Predict the "new" downtown complaints

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Predict the "new" downtown complaints

Post by KCPowercat »

I hate to be negative but I thought this would be a good time for everybody to predict what the complaints will be concerning the Power and Light District/Sprint Center/etc. from the general population.  I've got my guesses but don't want to influence the voting, so let's hear them.....

what will be the biggest complaint concerning the P&L, Sprint Center, "renewed downtown"?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Predict the "new" downtown complaints

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: what will be the biggest complaint concerning the P&L, Sprint Center, "renewed downtown"?
It's too far from where I live.

There isn't anywhere to park.

I'm worried about getting mugged by thugs.

The Sprint Center looks weird.

I don't want to drive that far back home while drunk.

(These aren't my opinions....just guessing what some suburbanites might say)
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Some of the silly surburbanites won't come downtown because they swear it's the heart of the ghetto.

It will take someone of their own kind to step up and tell them that they are clearly wrong.  :x
Hopefully the police will make a presence, because all it will take is 2 or 3 shootings and that will scare a good percentage of the joco's off and they won't come back.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

"It's just like the Plaza, only ugly."
"Too many yuppies."
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Too many rednecks

Its a fake environment.

Too many minorities.

Its all chains

Its too suburban looking.

Its not gritty enough

too many yuppies, not enough urbanites dressed in black looking down on the other visitors.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

#1 will be parking, without question. #2 will be panhandling.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Here's a quote from a guy over on a KSU board...

"Downtown KCMO has made some major improvements, but there is still a long way to go.  There are still a number of buildings and sidewalks that need to be culled and replaced.  Parking, no matter what you read is going to be a mess.  Traffic is horrible.  The designers of the Light District made a huge mistake when they did not shut down the streets.  They used an East Coast design where they left traffic lanes designed in the 1800s for horses at the same exact dimensions.  My prediction is the Light District will follow Union Station, Science City, WWI Memorial, River Quay, River Front Park, etc. as failures.  The Sprint Center will only thrive if they can get an NBA or NHL team."

He goes on to say, "have you seen The Light District?  I looks like it was designed by Paul Revere?  They took 4 square blocks and had the opportunity to do something with pedistrian and traffic flow.  They chose to make it look like a Boston or Philadelphia traffic jam.The reality of the project is the Mayor of Kansas City, Mr Funky, is already saying it is a finacial sham.  Now if you do not think the Light District will be a traffic and parking nightmare then we will just have to agree to disagree.  Compare the Legends/Speedway, which is designed by Midwestern people to the Light District which comes with an East Coast mentality."

Well, there you have it. 
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

I believe it's more of a suburban mentality vs. an urban one than a Midwestern mentality vs. an East Coast one. The guy needs to travel to different cities throughout the U.S. and the world for that matter.

KC-wildcat wrote: Here's a quote from a guy over on a KSU board...

"Downtown KCMO has made some major improvements, but there is still a long way to go.  There are still a number of buildings and sidewalks that need to be culled and replaced.  Parking, no matter what you read is going to be a mess.  Traffic is horrible.  The designers of the Light District made a huge mistake when they did not shut down the streets.  They used an East Coast design where they left traffic lanes designed in the 1800s for horses at the same exact dimensions.  My prediction is the Light District will follow Union Station, Science City, WWI Memorial, River Quay, River Front Park, etc. as failures.  The Sprint Center will only thrive if they can get an NBA or NHL team."

He goes on to say, "have you seen The Light District?  I looks like it was designed by Paul Revere?  They took 4 square blocks and had the opportunity to do something with pedistrian and traffic flow.  They chose to make it look like a Boston or Philadelphia traffic jam.The reality of the project is the Mayor of Kansas City, Mr Funky, is already saying it is a finacial sham.  Now if you do not think the Light District will be a traffic and parking nightmare then we will just have to agree to disagree.  Compare the Legends/Speedway, which is designed by Midwestern people to the Light District which comes with an East Coast mentality."

