GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:29 pm
freedog wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:14 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:44 pm

If you could design it like San Fran where you can hit balls into the water? Then yes I’d be down. But I’m sure someone will screech about why we can’t

I still think best case scenario is we get Petco Park
Petco Park w/ fountains? I'd be thrilled with that! Plus it was designed by Populous.

For reference, Petco was built in 2004 for $474 Million. The Padres contributed $146.1 million and the city contributed the rest. "This money was raised through hotel taxes, $75.4 million from the City Center Development Corp., and $21 million from the Port of San Diego. An additional $171.8 million was required for land acquisition and infrastructure." https://law.marquette.edu/assets/sports ... -diego.pdf
That would be fine, although with Petco I meant the surroundings and overlay of the stadium
Where will this go though?

The royals have already said that there will be a place to tailgate if the Royals move.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Petco ... 117.156745
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Rethink the tailgate. Provide grills and benches in a designated area. People bring their coolers.

Sporting KC approached this with their indoor grilling area.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:20 pm Rethink the tailgate. Provide grills and benches in a designated area. People bring their coolers.

Can we just pretty much ditch the tailgate for Royals? Nobody else fucking tailgates for baseball…and I’m pretty sure we only do it because there’s nothing else to do outside the stadium.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Leaving parking lots in the East Village so that people can tailgate before a baseball game is simply preposterous.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 pm Leaving parking lots in the East Village so that people can tailgate before a baseball game is simply preposterous.
Agreed…literally the ONLY reason KC does this at Royals game is because there’s *nothing* to do outside Kauffman Stadium except sit in a lawn chair. Nothing. When you go downtown, you don’t provide space for tailgating because you want them going into restaurants and stores, not lawn chairs.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:47 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:20 pm What's funny is Harlem would be one of the few sites to get a true downtown outfield view that everyone desperately wants.
Can’t face the stadium south though…
You really just can't face it west. I realize Harlem is a joke suggestion, but I guess I was curious anyway, so here is a (very crude) approximation of the kind of view you might get if you put the stadium in Harlem at about the same southeastward orientation as Comerica Park in Detroit (which, I think, is the southernmost-oriented stadium in MLB):

The skyline isn't going to be centered on the outfield, but it's much more of a view than you're going to get from any permissible orientation in the East Village or Vine. You might be able to get better views at the other two sites noted in that infographic that Grid posted a few pages back. One of those sites was directly east of Sprint Center, from which you could get some downtown views with a northwestward orientation, but not sure how far west you'd be allowed to go with it (Minute Maid faces northwest but is pretty enclosed and has a retractable roof; if we had to include those features to control shadows, they'd probably block much of the view too). As Grid pointed out himself in that post, if you just face north (or the standard northeast), your view is going to be dominated mainly by the federal building. The other site was northwest of 8th and Main, so with a southeastern orientation, you'd have the heart of downtown just beyond center and right fields. But as somebody not really following the new stadium conversation outside of this thread, that infographic is literally the only time I've heard either of those sites floated, so I don't know how seriously to take either of them (more seriously than Harlem, I guess?).
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The indoor tailgate concept hasn't exactly been the smashing success at SKC. Most still prefer the regular one in the lots.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:37 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:20 pm Rethink the tailgate. Provide grills and benches in a designated area. People bring their coolers.

I dont like the idea but I'm sure whoever is in charge is thinking $$$$$ they can charge for folks to use that space. Since KC is the tailgate capital it makes sense.
The reason KC is the “tailgate capital” is because we’re the last city in the entire country that hasn’t been able to put even one of its stadiums downtown, or anywhere near where people can use entertainment/food before a game. It’s pathetic how backwards KC has been on its stadium usage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It’s pathetic how backwards KC has been on its stadium usage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMkZ3GY8PKY
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was joking. I'm actually quite surprised such a parking lot exist in San Diego. That lot is huge and the area around Petc has been built up with dozens of buildings.

Speaking of that. It would be nice if KC saw a ton of new apartment towers around a stadium, but do people honestly think KC would even see a fraction of is around Petco? Downtown KC basically has one tower crane up at any given time. It would take 200 years to build what San Diego did in 10 years. All I'm saying is you can't count on that. Sprint Center is still surrounded by a ton of underutilized land.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:11 pm

I was joking. I'm actually quite surprised such a parking lot exist in San Diego. That lot is huge and the area around Petc has been built up with dozens of buildings.

