Condos near Federal Reserve

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Condos near Federal Reserves

Post by normalthings »

So 1 to 1.5 years from starting. Will open when the streetcar does if everything goes well
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm So 1 to 1.5 years from starting. Will open when the streetcar does if everything goes well
What project is this?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 pm What project is this?
It's not difficult to go back a page and see that this is referring to the Northpoint project called, "ArriveKC". I added the renderings here since I didn't see them on here before. You seem to do this often in other threads on this forum. Understand that I'm not being snarky with this post, but it's easy to just go back a page and see what we're referring to (not only in this thread, but others as well).
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:39 pm News broke of what’s planned at this site…
An incoming $122 million proposal — the largest known to date along Kansas City's southern streetcar extension — comes bundled with quality-of-life fixes for Park Reserve condominium residents that could begin later this year.

NorthPoint Development looks to fully demolish remaining undeveloped portions of the former Trinity Lutheran Hospital, which closed in 2001 and now sees regular break-ins northwest of 31st and Main streets.

In its place, the Riverside-based developer aspires to build a six-story apartment complex with 370 to 390 units. The project is tentatively named ArriveKC, an allusion to the multiple forms of transit it will complement, next to a planned streetcar stop and near four bus stops…

NorthPoint anticipates investing more than $1 million in life safety improvements in the existing condo buildings. These are expected to include fixes to rooftops and nonfunctioning elevators, potentially beginning later this year, development manager Gavin Ott said…

…Concurrent with the condo improvements, NorthPoint could start making repairs to Park Reserve's parking garage, which is to be preserved with the new proposal. The garage's 430 spaces, plus additional stalls to be built under NorthPoint's complex, are to serve existing condo and new apartment residents, as well as Ability KC's neighboring main campus and the public.

ArriveKC is one of the first two transit-oriented projects to apply for incentives through the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority's new Sustaining Transportation and Reinvesting Together (START) policy, meant to boost developments that meet transit-oriented policy goals in the authority's seven-county coverage area.

The other project is Jamestown Square, a $66.4 million, 226-unit project by Milhaus near the University of Kansas Medical Center campus.

“We want every project to not only be beneficial to its own location, but have implications on the greater passenger transportation network," Allison Bergman, a Hardwick Law Firm LLC attorney representing RideKC, said during its Wednesday meeting.

Evaluated by RideKC using START's "heat map" scorecard, both NorthPoint's and Milhaus' proposals could receive property tax exemptions up to 15 years at 75%, through Chapter 238 conduit bond issuances.

RideKC's board unanimously recommended that scoring for the two projects to KCATA's board, which on June 22 could approve resolutions of intent to issue bonds.

Contingent on coming plan approvals, Ott said NorthPoint could start demolishing the former hospital structures in early 2023 and begin mass grading for ArriveKC's new construction later that year. The complex's first units could be delivered 18 to 24 months later, coinciding with the southern streetcar's scheduled opening in early 2025.

NSPJ Architects PA will be architect for ArriveKC.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... kcata.html

We’ll see what happens. Building designs are simple and there’s a lot of parking, but it’ll be good to see that junky place go away.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Condos near Federal Reserve

Post by Cratedigger »

Is it worth renaming the thread?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:02 pm It's not difficult to go back a page and see that this is referring to the Northpoint project called,
1. Then maybe call it something other than "Condos near this location"? Alot of times the vague threads like this mention like 3-4 different recent projects (i.e. the River Market thread)

2. I did read the threads before. But I stopped doing that because it gets so annoying when half the threads are people arguing about politics or random irrelevant issues about "why KC is behind" or whatever. It's always off-topic.

So unless it's tagged with a proper name, I'm not weeding through all that mush. I love reading your posts, but that's my reasoning. Sorry.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:47 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:02 pm It's not difficult to go back a page and see that this is referring to the Northpoint project called,
1. Then maybe call it something other than "Condos near this location"? Alot of times the vague threads like this mention like 3-4 different recent projects (i.e. the River Market thread)

2. I did read the threads before. But I stopped doing that because it gets so annoying when half the threads are people arguing about politics or random irrelevant issues about "why KC is behind" or whatever. It's always off-topic.

So unless it's tagged with a proper name, I'm not weeding through all that mush. I love reading your posts, but that's my reasoning. Sorry.
This thread is named "Condos near federal reserve" because it started out that way and reflects what was going on at the time. The moderators will eventually get around to updating it. This thread though is tame, and objective compared to others.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I miss flyingembryo.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

taxi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:40 am I miss flyingembryo.
He quit after that kill thread last November
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Northpoint officially owns the property now
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hope they revamp their design to allow for street trees on the east side of Wyandotte. The Parks Department also needs to get on the ball and plant more street trees on the west side of Wyandotte.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

More important are trees on 31st. 31st from Grand to Wyandotte is a pedestrian inhospitable sun baked traffic sewer.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Bump outs and widened sidewalks on 31st will be needed. Street trees definitely should be along the entire perimeter.
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

moderne wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 pm 31st is a pedestrian inhospitable sun baked traffic sewer.
Fixed it for you. I was hoping for some added shade from Troost to Main, but the road diet info they released didn't seem to include any.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It seems to me this site could handle a lot more apartments than 390. Why not 700?

I was looking at this building, on the website of an architectural firm, The Bartlett in Pentagon City, Arlington, Virginia. This 22-story building takes a full city block, has 699 apartments, and a Whole Foods and other retail on the first floor. One of the primary selling points of this site would be the views because it's on top of a hill and bordering a park.

https://tortigallas.com/portfolio/the-bartlett

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBVE6_ymtnd/

https://arlingtonva.s3.dualstack.us-eas ... RIDGED.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8630959 ... 384!8i8192

Something like this might work on one of the parcels in Berkley Riverfront Park.

How long do you think it would take to rent out 700 apartments in KC?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:19 am It seems to me this site could handle a lot more apartments than 390. Why not 700?

Something like this might work on one of the parcels in Berkley Riverfront Park.

How long do you think it would take to rent out 700 apartments in KC?
If you put a Whole Foods on the ground floor, no time at all.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

There are a lot of reasons why not. Obviosouly different markets with different demand, growth, and wages
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I am also pretty underwhelmed with the Northpoint plan for this site. Between the size, the views, and the location on/near a new streetcar stop while also being essentially inside a large urban park, would have hoped for something larger and more ambitious. Maybe not a 700-unit, Whole Foods-hosting , rich DC burbs special like Fang posted, but something closer to that than what we appear to be getting from Northpoint.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It seems that most of the site is not being bulldozed and redeveloped. A lot of this is renovation or owned by others
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Remember that there’s still a parcel available east of Baltimore and up to Main Street that could one day be in play. But I think a problem here is that this site falls under the Main Street Overlay District, so height might be limited here to 6 floors or so.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Some plans were uploaded to Compass and give us higher quality renderings, elevations, and a site plan. It's interesting to point out how this one building will be broken up into three different designs (as seen in the elevations). While the Wyandotte and 31st Streets sides have two designs, the Baltimore side includes all three design styles. The northern side only includes one style.

I am hoping that a future phase, if there is one, on the parcel next to Main Street includes better ground level activation. For now, this is fine since it's setback from Main and includes ground floor apartments, but a future phase I'd like to see retail/restaurant space to make the area a bit more vibrant.