funding as a primary source of funding. Can it be that for two stadiums it it too high of a price for Jackson County to be the primary source of funding? Especially if Kansas is offering 100% financing.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It seems to me Kansas is really just focusing on the Chiefs and not so much the Royals. I kinda get the vibe they think Royals are still committed to downtown and not interested in Kansas.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Been talk in the Royals Review of a Star Bond ball park in DT KCK. Could this actually work, and where would it be?. Could a ball park fit into the part of the West Bottoms that is in KCK?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yes let's create two separate downtowns miles away from eachother instead of building the desperately needed critical mass in the only true one we have.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

moderne wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:56 pm Been talk in the Royals Review of a Star Bond ball park in DT KCK. Could this actually work, and where would it be?. Could a ball park fit into the part of the West Bottoms that is in KCK?
Why not get both states involved. Build stadium along the state line in the WB area.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:38 am
moderne wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:56 pm Been talk in the Royals Review of a Star Bond ball park in DT KCK. Could this actually work, and where would it be?. Could a ball park fit into the part of the West Bottoms that is in KCK?
Why not get both states involved. Build stadium along the state line in the WB area.
There is a little bit of precedence. On the map the "School of Construction Excellence" looks to straddle the line. The legal agreement would be something completely different for a ballpark though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I’m struggling to care anymore about this new baseball stadium. I was in here for more than two years saying let’s not “Kansas City” this and that’s what anything not located directly downtown would be. Kansas, West Bottoms, NKC, all a joke and lateral move from TSC.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:42 am I’m struggling to care anymore about this new baseball stadium. I was in here for more than two years saying let’s not “Kansas City” this and that’s what anything not located directly downtown would be. Kansas, West Bottoms, NKC, all a joke and lateral move from TSC.
+1
Its about leveraging our existing assets & amenities that we have downtown: population density and walkability (residents, office workers, tourist/convention visitors), transportation (streetcar), hotels, parking infrastructure, adjacent dining & entertainment.

If anything else if being considered they should save themselves the trouble and stay at the K until they leave the market.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:42 am I’m struggling to care anymore about this new baseball stadium. I was in here for more than two years saying let’s not “Kansas City” this and that’s what anything not located directly downtown would be. Kansas, West Bottoms, NKC, all a joke and lateral move from TSC.
Agreed. I mean not totally lateral as those locations are more connected than TSC but still dumb.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Agreed. Don’t think you’re alone on that. Just ignore the dumb noise about stupid locations that make no sense.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Because WB has abysmal access and would doom the Northloop removal plans
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:29 am
Because WB has abysmal access and would doom the Northloop removal plans
It’s sized to at least move 25,000 leaving an arena at once with minimal transit usage. Now imagine you add LRT, Monorail, or Cable car.

I don’t really support MLb down there though
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Royals anywhere in Kansas would be a disgrace. Even downtown KCK would be embarrassing. And the west bottoms? The arena has been down there for decades and look what it has down for the actual downtown. I would be fine with the NFL stadium in the WB, but no way the MLB stadium.

EV or EC for the Royals. Or some other downtown location.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Same. So glad I don't live there. This would wear me out constantly trying to talk people into having a vibrant downtown. Already spent so much time doing that when I lived there and it's bizarre that KC is still like it is even after the P&L district.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Honestly the Royals should be laser focused on the East Crossroads and have the foot print of the stadium be contained within Truman Rd to the north (with possible extension of freeway cap), Western border Grand, Southern border 17th ST, Eastern Border Oak. Build your park within that. Keep Oak open, and leave the businesses alone on the Eastern side of Oak street. Look for development opportunities in a circle that radiates out from there. There is vacant land to the South along Grand, to the North & East and even over to the EV site. Look to build some parking Garages in the EV on sites that are parking lots now. Have those garages serve the Royals and any businesses and new development that comes to the area. I'd look to add a garage development somewhere South Along Grand. Not just a garage but building that has parking but some other street level businesses etc.

Focus all of your effort into putting together an amazing master plan and renderings and get the neighborhood buy in's. Address parking concerns with specific solutions, they don't need 30K spaces or anything but show people here is extra garages that you can walk along these great pedestrian routes to get to the ballpark. Plus we can use them for other things. Make the stadium the catalyst for Part 2 of downtown development. But basically stop fucking around with this other shit and put all efforts and resources into making the Cross Roads site THE site. The best site with the best returns for all.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

A new thought I've been having lately is how the Royals having a winning season could impact this. I don't think anyone anticipated that coming and suddenly it might be a factor now.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:53 pm A new thought I've been having lately is how the Royals having a winning season could impact this. I don't think anyone anticipated that coming and suddenly it might be a factor now.
Chiefs didn't help
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

ericwyner wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:08 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:53 pm A new thought I've been having lately is how the Royals having a winning season could impact this. I don't think anyone anticipated that coming and suddenly it might be a factor now.
Chiefs didn't help
Let's be real though...that vote has basically nothing to do with the Chiefs