Moderator definitions

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Moderator definitions

Post by nota »

Here's mine-totally off the top of my head.

Moderators should be able to do what needs done to keep civility to whatever point has been agreed upon by the PTB.

Moderators should have the last word in whether or not a post or thread gets dumpstered. No arguments should be tolerated.

If the offender can't keep his/her cool and shut up, they should be given a time out or whatever you call it.

But my main definition would be that a moderator cannot moderate any thread that he/she is participating in.

And censorship is still censorship
Censorship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia-Censorship is the removal or withholding of information from the public by a controlling group or body.  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship - 83k - May 2, 2007

Anyone else?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moderator definitions

Post by mean »

First of all, I don't think this is a bad idea for a discussion at all, BUT insults to the moderators will absolutely not be tolerated. Go do that in the other thread. Here, be constructive or be deleted. In other words, act like an adult. It isn't that hard. Repeated violators will be put in the quiet chair, you know who you are. All we want is for this to continue to be the best discussion forum for Kansas City, and the only way to do that is to get feedback, so let's hear it.
nota wrote: But my main definition would be that a moderator cannot moderate any thread that he/she is participating in.
This is the only thing I disagree with, and the only thing you've said which I personally have violated. I think it is better to have moderators who actively participate in the discussions, and it may not be until 4 or 5 or 100 pages that things start to sour, by which point everyone is likely to have participated in it.

However, I never ever moderate out of anger. If someone is raising my ire or attacking me personally, I won't moderate them--I'll either let another mod do it if they think it is necessary, or I'll wait a few hours or a day and revisit the offending comment. If I have expressly asked someone to stop doing something and they keep doing it, then of course they will get moderated; but that has only happened one time.

Additionally, I have never and would never put anyone in the Quiet Chair without warning them first. But you only get one. If I say stop it and you don't stop it, that's your problem and it is all on you, in my opinion.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I can honestly say that the behavior of the moderators is absolutely the very last thing I am concerned about in this world. 

I've never had a problem with being censored.....the one time I was censored I was delighted because I said something petty, insulting and stupid and was more than pleased to have it erased from the public record. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Highlander wrote: I can honestly say that the behavior of the moderators is absolutely the very last thing I am concerned about in this world. 

I've never had a problem with being censored.....the one time I was censored I was delighted because I said something petty, insulting and stupid and was more than pleased to have it erased from the public record.   
EXACTLY, but you called it by it's correct word-"censored" 

That is the point I'm trying to make.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That's kind of a pointless semantic debate. Censored, moderated, deleted...whatever you want to call it, it doesn't really matter. The only reason I can think of for you to insist on everyone calling it censorship and none of the other valid (but less implicative of malice) terms is that you want the negative connotation attached to it. If there is another reason, I'm all ears, of course.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

mean wrote: That's kind of a pointless semantic debate. Censored, moderated, deleted...whatever you want to call it, it doesn't really matter. The only reason I can think of for you to insist on everyone calling it censorship and none of the other valid (but less implicative of malice) terms is that you want the negative connotation attached to it. If there is another reason, I'm all ears, of course.
First and foremost, I see no reason to sugar coat anything. Second, I'm not insisting on everyone or anyone calling it censorship. I call 'em like I see 'em. Everyone else is free to do the same.

Has to do with black and white. If there is a "negative connotation" there, it is in your mind, not mine.

AND, FWIW-I'm not saying you should not or never censor. I'm just calling it by it's proper name.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Personally, I like the term "moderated" rather than "censored", but whatever. I hope we can agree that this particular debate remains a pointless one of semantics, and we can continue addressing the issue at hand, which is that some people clearly aren't happy with the way things are done around here. Those people should offer constructive suggestions, if they have them.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

nota wrote: EXACTLY, but you called it by it's correct word-"censored"   

That is the point I'm trying to make.
Actually, I wasn't paying attention to semantics there; I certainly wasn't trying to define it as censorship in the classic sense.  

If I am going to spend an hour or so a night here, I would prefer it to be worthwhile time.  That's why I really do not care what the mods do....in my opinion they keep the place from sliding into the abyss of flame wars and nonsensical discussion that threaten the utility of the forum in the first place.   I absolutely do not like it when there is a good discussion and the thread takes a turn for the worse....there was a time when I hated to have my posts followed by one particular forumer because I knew that it was going to be the end of all serious discussion.  Why even post with that going on.  In those cases, the mods do their jobs well.....it's not like there is a lot in it for them other than maintaining the forum as a good place to discuss the issues that confront Kansas City.      
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Highlander wrote:If I am going to spend an hour or so a night here, I would prefer it to be worthwhile time.  That's why I really do not care what the mods do....in my opinion they keep the place from sliding into the abyss of flame wars and nonsensical discussion that threaten the utility of the forum in the first place.  I absolutely do not like it when there is a good discussion and the thread takes a turn for the worse....there was a time when I hated to have my posts followed by one particular forumer because I knew that it was going to be the end of all serious discussion.  Why even post with that going on.  In those cases, the mods do their jobs well.....it's not like there is a lot in it for them other than maintaining the forum as a good place to discuss the issues that confront Kansas City.
Bingo, that's all there is to it.  Thanks Highlander for making that point so clearly and concisely.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.