Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by im2kull »

KCDowntown wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:31 pm Seeing those pictures of all those great buildings is tugging on the heartstrings - thanks for taking the time to post all of those Critical_Mass.
I have yet to see an accurate depiction of what the view from behind home plate (and for most of the stadium seating) would look like and I'm tired of the misleading skyline views, so here's an ACTUAL image of what the view from behind home plate, facing NE, would ACTUALLY look like. Stadiums have structure, and you can't magically look through seats and steel structure to view downtown to the West. If you think you'd somehow have a magical view of DT to the West from this NE corner of the crossroads proposal.. you are being oversold and lied to. THIS is what your view would be from the NE looking NE. There's also virtually no chance of high-rise development anywhere that the interstate loop is situated, and the East loop isn't changing anytime in the next 20+ years. So this view is THE view you would have for the entire lifespan of the stadium. Keep that in mind.

upload your photo
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:14 pm The rag in a nutshell!

Earthling - Hates the cordish glass wall.
TLG - Prefers older architecture and is opposed to demolishing most everything. Literally gets hives after reading anything I post. Thinks I'm a monster for downtown but probably has enjoyed several projects I've been apart of.
FANG - Intelligent person with solid input and is highly environmentally conscious. Obsessed with Timber Frame high-rise construction!
Normalthings - Very tuned into downtown permitting and another intelligent poster on here
AlkallAxel - Obsessed with removal of surface parking lots! Love your passion for downtown and that you're highly active on here.
KCP - Old head who loves to disagree with anything I say just to do so! Probably a person I'd love having a beer with.
KCDowntown - Smart input and so much better than me at laying out his arguments and never goes personal.
Mean - Is mean
DColeKC - KCRag villain who gets shit about his opinions despite being a downtown resident and tax payer like all the rest. Doesn't work for Cordish but people don't understand that. Tries to offer up as much info as possible without divulging private information. Takes valid opinions from members of this board to contacts for consideration. Thinks TLG is a prick.
Im2kull - ?????

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:35 am
im2kull wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:13 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 pm
Limited knowledge on the building but I don't think that's the case. From reading about the building and tech, Long lines...
So as space freed up in the facility I'm sure they started leasing space to other companies to house telecom and data equipment since the building is perfect for this. Just like the same type of building does in NYC, including the NSA.
The LL function was basically just the rooftop array.. which has been long gone. I doubt you even remember it at this point. Normalthings is correct.. that building has more to do with being the central tying point for everything coming into and out of the midwest. It's about connections. Not server space.
Wish I could find more info on it, sounds like something I'd find interesting.
Start by reading about the Nashville bombing. It occurred there for a reason, and it wasn't because of the incorrect, but popular assertion that the restaurants and retail stores were the target. That is laughable. The bomber was a former ATT employee, with great knowledge of the building. The LL building was the target, and the bombing was pretty successful as it interrupted communications services across the US for a few weeks. Unfortunately, the images used to describe the bombing are all those of the destroyed restaurant block across the street. This is of course intentional, as its best to minimize the importance of the LL buildings located in the heart of every major American city. They are still very important and relevant to our national communication system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Nashville_bombing
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The East Crossroads idea is ludicrous. If we are demolishing existing structures it should be the old county jail and the fletcher building. Keep it real due to baseballs NE facing requirements there will never be a great downtown view without building on Broadway. I think the way the stadium ties into the existing neighborhoods is the absolute most important thing. We have lost enough in this city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:33 am These blocks have dozens of these buildings "worth considering"
Stadiums just do not do that on their own like that .

A stadium would likely not help that area much at all.
Your second question is already answered by your own statement. Stadiums don't do it. I don't want a stadium that's empty 80% of the year tearing down blocks of established buildings and development

EV can utilize parking and is close enough to p and l. It can aslo utilize highways better. Also equal distance from a streetcar stop as the crossroads site.

