The Dead Sea Scrolls at Union Station

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

The Dead Sea Scrolls at Union Station

Post by AllThingsKC »

These are from Sunday, May 13, 2007 - the last day the Scrolls were in town.  Of course, I couldn't take in pictures of any part of the exhibit, but I still got some Union Station shots!

What: The Dead Sea Scrolls
Where: Union Station - Kansas City, Missouri
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2007

Here are the photos I was ALLOWED to take of The Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibit:

The rest of Union Station:

The next major exhibit at Union Station, Norman Rockwell:
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: The Dead Sea Scrolls at Union Station

Post by Tosspot »

Sad to see that exhibit go.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: Sad to see that exhibit go.
Me too.  It was great to say we had it in Kansas City, and it really helped Union Station.  I don't remember the last time I saw so many people there!
KC is the way to be!
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

W :o W
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Great pics AllThingsKC. They realy bring out the beauty of this grand old building.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

great pictures but where is everyone? i assume you took this before the place opened?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

anniewarbucks wrote: Great pics AllThingsKC. They realy bring out the beauty of this grand old building.
Thanks.  Yep, it was a grand old building on a beautiful day.
LCDSI wrote: great pictures but where is everyone? i assume you took this before the place opened?
Actually, I took the pictures after the place had closed.  If you look at some of the pictures with the clock, you can see that it was after 7:00pm.  So, most of the businesses were already closed and it was the last day for the exhibit anyway.
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Scrolls exhibit adds up to a great success for Union Station

By MATT CAMPBELL
The Kansas City Star
DAVE HELLING | The Kansas City Star

The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at Union Station attracted more than 177,000 visitors over its three-month run, far exceeding expectations.
Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit earned $3 million   VIDEO
The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit was the most successful ever at Union Station, averaging nearly 2,000 visitors a day and netting nearly $3 million for the station.

The show closed Sunday and preliminary figures released today show the 90-day exhibit far exceeded projections, both in attendance and in revenue.

“A year ago we laid off almost 60 employees and a lot of people thought we were daft to try to stage this exhibit,” said Union Station CEO Andi Udris.

The success of the scroll exhibit will contribute to a projected bottom-line surplus for the station this year of nearly $137,000. It would be the first year without a deficit since the station was restored.

Project adviser Linda Segebrecht said 177,782 people saw the scrolls for an average of 1,975 per day. Union Station had budgeted for 150,000 visitors.

That makes the scrolls more popular than the Titanic exhibit a few years ago, which attracted 282,372 visitors over five months for a daily average of 1,681.

Video Here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/111490.html
KC is the way to be!
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

As far as I know, Union Station does not currently get any tax money. It is impressive that a facility of that type could break even without any tax subsidy.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

AllThingsKC wrote: Scrolls exhibit adds up to a great success for Union Station

By MATT CAMPBELL
The Kansas City Star
DAVE HELLING | The Kansas City Star

The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at Union Station attracted more than 177,000 visitors over its three-month run, far exceeding expectations.
Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit earned $3 million   VIDEO
The Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit was the most successful ever at Union Station, averaging nearly 2,000 visitors a day and netting nearly $3 million for the station.

The show closed Sunday and preliminary figures released today show the 90-day exhibit far exceeded projections, both in attendance and in revenue.

“A year ago we laid off almost 60 employees and a lot of people thought we were daft to try to stage this exhibit,” said Union Station CEO Andi Udris.

The success of the scroll exhibit will contribute to a projected bottom-line surplus for the station this year of nearly $137,000. It would be the first year without a deficit since the station was restored.

Project adviser Linda Segebrecht said 177,782 people saw the scrolls for an average of 1,975 per day. Union Station had budgeted for 150,000 visitors.

That makes the scrolls more popular than the Titanic exhibit a few years ago, which attracted 282,372 visitors over five months for a daily average of 1,681.

Video Here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/111490.html

I wonder if the Red Star will write an editorial, thanking all those Bible Bangers for going down there for this one.  Maybe living in the Belt can be good for business and Downtown.  Whoulda thunk it?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote:

I wonder if the Red Star will write an editorial, thanking all those Bible Bangers for going down there for this one.  Maybe living in the Belt can be good for business and Downtown.  Whoulda thunk it?
Hmm . . . I spoke to a few of your "bangers" who said they wouldn't dream of going because they thought the scrolls were a fraud dreamed up through a liberal conspiracy to discredit the true book.  Apparently they were of the mindset that the scrolls were manufactured in the same warehouse where they staged the moon landing and where they make the fake dinosaur bones to plant for the scientists. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Hmm . . . I spoke to a few of your "bangers" who said they wouldn't dream of going because they thought the scrolls were a fraud dreamed up through a liberal conspiracy to discredit the true book.  Apparently they were of the mindset that the scrolls were manufactured in the same warehouse where they staged the moon landing and where they make the fake dinosaur bones to plant for the scientists. 
What did the other 99.4% of the visitors have to say about the Scrolls?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin