Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by normalthings »

Ownerships plan is the most real and important
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:04 pm -This site would prevent many more buildings from having to be tore down in their more eastern Crossroads location
As would every other site. And the other sites would tear down less buildings.
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:04 pm -This site would enhand the buildings on the west side of Grand, and frankly all of the Crossroads
Why do you value the Crossroads over the CBD/River Market or south Crossroads/Crown Center/Union Station?
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:04 pm -The site is even closer to P&L, the cap & the streetcar than any other
Why do you value the cap over anything else downtown? And WSP and North Loop would literally have streetcar stops be part of the stadium grounds.
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:04 pm -I think this site would procure the best views
Hard disagree. That AT&T building is the ugliest building downtown IMO and it would be just beyond center field and would dominate the view. The view from WSP would be epic.
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:04 pm -This site should spur the highest amount of surface lot removal of any in the Crossroads, because it's closest to the middle of it & the streetcar, which create alot of dense walking
If you think a stadium is going to lead to surface lot removal, you're out of your mind (beyond what will be cleared for the stadium itself). Tear downs for new surface lots are way more likely. The value of parking goes up exponentially as you get closer to a stadium. For residential or office use, there's very limited, if not negative, benefit to being close to a stadium.
Last edited by TheBigChuckbowski on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Man I really wish they could pull off Washington Sq Park. That would be amazing.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:02 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:40 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:06 pm
It's interesting I've only seen two renderings prepared by architects and EV location wasn't one of them.
Populous has prepared EV renderings.

I have no idea where things are now but that site has been looked at by the Ownership group
For sure, I know it's been the most talked about location by ownership but I've only seen 2 renderings recently with the most recent one being the jail site. You have 3 main groups likely pushing different locations. Ownership, local government and invested 3rd party made up of existing development groups.
Is there any spin-off/towers are they including in Jail Site?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A tower is taller than it is wide. Since there has not been any tower built in KC this century, then I would guess not.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Here's a sign pointing to EV...

BizJournal article saying city is executing a compensation agreement with VanTrust to demolish remaining properties on all the land they own in the EV. Includes Della Lamb school, Wiltshire Apartments, Blackstone Apartments, and a "northern" garage that I can't figure out the location of.

Link to article.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd say that's a pretty good sign for EV.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:13 pm Ownerships plan is the most real and important
All renderings I've seen were commissioned by ownership or interested parties involved with ownership. From what I've just learned, EV is default location because it's easiest to get done but a few other sites mentioned here and being considered. EV isn't the sexy pick but KC often settles for less.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Who is unilaterally deciding what the sexy pick is? Knocking down a part of a growing and vibrant neighborhood is not sexy
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:21 pm I'd say that's a pretty good sign for EV.
I don't see this as any indication for EV being a lock for the stadium. They need to do this as part of the agreement before getting started on any form of new development. This could be a move on their part to make a deal more attractive to Royals ownership but they don't solely have enough land for the stadium. They do have most of it though!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:25 pm Who is unilaterally deciding what the sexy pick is? Knocking down a part of a growing and vibrant neighborhood is not sexy
A group of professionals who do this type of thing. Can we stop pretending that the section of crossroads being considered is "vibrant". It's not. It's a dead zone almost anytime you walk in the area and is a piss poor representation of crossroads as a whole. I drive in that area all the time and I barely see any human beings outside unless you're talking about firestone employees moving cars in and out or U-Haul guests picking up trucks.

Buildings don't make neighborhoods vibrant alone.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Are they looking at the Grand-Oak + demolish KC Star stadium site...or just the larger one that goes to Cherry?

Because one would be amazing, and the other would be stupid.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok "group of professionals" explain why this that crossroads location is the sexy pick. Nothing like talking down to those who have a differing opinion of what's best for the neighborhood we actually live in but please, let us know.

"We know what's best" - Designers of the highway loop among others who have come in to make downtown 'better"
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:36 pm ok "group of professionals" explain why this that crossroads location is the sexy pick. Nothing like talking down to those who have a differing opinion of what's best for the neighborhood we actually live in but please, let us know.

"We know what's best" - Designers of the highway loop among others who have come in to make downtown 'better"
You're clearly thinking of YOUR neighborhood and not what's best for all of downtown. Understandable but not a realistic approach. Of course with the city heavily involved all neighborhoods impacted will be considered. It's not like they have total disregard for existing buildings, business's and residents.

Don't compare traffic engineers to those making these decisions. It's not even a close comparison. These people have done projects that require demolishing buildings both blighted and in-use. They know the battle it is and the sensitive nature of the project.

I'm on here as an outlet so I'm not as PC as I'd be at a public town hall. I'm also being blunt and not trying to sway votes or sell any one location. Like I said, I have fun no matter where it goes. I'm excited to get to the next step soon.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"You have the people behind the decisions who obviously care about the revenue side of things and want the best location that ensures the best opportunity to generate revenue."

What's the replacement for lost parking revenue? A parking structure controlled by the team?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:48 pm "You have the people behind the decisions who obviously care about the revenue side of things and want the best location that ensures the best opportunity to generate revenue."

What's the replacement for lost parking revenue? A parking structure controlled by the team?
They're going into this with the idea they control all major revenue generators. Parking structures will be required regardless of location and yes, they'll want to control them. We will always have the need for surface parking lots downtown as much as we all hate them.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:22 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:13 pm Ownerships plan is the most real and important
All renderings I've seen were commissioned by ownership or interested parties involved with ownership. From what I've just learned, EV is default location because it's easiest to get done but a few other sites mentioned here and being considered. EV isn't the sexy pick but KC often settles for less.
Curious, is the EV site considered the cheapest to build a stadium on? Plus I would guess more cleared land available for development and a likely parking garage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:36 pm ok "group of professionals" explain why this that crossroads location is the sexy pick. Nothing like talking down to those who have a differing opinion of what's best for the neighborhood we actually live in but please, let us know.

You're clearly thinking of YOUR neighborhood and not what's best for all of downtown. Understandable but not a realistic approach. Of course with the city heavily involved all neighborhoods impacted will be considered. It's not like they have total disregard for existing buildings, business's and residents.

Don't compare traffic engineers to those making these decisions. It's not even a close comparison. These people have done projects that require demolishing buildings both blighted and in-use. They know the battle it is and the sensitive nature of the project.

I'm on here as an outlet so I'm not as PC as I'd be at a public town hall. I'm also being blunt and not trying to sway votes or sell any one location. Like I said, I have fun no matter where it goes. I'm excited to get to the next step soon.
Your single factor as far as I can tell is "what is closest to Cordish". you've provided no other information or factors that make the east crossroads the sexy location. I asked you to list those and your response completely avoided the question.

You can't even state who you are referring to as "those" making this decision. I mean what is the point of these posts?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This is what I'm thinking of with the Grand to Oak St, Truman to 17th St + demo the KC Star. We could have an urban environment in the realm of Wrigley & Fenway.

North side: South Loop cap
West & East side: urban roadways/roadsides
South side: cool urban alley

The only comps for a stadium with 360 urbanism like this are Wrigley & Fenway. Take a look at what we could have.

Wrigley Field alley outside the left field & Grand Ave in KC

^Grand Ave, right side would be outside the left of our stadium: Could be very similar to Wrigley's roadway with urban setting

Fenway Park alley & our alley here on 17th St- would be behind our home plate

^Would be behind Royals home plate/left field looking both ways. Could be amazing. Obviously take out the green Star building and think of a stadium here instead.

My point here is to show the similarities between the greatest urban parks in this country & what we could have here in the Crossroads Grand-Oak site. This is a visual of what it could look like. It would take out only McGee, the Star building & those buildings on the east side of Grand.

I think this stadium would be of the top 3 most urban fabrics in the country. Imagine the fabric of new Kauffman being like Fenway with the brick. It would perfectly weave into the urban fabric of KC in a way no other city has been able to replicate in recent history.

And to be clear this is: East of Grand to West of Oak (8.8 acres) and Truman to 17th. And yes it can fit, the Twins did their stadium in an even smaller footprint.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I love the vision. Grand to Oak is simply not wide enough. It's barely wide enough to plant the actual field between those two streets.