Speaking of that. It would be nice if KC saw a ton of new apartment towers around a stadium, but do people honestly think KC would even see a fraction of is around Petco? Downtown KC basically has one tower crane up at any given time. It would take 200 years to build what San Diego did in 10 years. All I'm saying is you can't count on that. Sprint Center is still surrounded by a ton of underutilized land.
If we even get a fraction, I'd be happy. And I think over time yes we can get in that range.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Ppl love to tailgate because they control the experience: menu, beverages, etc. Plus it’s way cheaper than drinking & eating inside the stadium or bar. I get that some ppl don’t care about it but it’s always nice to have an option. I’d love to bars close by for a drink before and after. But I’d also like to tailgate. I mean I’ve gone to many a weeknight game where me & friends grab some Bryant’s to go & eat it in the parking lot splitting a 12 pack before we head in. I’d be able to adjust if it was not there but always nice to have options.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It depends how it’s built. You’re right about sprint center, but cordish is following through with their plan successfully, even if we all have quibbles. I think it’s fair to say they’ll have successfully developed their area of Truman.

I don’t love the words master plan, but I think the lesson is to make sure land is up for development with an idea of what is expected by land owners. Basically get control of the area.

We bitch a bit about portkc at the river and cordish, but at least they’re accomplishing things. Compare that to van trust in east village.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:33 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:01 pm
Goonies wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:37 am

I dont like the idea but I'm sure whoever is in charge is thinking $$$$$ they can charge for folks to use that space. Since KC is the tailgate capital it makes sense.
The reason KC is the “tailgate capital” is because we’re the last city in the entire country that hasn’t been able to put even one of its stadiums downtown, or anywhere near where people can use entertainment/food before a game. It’s pathetic how backwards KC has been on its stadium usage.
Partially true but KC loves its bbq/grilling it's not a terrible idea to have a designated tailgate area.
For Chiefs yes. For Royals, it’s just something because there are no other options.

Sure there will be a small segment who actually want to tailgate a downtown Royals, but it’s small enough that we should just breeze by it and not worry about it.

In other words, I don’t think anyone is gonna vote “No” on the stadium because they can’t tailgate a baseball game.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:35 pm

It depends how it’s built. You’re right about sprint center, but cordish is following through with their plan successfully, even if we all have quibbles. I think it’s fair to say they’ll have successfully developed their area of Truman.

I don’t love the words master plan, but I think the lesson is to make sure land is up for development with an idea of what is expected by land owners. Basically get control of the area.

We bitch a bit about portkc at the river and cordish, but at least they’re accomplishing things. Compare that to van trust in east village.
I don't bitch about Cordish. Okay, I do wish they would do more to make their towers better contrast to each other and wish they were a bit taller in proportion to the garages they sit on. But beggars can't be choosers. Cordish is still the only developer that has put up actual high rise apartment towers in downtown. I know a couple of midrises have gone up in crossroads too, but Cordish remains the only true big time developer in KC. I am thankful for their commitment to Downtown KC. They really have stayed with their plan and developed a huge part of downtown. I'm not even sure where downtown KC would be today without Cordish. Probably far from the success story it is now.

But that doesn't mean anything substantial will happen organically near a baseball stadium. I think it's going to take a huge amount of effort just to keep massive areas surrounding the stadium from remaining or becoming parking lots.

So for that reason, I agree. There needs to be a master plan that is aggressively implemented and it will require a ton of incentives. That's why I say a stadium can't be funded by a tax district, because nearly everything else that will be built in the same district will need incentives too.

Is KCMO ready for such a large project? I mean to do this right, it will dwarf the P&L district in both public funding and private investment.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I mean to do this right, it will dwarf the P&L district in both public funding and private investment.
Good. Shoot for the moon on this.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

CitySceneKC said today the buzz going around is the Royals want to include the surrounding amenities/buildings in the new stadium proposal in order to sell it to people.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:02 am CitySceneKC said today the buzz going around is the Royals want to include the surrounding amenities/buildings in the new stadium proposal in order to sell it to people.
it is almost as if some of us know what we are talking about
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:12 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:02 am CitySceneKC said today the buzz going around is the Royals want to include the surrounding amenities/buildings in the new stadium proposal in order to sell it to people.
it is almost as if some of us know what we are talking about
I never doubted it. The stadium itself is irrelevant to me, I just want the surrounding amenities. Been saying that for a while.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What does that even mean?