Xroads one of largest art districts with over 70 galleries

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Xroads one of largest art districts with over 70 galleries

Post by ignatius »

When I was at FF this weekend, a gallery owner told me that Xroads is now one of the largest arts districts in the US, top 5 or higher.  I googled and found that Williamsburg in Brooklyn is one of the largest with a population of about 3000 artists and nearly 80 galleries.  (I've been a few times, very similar to Xroads).  SoHo to Chelsea would probably be the largest but most artists don't live there anymore and it's often borderline commercial art created elsewhere. 

Xroads now has over 70 galleries and over 100 art-related businesses/galleries but anyone know what the population of artists is?

Xroads map, click on Galleries on top (I count about 76 galleries but a few are coffee places with a curator, so let's say 'over 70')...
http://kccrossroads.org/maps/v2/#

Williamsburg galleries (about 78)...
http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/galleries.html

Other cities of course have more metro wide but not many have a community of concentrated artists like Billyburg and Xroads, where the artists are the primary presence. 

Chicago's River North has a good 90 galleries/brokers, but it's not really communal and not really concentrated.  But probably much higher in sales.
http://www.thelocaltourist.com/rivernor ... leries.htm

Amusingly, Dallas claims to have the 'largest arts district in the US', because it covers 68.4 acres.  :lol:  But there are only a couple dozen galleries in the district.
http://news.dallaschamber.org/e_article ... ?x=b11,0,w

There are other cities with concentrated arts districts like Philly and Phoenix and LA but not more than 50 or so galleries in one area that I'm aware of.  Maybe Sante Fe.
Last edited by ignatius on Mon May 07, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Xroads one of largest art districts with over 70 galleries

Post by Paintfumes »

Wow that is so awesome :shock:
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Anyone know about how many artists actually live in Xroads?  With rising rents, it may not be growing as much and appears to be attracting higher income professionals.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Does anyone know about their sales numbers?  Do people actually buy stuff, or just browse?  How are they doing financially, from hearsay or else?

Do the tenants turn over routinely, or there for ages?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I dont know how may artist are actually in the crossroads,I will guess more than 20.. To me doesnt seem like the amount there used to be..More commercial artist if anything.. I also found that there are sales here.. If your work is $75-400 bucks you can usually sell all day long..Theres alot of new collectors getting started..I love that..
P&L Free since 2008
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I've bought pieces in Xroads and I know others who have.  I think several do pretty well.  I knew of a guy that was involved with Hammerpress and it was a full time living for him.  I bought about a dozen Eastern Euro prints from him years ago.  He was traveling to E Europe often, even bringing back Euro artists with him.  But I've bought several local pieces as well.

I would've thought there were more than 20 artists actually living in the district.  But with current rents and mostly pricey condos, it's become more yup'd out I guess.
Last edited by ignatius on Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

ignatius wrote: I've bought pieces in Xroads and I know others who have.  I think several do pretty well.  I knew of the guy that used to run Hammerpress and it was a full time living for him.

If I hada condo or loft, I'd def. buy stuff from one of them, for sure.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Like others have said, no one buys on FF. They might see something the like, but they'll come back another time.  Many of the larger galleries have been around a while, and move art by some internationally known artists.

Blue Gallery is closing, thats sad; but the new restaurant will be very cool.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

I would say since last summer it is more common to sell art on a FF than not with galleries I work with. In fact, this past FF one gallery sold about $4,000 worth of art. The interesting thing I've noticed in the last couple of years about FF is that it's turning average KC residents looking for some fun into art collectors and becoming a bit more sophisticated about art.

The FF rules of thumb for art sales. Anything over $1,000 won't sell that night but it may bring someone back. Over $500 is possible if it's really good. Under $500 will sell all night long.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Blue Gallery IS NOT closing..There expanding matter of fact, They are moving across the st. to the space where Elbow Choc. was..should be a better location.
P&L Free since 2008
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would like to see some more of the gallaries have more public hours outside of FF.  I know personally I would be much more inclined to actually shop if it wasn't the middle of a giant street party with chaotic crowds, but I am not really down with the private appointment viewing either.  I would think that a lot of these places would get enough business to justify at least regular saturday afternoon hours.  It is kind of depressing to walk through what is supposed to be one of the best gallary districts in the country and walk past blocks of closed businesses that only open a couple days a month. 
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Most of the galleries are open on Sat..I WILL agree a gallery that is open 1 day a week and by appointment and charges 40-50% sucks..As a artist I would refuse to show with them..but, I only blame the artist.Thus the PI and any others..
P&L Free since 2008
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

ignatius wrote: Anyone know about how many artists actually live in Xroads?  With rising rents, it may not be growing as much and appears to be attracting higher income professionals.
The artist population of the Crossroads is concentrated inside the Leedy-Voulkos building.  Its four floors of true loft-living.  At least four Charlotte Street-winning artists reside/work there. 

Stephanie Leedy is one owner keeping costs at Pre-First Friday prices.  But that reasonable of rent in the Crossroads area is a rare unit.  Most young artists living in the metro rent in Midtown. 

The future of the area will orbit the PAC and "fine arts" rather than "street-level arts," no doubt. 
This topic should be discussed in terms of class. 
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Curious if your saying crossroads artist have to live there?..The arts incubater is also filled.Shea Gordon on holmes, steve whitacre on 16th cherry,Tom Blyod glass on washington,Millenic glass on wyandotte, space where the story tellers are on holmes 16th,troy& alex on 18th theres artist scattered throughout..they are not solely in leedyville.look at the bigger picture..
P&L Free since 2008
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

elextendo wrote: Curious if your saying crossroads artist have to live there?..The arts incubater is also filled.Shea Gordon on holmes, steve whitacre on 16th cherry,Tom Blyod glass on washington,Millenic glass on wyandotte, space where the story tellers are on holmes 16th,troy& alex on 18th theres artist scattered throughout..they are not solely in leedyville.look at the bigger picture..
Yeah, my reply was to the question of whether or not artists actually reside in the Crossroads.  Not whether they lease a studio or administer a non-gallery business. 

Few artists call the Crossroads home, but a good number huddle in Leedyville. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Yeah, my reply was to the question of whether or not artists actually reside in the Crossroads.  Not whether they lease a studio or administer a non-gallery business. 

Few artists call the Crossroads home, but a good number huddle in Leedyville. 
I think the xroads Blues Gallery couple lives in the back of their place. 
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

They do!  Its beautiful!
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Michael and Kathy plus a dog or 2 live in the Blues Gallery.. great folks..and good art..and they drink beer...
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Xroads would be even more badass if there was an effort to develop more affordable rental units. Even 500-600 units aimed at people involved with bands and visual art could bring a remarkable reputation to the urban core. It's unfortunate there aren't more beastly structures in that neighborhood to turn into rental lofts. 
Kcfireman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Kcfireman »

Last week I was in Las Vegas looking at a gallery on the Strip, and the lady asked how it felt to come from a small town like Kansas City to a big city like Vegas and seeing all the art.  It was pretty funny.  She refused to believe that Kansas City was larger then Las Vegas and better known for art as well.
Last edited by Kcfireman on Mon May 14, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.