Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
glacier890
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by glacier890 »

When we talk about East Village, isn't that close to a few shelters and resources for the homeless? Would that pose any issue for trying to develop anything eastward? Obviously you don't want to screw over the homeless so I wonder how they would work around that.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So do we think the Royals are going to announce their intention to move this year?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:15 pm So do we think the Royals are going to announce their intention to move this year?
I'd bet 2023

More time for people to get used to the idea, studies to be done & understanding of the new CBA landscape. Also having new potential stars playing for the team will hopefully help
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^They need to announce if intending to move OR not this year so that it can free up locked down properties for other development if no plans to move.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m only for an 18th and Vine stadium location of the Royals change their name to the Monarchs. That and a huge new NLBM might actually be a huge visitor attractor and actually bring some businesses to town that want to build equity into their brand.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:33 am I’m only for an 18th and Bine stadium location of the Royals change their name to the Monarchs. That and a huge new NLBM might actually be a huge visitor attractor and actually bring some businesses to town that want to build equity into their brand.
Can't imagine the Royals changing their name. To anything else but especially not to the Monarchs given the T-Bones just changed their name to the Monarchs.

If I were a betting man I'd still say East Village will be the site. But 18th and Vine + a dedicated public transit system to the area would be neat
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Letting the tbones take the monarch’s name is a decision I’ll never understand.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:59 am Letting the tbones take the monarch’s name is a decision I’ll never understand.
NLBM controls the name and can take it back whenever they want.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:44 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:33 am I’m only for an 18th and Bine stadium location of the Royals change their name to the Monarchs. That and a huge new NLBM might actually be a huge visitor attractor and actually bring some businesses to town that want to build equity into their brand.
Can't imagine the Royals changing their name. To anything else but especially not to the Monarchs given the T-Bones just changed their name to the Monarchs.

If I were a betting man I'd still say East Village will be the site. But 18th and Vine + a dedicated public transit system to the area would be neat
I’m in Denver right now with friend and we’re checking out Rockies stadium downtown. We were discussing Royals going downtown and he says “well ours won’t even really be downtown if they want to just stick it at 18th & Vine”.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:50 pm I’m in Denver right now with friend and we’re checking out Rockies stadium downtown. We were discussing Royals going downtown and he says “well ours won’t even really be downtown if they want to just stick it at 18th & Vine”.
I've been a proponent of putting the stadium inside the loop, preferably in East Village. Here, as a devil's advocate, is one reason why 18th and Vine could be beneficial. Companies are looking to market themselves towards social conscious consumers. They want to be seen as benefiting all demographics. This is why money flowed to BLM during the summer protests, why corporations are looking to put different demographics on their boards and partner with individuals who have standing in different groups. If you're a large corporate player on the East or West coast who wants to put a regional HQ in the Midwest where would you do it? St. Louis where Ferguson riots and a white couple with guns on their front lawn is the last news you've heard from the city? Minneapolis with George Floyd? Dallas? Kansas City with a good face in Patrick Mahomes and a new Monarchs stadium in 18th and Vine with a massively increased NLBM might make a good play for the new business.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Goonies wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:46 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:33 am I’m only for an 18th and Vine stadium location of the Royals change their name to the Monarchs. That and a huge new NLBM might actually be a huge visitor attractor and actually bring some businesses to town that want to build equity into their brand.
This is a really dumb idea
You hate everything, so I’m not offended. Rage on!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Also would like to report out of Denver that we should try to make the new Kauffman more like Coors Field area than the Busch Stadium or Cleveland arrangement.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:00 pm Also would like to report out of Denver that we should try to make the new Kauffman more like Coors Field area than the Busch Stadium or Cleveland arrangement.
Users don't really get a choice, which is why you should be careful what you wish for.

Can't even get a single working water fountain at the new KCI for over a billion dollars worth of investment.. LOL
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:17 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:00 pm Also would like to report out of Denver that we should try to make the new Kauffman more like Coors Field area than the Busch Stadium or Cleveland arrangement.
Users don't really get a choice, which is why you should be careful what you wish for.

Can't even get a single working water fountain at the new KCI for over a billion dollars worth of investment.. LOL
I actually trust Sherman (I think) because he’s got alot of downtown KC support connections and he doesn’t strike me as a bastard.

It was pretty clear to me that the “greedy” position was to be like David Glass and do nothing with the stadium. If he still owned the team right now I don’t think we’d even really discuss going downtown seriously. John Sherman is actually willing to take a risk and partially change the culture of the city.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I used to live next to the east village and I think people massively overestimate how connected it is to downtown proper. Like if you get off at the streetcar you’re walking up a hell of a hill and then you hit the government district which is dead and can’t be developed. You have the federal reserve bomb shelter garage. As someone that walked that every day, I’m not sure I see what other people see.

I’ve changed my mind here because I think there is more development opportunity in the east crossroads and 18th and vine.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:17 am I used to live next to the east village and I think people massively overestimate how connected it is to downtown proper. Like if you get off at the streetcar you’re walking up a hell of a hill and then you hit the government district which is dead and can’t be developed. You have the federal reserve bomb shelter garage. As someone that walked that every day, I’m not sure I see what other people see.

I’ve changed my mind here because I think there is more development opportunity in the east crossroads and 18th and vine.
Depending on where it's at it at East crossroads it could work, also I like the north loop area.

Also if a baseball stadium can't get the EV corridor developed then that's a serious problem. However I walked the route from the proposed stadium site to P&L and I think alot of it could still be developed. Mostly the ground floor of existing buildings and some infill.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Put the baseball park by the baseball museum. I can’t think of a better location. Everyone loves the negro leagues museum. I’ve literally never heard a negative thing about it, and it seems to be getting more and more publicity every year. Turning 18th and vine into the entertainment district for a stadium seems obvious to me
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Royals Review did a survey this week of 726 responses asking about the downtown stadium. Keep in mind these are hardcore Royals fans, not the general public.

Stay- 50.7%
Move- 33.7%
Unsure- 15.6%

This was actually a lot better than I thought. I was expecting amongst the hardcore fans for it to be like 15-20%. I think if even the hardcore fans are already at 1/3rd with room to grow, then they can get the support they need over time with the overall public.
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:54 am Put the baseball park by the baseball museum. I can’t think of a better location. Everyone loves the negro leagues museum. I’ve literally never heard a negative thing about it, and it seems to be getting more and more publicity every year. Turning 18th and vine into the entertainment district for a stadium seems obvious to me
This time it will totally work out better than old municipal stadium, because racism isn’t a thing anymore.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

CorneliusFB wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:12 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:54 am Put the baseball park by the baseball museum. I can’t think of a better location. Everyone loves the negro leagues museum. I’ve literally never heard a negative thing about it, and it seems to be getting more and more publicity every year. Turning 18th and vine into the entertainment district for a stadium seems obvious to me
This time it will totally work out better than old municipal stadium, because racism isn’t a thing anymore.
There was a public lynching just the other day. It's a shame nothing has changed.