Scarritt Renaissance Historic Homes Tour This Weekend

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Scarritt Renaissance Historic Homes Tour This Weekend

Post by Sportster »

May 19th & 20th, walk in the footsteps of Judges, Barons and Captians of early Kansas City industry at this year's Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood Association Historic Homes Tour.
Eight Historic Homes will be open to the public this weekend on Saturday from 10 am - 4 pm and Sunday noon - 4 pm.
Homes include:
3421 Gladstone Blvd. A lovely English Tudor style home built in 1933 for Dr. J. Sydney Johnson, a local Osteopath. It has been known throughout Historic Northeast for many years as the "Snow White House".

3921 Sunrise Drive. Another English Tudor sporting the original slate roof, original blueprints and an original Hare & Hare Subdivision Plat Map of the Cliff Drive Park Subdivision.

425 Gladstone Blvd. An 1888 Queen Anne built for Judge Stephen Twiss. Originally constucted as an Italianate Style Manor house, the home underwent extensive re-modeling in the early 20th century. The de-conversion from eleven apartments to the grand Queen Ane you'll see on the tour is nothing less than spectacular.

As an added bonus -
Symposiums will be held at the Kansas City Museum on both days.

10:00 am Saturday - Brad Wolff and Lon Clark will give a presentation on listing your home on the local and National Register and applying for Historic Tax Credits for your restoration project.

12 noon Saturday - David Jackson from the Jackson County Historical Society will give a presentation on restoring your Historic Home.

12 noon Sunday, Dr. William S. Worley will appear as noted Landscape Architect and principal designer of Kansas City's Parks & Boulevards system, George Kessler.

Displays will also be at the Museum detailing upcoming projects in Scarritt including the plans for a detailed information kiosk near Cliff Drive & Gladstone, Plans for the new Traffic Circle planned for the intersection of Benton & Gladstone Boulevards and Parks & Rec will have a small interpretive display on the history of Kansas City's Parks System.

Tickets for the tour are $15.00 each and can be purchased at any of the tour homes on the day of the tour. Tickets will also be available at the Kansas City Museum on both tour days.

Free transportation will be provided on both tour days as well.

For more information, see the Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood Association Web Site:
www.scarrittneighborhood.org

or call

816/483-9299 for more information.

Sportster
...hurry, hurry hurry, step right this way!  8)
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Scarritt Renaissance Historic Homes Tour This Weekend

Post by Paintfumes »

thats a fun event to go too.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I plan to make it out Sunday.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Neighborhood's all a buzz with activity - everyone getting ready for this year's tour.
Tell a friend. Tell a friend's friend.

You walkers out there - this'd be a great opportunity to walk the tour route as well as the State's only urban Scenic Byway! Cliff Drive's 2.7 mile length beckons walkers, cyclists, joggers and history buffs along its winding path, offering stunning vistas of the East Bottoms, the Missouri River and points North.

A benefit for the Scarritt Renaissance Neighbrohood Association, the tour promises to be a great success with your participation.

For more information, call 816/483-9299 or go to www.scarrittneighborhood.com and click on the "events" tab.

Sportster
...we'll see you there!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we went to the homes tour today. it was very much worth the $15 admission for eight homes. everything was run very well (shuttles, tickets, etc.). we even stopped by the museum soda fountain for phosphates and drove the entire length of cliff drive after we were done!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

A big thanks to everyone who came out and supported our Historic Homes Tour. If you were an attendee, we'd be interested in getting your feedback.
Thanks DaveKCMO!

Much appreciated.

Sportster
...spent sunday at a tudor!!
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

The wife and I made it out this afternoon, we unfortunately only made it through 5 of the 8 homes because we got out later than we hoped, but it was still well worth the price.  It's absolutely amazing what is being done in the neighborhood, and the people were great advocates for the area (including several on our tours that were from the neighborhood). Some of the originals that remain in houses that were divided into apartments were very lucky -- and to have a couple that remained single-residence were spectacular.  Outstanding tour, well done, we were impressed.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Here's a couple of my favorites.  Had an awesome time!

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I attended the tour Sunday, and let me add that it was just awesome, certainly my favorite homes tour and a great showcase event for the area.  The mixture of neighborhood dedication, history, and architecture and design that was on display was fabulous, and really provided an overview of the hood's background and the dedication on the folks whose homes were on display. 
  I do wish the tour ran until say 5 or 6, or started earlier on sunday, as we ended up getting there a bit late as well and missing two of the homes (the Sunrise Drive tudor being one, if anyone wants to share comments :) ) and some of the nearby open houses I was curious about.  Even so, this was definitely a great event, and once my rehabbing skills get up to snuff I may have to join some of you characters up in the northeast; ya'll seem like a fun bunch.  I'll also add that it would seem some additional advertisement for this thing might be beneficial, I only knew about it from this website and a prior trip, but folks around the metro interested in this kind of thing would be floored to see some of the homes on display up in Scarritt...
are we spinning free?
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

I'd love to see more pics and hear more about how great it was.  I wanted to go, but then I got wrapped up in scraping and painting my own house...but I will definitely make the next one!