Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by kboish »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:37 pm I feel like this isn’t how you announce a move? Wouldn’t you want to be surrounded by all the other important people? And not when you’re ending a pathetic season?

There was a really damning piece out a week or so ago about how awful and behind the times the royals are.

This might be about that
Yeah, it would be surprising to make an announcement without any city or county officials in tow. I'll bet this is related to the season or personnel moves.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Per KCTV5 - Matheny is speaking to the media at 4:25 so it isn't the manager being fired.

KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:52 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:37 pm I feel like this isn’t how you announce a move? Wouldn’t you want to be surrounded by all the other important people? And not when you’re ending a pathetic season?

There was a really damning piece out a week or so ago about how awful and behind the times the royals are.

This might be about that
Speculation is either they’re firing people or it’s stadium. Or it could end up being just info about new stadium- perhaps they finally release renderings today.
Perhaps its a promotion that gets derailed by stadium rumors.

KCTV5 Link

https://www.kctv5.com/2022/09/21/royals ... ence-2-pm/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Soren Petro - “Much speculation about what today's Royals press conference will be about. I have been told by someone close to the team that it will NOT be about a downtown stadium.”
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:18 pm Per KCTV5 - Matheny is speaking to the media at 4:25 so it isn't the manager being fired.

KCDowntown
You wouldn't change his scheduled press time even if you're firing him to avoid tipping off the media
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

810 says it a change involving Dayton Moore.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Dayton fired.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Dayton fired, Piccollo promoted to head
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Good move and Dayton should walk away with nothing but respect.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

"If we do something downtown or near downtown and the Chiefs do something special here (TSC)."
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Happy DM is finally gone, but keeping/promoting Picollo is lame. Was hoping they would completely clean house this off season.

Cheers and thanks for 2014-15 Dayton, but it was well past time to part ways.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

On stadium: Sherman did say they're working with the Chiefs, and they're looking at a full-blown district and mixed uses downtown. Chiefs would then takeover the TSC it seems.

I wonder if part of this was in response Brian Platt saying they're not being transparent enough.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:39 pm On stadium: Sherman did say they're working with the Chiefs, and they're looking at a full-blown district and mixed uses downtown. Chiefs would then takeover the TSC it seems.

I wonder if part of this was in response Brian Platt saying they're not being transparent enough.
I'd love to know where they squeeze in a stadium and a district/additional mixed uses downtown.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:37 pm Happy DM is finally gone, but keeping/promoting Picollo is lame. Was hoping they would completely clean house this off season.

Cheers and thanks for 2014-15 Dayton, but it was well past time to part ways.
My guess is Piccollo fires the coaching staff and minor league coaches in offseason
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I tried to get John Sherman's answer about what's going on with the stadium verbatim from the press conference...

Blair Kerkhoff (KC Star): "Before taking questions you mentioned the stadium, the downtown stadium, I just wonder if you could bring us up-to-date on any developments there."

John Sherman: "Um well, I talked about I guess a couple of things. I would just tell you that we are working. We've got a great team assigned to that. We're working with the Chiefs. Um, we're working with Jackson County. Uh, we have a group to think about what a solution would be for this, you know, two stadium complex out here. When I think about, you know, the stadium, people ask me this a lot, but really, and maybe I've said this to this group before - but it's really about much more than a stadium. We're really talking about a ballpark district and all that comes with it and all of the things around it and the neighborhoods and jobs and more public transportation options. And I think of it really in a bigger context for Kansas City - in that - and I don't mean to get off and get too broad here, but you know we're going to have a new airport. We're going to have the NFL draft. We're going to have a women's soccer stadium downtown. We're going to have the World Cup, and I think if you can dream a little bit (and I'm looking at some people who work on this). You gotta do more than dream. There's a lot of legwork to be done to finance this and build support for it. But if we do something, you know, downtown or near downtown and the Chiefs do something really special out here, these are the type of catalytic events that can really transform a region. So, I think about it from that perspective. We have our part of it and I'm not predicting all those things. Although there's a couple of them. The airport, the World Cup, the NFL draft, but I think we can play a big part in these - these franchises are incredibly important to the communities they are in. I think in a city like this, even more so. And so, we certainly want to play a part of that. I think the other thing, you think about the World Cup. But you know, the other, I think all of the other winners are in the top 14 metropolitan areas in the United States, we're 31. And so I, if you think about World Cup and what we can do around it to enhance it. Kansas City stands to gain more than anyone from the World Cup, and certainly more than just late June to late July of 2026.

In my opinion his answer supports that the Royals are thinking the following:
  • A large multi-block plan that is more than just a stadium plopped onto the grid somewhere
  • Some public financing is going to be part of it
  • They want it done by 2026
  • They are thinking big, possibly using the stadium district as a watch site for the World Cup
  • A public vote including the both the Royals and Chiefs
I have a hard time figuring out how public transportation is going to be a part of the plan, but maybe this catalytic 'dream' includes a rail/streetcar line to TSC as well as a stop at the new stadium whether its EV, Jail, 18th & Vine.

KCDowntown
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

At this point, very hard to believe anything Royals will be ready for visitors by FIFA2026. I also don't see them attempting to host watch parties as that would just be bad partnership management on their end.

From my info, 18th and Vine is out, EV, East Crossroads most discussed and the occasional mention of the jail site.

EV lends itself to a baseball district the easiest.

Like I've said from the start, they want to own and operate all of it. Baseball, retail, housing and the whole deal.

What's blatantly clear is they did the engineering survey just to put together some numbers but they already know those numbers won't be worth a rehab to the K and the business side of baseball won't be improved by a renovation of the K.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't think they're going to be done by summer 2026- however- I think they'll be well underway by then. Maybe close to being built. It sounds like Sherman is envisioning towers and bars with this stadium. I support the E Crossroads site.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Crossroads should maintain its presence as KC's 'creative' district, even if becoming more commercial over time. The two E Loop possibilities make most sense for stadium at this point.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:32 pm I tried to get John Sherman's answer about what's going on with the stadium verbatim from the press conference...

Blair Kerkhoff (KC Star): "Before taking questions you mentioned the stadium, the downtown stadium, I just wonder if you could bring us up-to-date on any developments there."

John Sherman: "Um well, I talked about I guess a couple of things. I would just tell you that we are working. We've got a great team assigned to that. We're working with the Chiefs.

Um, we're working with Jackson County. Uh, we have a group to think about what a solution would be for this, you know, two stadium complex out here.

When I think about, you know, the stadium, people ask me this a lot, but really, and maybe I've said this to this group before - but it's really about much more than a stadium.

We're really talking about a ballpark district and all that comes with it and all of the things around it and the neighborhoods and jobs and more public transportation options.

And I think of it really in a bigger context for Kansas City - in that - and I don't mean to get off and get too broad here, but you know we're going to have a new airport. We're going to have the NFL draft. We're going to have a women's soccer stadium downtown. We're going to have the World Cup, and I think if you can dream a little bit (and I'm looking at some people who work on this). You gotta do more than dream. There's a lot of legwork to be done to finance this and build support for it.

But if we do something, you know, downtown or near downtown and the Chiefs do something really special out here, these are the type of catalytic events that can really transform a region.

So, I think about it from that perspective. We have our part of it and I'm not predicting all those things. Although there's a couple of them. The airport, the World Cup, the NFL draft, but I think we can play a big part in these - these franchises are incredibly important to the communities they are in.

I think in a city like this, even more so. And so, we certainly want to play a part of that. I think the other thing, you think about the World Cup. But you know, the other, I think all of the other winners are in the top 14 metropolitan areas in the United States, we're 31.

And so I, if you think about World Cup and what we can do around it to enhance it. Kansas City stands to gain more than anyone from the World Cup, and certainly more than just late June to late July of 2026.

In my opinion his answer supports that the Royals are thinking the following:
  • A large multi-block plan that is more than just a stadium plopped onto the grid somewhere
  • Some public financing is going to be part of it
  • They want it done by 2026
  • They are thinking big, possibly using the stadium district as a watch site for the World Cup
  • A public vote including the both the Royals and Chiefs
I have a hard time figuring out how public transportation is going to be a part of the plan, but maybe this catalytic 'dream' includes a rail/streetcar line to TSC as well as a stop at the new stadium whether its EV, Jail, 18th & Vine.

KCDowntown
I tried to make that readable
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:28 pm I tried to make that readable
Thanks - that's a big improvement.

KCDowntown