I'd be good with the jail site if it can fit there too.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:42 pm
KCDowntown wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:31 pm Seeing those pictures of all those great buildings is tugging on the heartstrings - thanks for taking the time to post all of those Critical_Mass.
I have yet to see an accurate depiction of what the view from behind home plate (and for most of the stadium seating) would look like and I'm tired of the misleading skyline views, so here's an ACTUAL image of what the view from behind home plate, facing NE, would ACTUALLY look like. Stadiums have structure, and you can't magically look through seats and steel structure to view downtown to the West. If you think you'd somehow have a magical view of DT to the West from this NE corner of the crossroads proposal.. you are being oversold and lied to. THIS is what your view would be from the NE looking NE. There's also virtually no chance of high-rise development anywhere that the interstate loop is situated, and the East loop isn't changing anytime in the next 20+ years. So this view is THE view you would have for the entire lifespan of the stadium. Keep that in mind.

upload your photo
This is true if they actually follow the mlb rule by the book but they won’t. There’s a rendering I’ve seen showing a slight nw orientation through centerfield.

The rule dictating a ne orientation was made when stadiums didn’t have lights. It’s still the ideal situation but not a sure thing.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:33 am These blocks have dozens of these buildings "worth considering"
No they don’t. Unless you’re factoring in sentimental value.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The freaking view is meaningless for site location. It's ridiculous to even discuss.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:29 pm

I'm factoring in what the whole point of living in an urban environment even means. We have torn down enough of downtown . It's enough. We have space to utilize already to not tear down more of our city .

You don't care. We get it. You are pro big developers getting what they want. We aren't all of that opinion. If you want to make money off our neighborhood listen to the neighbors.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:30 pm The freaking view is meaningless for site location. It's ridiculous to even discuss.
Yeah. How many stadium projects you been apart of? How many walk throughs have you been on? The fact you think considering the view is meaningless tells me all I need to know.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:33 pm

I'm factoring in what the whole point of living in an urban environment even means. We have torn down enough of downtown . It's enough. We have space to utilize already to not tear down more of our city .

You don't care. We get it. You are pro big developers getting what they want. We aren't all of that opinion. If you want to make money off our neighborhood listen to the neighbors.
I’m pro what’s best for all of downtown and the city, not just your neighborhood. A failed stadium location will do much more damage than demolishing the U-Haul building.

I don’t want to make any money off your neighborhood.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:33 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:30 pm The freaking view is meaningless for site location. It's ridiculous to even discuss.
Yeah. How many stadium projects you been apart of? How many walk throughs have you been on? The fact you think considering the view is meaningless tells me all I need to know.
Other than being rude I'm not sure the point of this post.

We are plotting out what is best for downtown as a whole. The view of the outfield has zero impact on that goal. Zero.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:33 pm

I’m pro what’s best for all of downtown and the city, not just your neighborhood. A failed stadium location will do much more damage than demolishing the U-Haul building.

I don’t want to make any money off your neighborhood.
No location being discussed will be a failed location. This is all about minimizing the destruction of more of our city. Keep knocking it down might as well turn it into 13th and nall.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:40 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:33 pm
Other than being rude I'm not sure the point of this post.

We are plotting out what is best for downtown as a whole. The view of the outfield has zero impact on that goal. Zero.
Point is the people investing the money and designing stadiums consider the views from the stadium out. You say it’s meaningless which can’t be further from the truth.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Again the point of these posts is what works best for our downtown as a whole. You've stated that many times. The view does not impact that goal at all.

I'm well aware people care about the views. It meaningless to what we are focusing on here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:49 pm

I'm well aware people care about the views. It meaningless to what we are focusing on here.
To you. Unless you speak for everyone on here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My man YOU keep talking best location for success and failed locations and how you care about what works for downtown as a whole. I agree those are what we should be focusing on. The view does not factor into that topic.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:42 pm So this view is THE view you would have for the entire lifespan of the stadium. Keep that in mind.

upload your photo
*Unless they decide to build a couple towers behind this new stadium site…
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TIL; You can access all of the KC Business Journal with your KCPL card.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:54 pm My man YOU keep talking best location for success and failed locations and how you care about what works for downtown as a whole. I agree those are what we should be focusing on. The view does not factor into that topic.
View and location are kind of synonymous. I’m only saying that if two sites are equal in every category and it comes down to views, the better one wins. Likely more important in this market knowing what royals fans have had to look out to over the last several decades has been abysmal.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

One thing here I've noticed is that basically everyone agree's on the Jail Site being the best spot.

Why the hell isn't this being considered by the Royals? Why are they circling every site but the most obvious one...