Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

^ everyone brings up the 14th/main retail as if it’s blasphemy it hasn’t been leased. It’s the site of a future (soon) residential tower. Why would they lease it?

Remove that jab and I’m not sure why it’s a bold statement. I’m also not sure why you’re comparing my criticism of an existing tenant not using the space and not being a net positive for downtown to empty store fronts.

If you enjoy the CBE, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I just think if it went away for a baseball stadium, it would be best for downtown. I don’t think anyone will miss the corny smaller than a high school gymnasium besides the dozens and dozens of people that go there every year.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:16 pm ^ everyone brings up the 14th/main retail as if it’s blasphemy it hasn’t been leased. It’s the site of a future (soon) residential tower. Why would they lease it?
Has that been the plan for the last 15+ years?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

No it hasn't but his job is to get us to believe the excuses. Much space with typically higher vacancy than rest of downtown despite public aid rest of DT retail space never got.

Cordish truly deserves a pass given continued investments but not great vacancies given public aid.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:20 pm What does everyone suppose the timeline is on announcing an actual location?
I still bet we hear in 2023
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:36 pm No it hasn't but his job is to get us to believe the excuses. Much space with typically higher vacancy than rest of downtown despite public aid rest of DT retail space never got.

Cordish truly deserves a pass given continued investments but not great vacancies given public aid.
Def don't care if certain people believe me or not. I say what I can and what I know. I'm positive my information about this topic is accurate.

Efforts were made for several years to lease the space with no luck. The idea to put a tower there came into play about a decade ago now, so the strategy shifted at that point. I'm friends with the person who handles district leasing. I've been in her office and seen the hundreds (no sarcasm) of potential tenants she's either reached out to or have reached out to her. Many suggestions from this board have been contacted by her.

But hey, if you want to believe a landlord has just been keeping spaces empty because they can, that's cool too! They're missing out on millions of dollars of revenue with the empty spaces.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

freedog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:21 pm
Riverite wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:20 pm What does everyone suppose the timeline is on announcing an actual location?
A push is being made to get this announced this fall. If it's primarily privately funded, I could see this happening but if there's still a large portion needing public funding, it could get delayed.

Small, say 15% chance it's almost all privately funded.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think they need to just get it on the ballot this November to re-new the sales, use the next 5 months to sell it, and then privately fund the remainder.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:07 pm
freedog wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:21 pm
A push is being made to get this announced this fall. If it's primarily privately funded, I could see this happening but if there's still a large portion needing public funding, it could get delayed.

Small, say 15% chance it's almost all privately funded.
This from KC Star confirms DCole’s report that they’re looking at Fall for some announcement

“Manny Abarca, a candidate for Jackson County legislature, expects the question over whether taxpayers should subsidize a new Royals stadium to be a campaign issue this fall, if not as a ballot question then as a topic for county legislative candidates to debate.”
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Could kill two birds if there's a way to incorporate the old KC Star building into the stadium design. Royals front office space, retail, HOF and on and on for example.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm Could kill two birds if there's a way to incorporate the old KC Star building into the stadium design. Royals front office space, retail, HOF and on and on for example.
I'm not following how this fits into the comments you've made previously. Which old KC Star building?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm Could kill two birds if there's a way to incorporate the old KC Star building into the stadium design. Royals front office space, retail, HOF and on and on for example.
And wipe out four city blocks with buildings on them? No thanks
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 pm
Any historic buildings? I think knocking out several standard buildings to make use of a building you can't get rid of can make sense. Doesn't matter where it goes, some things will be torn down.

I'm sure most landlords and building owners-operators would take the payday. Just speculating here, agree there's better locations.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:03 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 pm
Any historic buildings? I think knocking out several standard buildings to make use of a building you can't get rid of can make sense. Doesn't matter where it goes, some things will be torn down.

I'm sure most landlords and building owners-operators would take the payday. Just speculating here, agree there's better locations.
I'm starting to think your idea on Grand St may be the ideal spot- since we have so many surface lots sitting open and it's just such a prime location.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:03 pmAny historic buildings? I think knocking out several standard buildings to make use of a building you can't get rid of can make sense. Doesn't matter where it goes, some things will be torn down.

I don’t care whether the buildings are historic or not; you’re destroying four city blocks with fine grained development alleyways. Traditional urbanism. Frankly I’d prefer the Star building demolished over those blocks demolished
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:11 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:03 pmAny historic buildings? I think knocking out several standard buildings to make use of a building you can't get rid of can make sense. Doesn't matter where it goes, some things will be torn down.

I don’t care whether the buildings are historic or not; you’re destroying four city blocks with fine grained development alleyways. Traditional urbanism. Frankly I’d prefer the Star building demolished over those blocks demolished
I know this is your thing and I respect that. I'm only thinking of what's best overall for the city. Pure speculation on that area being considered and was just a thought.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah just rip down the printing press. Solved
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:23 pm Yeah just rip down the printing press. Solved
Let's be honest. Whoever bought it for millions is just using it as a asset to fund other loans. It will sit forever because the space is likely screwed for most practical uses.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:23 pm Yeah just rip down the printing press. Solved
You'd still need to level all the buildings to the east and west, plus vacate McGee and Oak, and you just might have enough space for a ballpark here.
Hard pass.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:54 pm
You'd still need to level all the buildings to the east and west, plus vacate McGee and Oak, and you just might have enough space for a ballpark here.
Hard pass.
It actually checks several boxes. The printing building stays and becomes part of the new stadium design. The 4 block area isn't blighted by any means but it's also not exactly plentiful with activity. Tons of room available without taking away any major roads and you actually get the KC Skyline views looking out of the stadium from behind home plate.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:12 pmI know this is your thing and I respect that.
I would hope downtown urbanism would be your thing too, or anyone on this forum, but I guess I expect too much