Well, there you have it. 
Last edited by Pork Chop on Sat May 12, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

legends/speedway was "designed"? i prefer terms like "duct taped" or "shat out".
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

well, from the times i've been driving around downtown when there is a big event (even if it's a big event in the River Market), I think all the traffic directions need to be clearly and brightly marked.  Way too many people don't know how to drive in an urban environment (i.e looking for the already present signs so you know what your situation is), instead they treat the normally empty streets like just one really big parking lot, where they make the assumption that there is some flexibility in the traffic rules.

Whenever I'm downtown and I see people calmly going down the wrong way on a one way street, or all of a sudden crossing three lanes to try to make a  left turn, or just completely blowing a traffic light, or any number of "wtf" maneuvers I know there's a big event in or near the loop. (edit: I saw all three moves last night while going through the loop, and had to brake to avoid personal injury for each of them.  All while going on Walnut!)

I think the first couple of weeks of the P+L District, there need to be extra signs (even if they are temporary) just so people don't behave like complete twats.  The Plaza isn't any less "complex" than the area in and around the P+L district (in fact it's probably more so), but it'll take people some time to become accustomed.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Here are some of the complaints I've started to get:

Not enough parking spots close by to anything good.

We have to walk too many blocks to get to anywhere cool.

Too many people.

Not enough people.

Too many one way streets.

I don't want to get shot.

The Plaza is much nicer.

The Sprint Center won't be used often enough. - No anchor tenant

The new shops, bars, and restaurants will be too expensive.

I won't support the Sprint Center because it will raise my property tax.

I won't support the Sprint Center because I have to rent cars often.

Kemper didn't improve the West Bottoms, the TSC didn't improve that area.  So, why would the Sprint Center help downtown?

What happens in 30 years when it's time to replace the Sprint Center?

Only the P&L District will be nice, but you have to go through the crap neighborhoods to get there.

And finally..... 

I can't get there from the suburbs because there's no light rail!
KC is the way to be!
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Suburbanites will not disown the Plaza because:

1) the Plaza already has everything they need
2) they know the Plaza is successful
3) they will not get mugged on the Plaza
4) parking is free and plentiful on on the Plaza

The P&L will be more of a tourist attraction and I strongly believe young professionals will adopt P&L as the new place to "see and be seen."  Suburbanites will mostly shy away unless Phil Collins is playing the Sprint Center  :lol:
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

"P&L is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore."
A fool and your money are soon united.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

"It's not on Broadway, so I can't find it."
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

"Come on guys is this all you got"

"Traffic around there is the wost I Saw in my entire life"

"Why does this city have three major gymnasiums within three miles of each other"

In all honesty, though, I myself have no complaints Just praise of the whole development.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Parking, #1, no question. All that needs to be said.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

1. parking prices are too high
2. too many bars
3. I almost got run over while walking in the crosswallk
4. more lighted street signs
5. why is there a big arse billboard in the middle of  downtown, Kansas City ( did DNA protest this? )
6. condo owners spitting from their balcony on passerby's
7. everytime an event is let out massive traffic jam
8. I called the police 30 minutes ago
9. its dangerous by the JE Dunn building
10. they need more police out here
11. not enough eateries
12. need a grocery store other than "sun fresh" , prices too high
13. too many dead birds on the sidewalks
14. where's the trolley
15. walking 3 to 4 blocks to the Sprint Arena is too far
Last edited by Paintfumes on Sun May 13, 2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Complaints in this order:

3.  Traffic

2.  Parking

1.  Paul Revere
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KC-wildcat wrote: Here's a quote from a guy over on a KSU board...

Well, there you have it. 
Did he really say the WWI Memorial is a failure?

#1 Johnson county complaint, "Not enough Asian massage parlors". 
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

#1 Future complant

There is just too much to do in a weekend!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!