Condos near Federal Reserve

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Condos near Federal Reserve

Post by kccrackednut »

Any thoughts on the condo conversion just south of the new Federal Reserve building? Looks like a very small dorm-like structure is undergoing a renovation with prices starting at $149,000.
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Condos near Federal Reserve

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Yeah it's a old folks comunity or somthing. Used to be a old hospital. There is a thread on it somewhere.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It's the former apartment building for resident docs.
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

who is the developer, why would anyone want to live in an old hospital
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Well it's actually kind of a historical hospital, using it is always much better than tearing it down.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Close to Penn Valley Park, Main street, excellent bus and street access, on the edge of Midtown (close but away from some of the riff-raf), decent views
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I believe they were billing it as an "urban john knox village".
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is NOT the old hospital.  The "Park Reserve" was the apartment building for resident doctors and their families.  The Reeder family that has been involved with developing The View on Admiral are the developers.  The hospital itself is to be converted to a retirement community in the future, but it is considered an entirely different develpment.
thedream
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by thedream »

This is the most absurd of any of the projects ever proposed for DT and they actually are working construction on it. I am baffled!

I guess my question is who wants to live in a building with it's own morgue?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

All that's left if the 1970s-era buildings of Trinity Lutheran Hospital.  The more historic turn-of-the-century building of the old St. Mary's Hospital was demolished for the Fed project, and would have made for a very interesting residential conversion.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

thedream wrote: This is the most absurd of any of the projects ever proposed for DT and they actually are working construction on it. I am baffled!

I guess my question is who wants to live in a building with it's own morgue?
I know that the building was demolished, but if it was the old St. Mary's hospital that was still standing I would have been interested in living there.  That's where I was born so it would have been pretty unique to be living there 30 years later.

:shock:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kuwolde wrote: I know that the building was demolished, but if it was the old St. Mary's hospital that was still standing I would have been interested in living there.  That's where I was born so it would have been pretty unique to be living there 30 years later.

I see dead people.  :P
There is no fifth destination.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

dangerboy wrote: All that's left if the 1970s-era buildings of Trinity Lutheran Hospital.  The more historic turn-of-the-century building of the old St. Mary's Hospital was demolished for the Fed project, and would have made for a very interesting residential conversion.
In addition to that, there is actually an older structure with nice windows and stone windowsills etc...it is obviously no newer than the 1950s and probably from the 1900s.  It is along the road that comes from 31st and ends at the liberty mem...you can see it as you are going up the steep side of the hill
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Park Reserve has the best $200,000 skyline views in the city.  They are quite small(about 800 square feet) with lots of exposed brick.  The windows are all being replace mostly with doors and balconies are being hung from the exterior.  Some tiny balconies called "cigar balconies."  The street in front is going to be reconfigured and there will be a pool serving the entire hospital redo overlooking the skyline and Fed Reserve.  The old nursing school dorm will be next to be redone with penthouse units built on top, again this building will have spectacular views comparable to Park Place.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Balconies are now attached.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kuwolde wrote: I know that the building was demolished, but if it was the old St. Mary's hospital that was still standing I would have been interested in living there.  That's where I was born so it would have been pretty unique to be living there 30 years later.

I was born there too.  Always thought it was a neat "old-school" hospital building.  Too bad it had to go, it would have made for interesting dorms for Penn Valley or apartments.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Balconies are now attached.
on which building? i'm having trouble visualizing which one. is it red brick?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

East side of Baltimore, just north of the Rehab Institute.
kuwolde
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kuwolde »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I was born there too.  Always thought it was a neat "old-school" hospital building.  Too bad it had to go, it would have made for interesting dorms for Penn Valley or apartments.
:cheers:
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

I can't believe they just got their tax abatement....a full 25 years.  WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE????