Strawberry Hill Renaissance

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Strawberry Hill Renaissance

Post by trailerkid »

ComandanteCero wrote: yeah, I think Then and Now has a particularly sobering picture that shows the neighborhood before and after the freeway was built.
The freeway access makes this area more commercially viable IMO. One of the most surprising things is how quickly you can go from such a nice, urban node to I-70 without much negative effect on the actual neighborhood. It's a pretty incredible location in terms of access to downtown while still being in Kansas.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not much negative effect on the actual neighborhood??!!  The freeway took half of the neighborhood!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moderne wrote: Not much negative effect on the actual neighborhood??!!  The freeway took half of the neighborhood!
I'm referring to the relationship between the existing neighborhood and the freeway. Although I don't know what the neighborhood was like before the freeway, I don't see it as a much of a disadvantage today regardless of the damage done years ago.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As prices push people out of Crossroads and downtown, could downtown KCK boom next?
While developers have spent recent years building hotels, offices and restaurants in and around downtown Kansas City, a more modest revitalization has been underway just across the river in the heart of Kansas City, Kansas.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 65552.html
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think the west bottoms is better primed for development than kck is
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Agreed, KC Star's dream of KCK is probably a long way off. First will be west bottoms
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Xroads gallery exodus has been going on for a while and they've been spreading about with no other centralized spot forming. Even Troost if I recall. I doubt there will be another single area as large as Xroads that ever forms in terms of number of galleries, just spread around.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't think it's gonna be the new crossroads but I do feel likes it a very attractive area to young professionals that want to buy a starter homes at a very affordable price. I love Strawberry Hill and would definitely consider living there. If I had just moved here and wanted to buy a house I would look all around Central Ave.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

NIMBY objection to proposed 8 story apartments at 6th & Central. This in an area that has not seen any investment in a century.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Odd if the case. I could see objections to apts plopped in the middle of single family homes but this is partially commercial.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Sunflower Development
Group, which wants to build the $41 million, 129-unit tower on an acre of land at
the corner of Sixth Street and Central Avenue. The developer sought a rezoning of
the property and an amendment to the city’s master plan.
All were approved.

Commissioners voted 8-1 when it came to all three requests.

The project, currently called 505 Central, had drawn opposition from residents of
the Strawberry Hill and Russian Hill neighborhoods, some of whom formed a
group, the ClearView Coalition, that raised concerns about the project’s height and
its impact on traffic and parking in the area.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 52867.html
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

First I heard of this project was in the Star yesterday (at least the headline, I dropped my sub since they are trash).

Listening to Community, 505 Central Proposal 1/22/2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JccKM5aCDdg

"We support density." . . . but not that kind of density! Seems like a good project and investment in an area of KCK that has not had any in decades. Hopefully they can meet some of the neighbors concerns and have the project passed. Main opponents of project live in a sfh down Hallock street, basically have a 'private culd-a-sac." Sorry, you live in a city. Also allege the project is a in "invitation to other developers to come in an take up our view." Pretty standard anti-apartment dweller slander... A lot of business also support this.
I hope it is an invitation to other developers to come in to KCK :)

https://www.change.org/p/protect-our-hi ... 9bfb76ff77
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

it's really funny because the view they are "fighting to preserve" is not of DTKC but of overgrown brush and weeds. what a joke lol
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 am
Sunflower Development
Group, which wants to build the $41 million, 129-unit tower on an acre of land at
the corner of Sixth Street and Central Avenue. The developer sought a rezoning of
All were approved.

The project, currently called 505 Central, had drawn opposition from residents of
group, the ClearView Coalition, that raised concerns about the project’s height and
Recent development to this project:
On Thursday evening, the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas unanimously approved a tax increment financing district and development agreement to build 129 apartments along Sixth Street and Central Avenue.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... roval.html
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:12 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:56 am
Sunflower Development
All were approved.

Recent development to this project:
On Thursday evening, the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas unanimously approved a tax increment financing district and development agreement to build 129 apartments along Sixth Street and Central Avenue.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... roval.html
Great news. Another L for Nimbys. Hope the final vote passes. It's an area that definitely has not had a lot of new development but many people want to live in.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I feel bad for the bi-state NIMBYs who think trying to shoot down new housing proposals will lead to more affordable housing being created and retained. Oh to have a mind full of mush and be believed by others.

But in all seriousness, it's good this one got approved. The renderings I've seen of it, and can be found, aren't bad looking at all. It's a good design that fits the site well.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It's crazy to think the heavy investment in DTKC over the last 2 decades has trickled into KCK.

i. the Strawberry Hill site
ii. the Rainbow Blvd site
iii. the 2nd, and potential 3rd, Yards project

Hopefully leasing is strong and a new era for density in her neighborhoods is coming!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Downtown KCK could be a draw for the next group of urban pioneers with tons of empty lots, cheap(ish) land and decrepit buildings. Bring on the KCMO/KCK gondola!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm all for a KCK gondola with some type of cool tower in the west bottoms as a halfway station. But the airport...
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:37 am I'm all for a KCK gondola with some type of cool tower in the west bottoms as a halfway station. But the airport...
Would definitely be down for a gondola with a tower station, would be crazy futuristic. Should try to find city land where they could request proposals to develop mixed use towers