KC gets decent share of touring shows

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: KC gets decent share of touring shows

Post by FlippantCitizen »

One problem I perceive is the lack of a modern 2000-3000 capacity venue. Uptown and Midland are old theaters with pretty terrible acoustic quality for modern music. Last time I was at the Uptown it was egregiously oversold and easily 110 degrees on the floor. People physically ill and fanning themselves in the lobby unable to take the heat. The Truman is the best modern facility but is only about 1000 cap. Something double that cap with a similar format, large open floor, good acoustics, good bar service directly open to the floor, good A/C and air circulation. These old theaters do not make for a great concert experience IMO.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:12 pm One problem I perceive is the lack of a modern 2000-3000 capacity venue. Uptown and Midland are old theaters with pretty terrible acoustic quality for modern music. Last time I was at the Uptown it was egregiously oversold and easily 110 degrees on the floor. People physically ill and fanning themselves in the lobby unable to take the heat. The Truman is the best modern facility but is only about 1000 cap. Something double that cap with a similar format, large open floor, good acoustics, good bar service directly open to the floor, good A/C and air circulation. These old theaters do not make for a great concert experience IMO.
The sound at the Uptown is SO bad. They turn the volume up to try and cover it but then it’s just loud and bad. Sure would love to see an El Torreón building renovation to meet the size venue you talk about.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:01 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:12 pm One problem I perceive is the lack of a modern 2000-3000 capacity venue. Uptown and Midland are old theaters with pretty terrible acoustic quality for modern music. Last time I was at the Uptown it was egregiously oversold and easily 110 degrees on the floor. People physically ill and fanning themselves in the lobby unable to take the heat. The Truman is the best modern facility but is only about 1000 cap. Something double that cap with a similar format, large open floor, good acoustics, good bar service directly open to the floor, good A/C and air circulation. These old theaters do not make for a great concert experience IMO.
The sound at the Uptown is SO bad. They turn the volume up to try and cover it but then it’s just loud and bad. Sure would love to see an El Torreón building renovation to meet the size venue you talk about.
That would be a great renovation

Probably not big enough, but I’d love to see something like that happen to the old Grand Avenue Temple

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jDKMoNP3i9GC4Lqt6?g_st=ic
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 pm Probably not big enough, but I’d love to see something like that happen to the old Grand Avenue Temple

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jDKMoNP3i9GC4Lqt6?g_st=ic
The upper level of the El Torreon is probably twice the size of the Uptown Theater. I'd say you could put a hockey rink in there with plenty of room to spare.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:30 pm
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:57 pm On top of the Buzz disappearing, the stranglehold that AEG (aka AXS) has on T-Mobile Center, KC Live!, Midland and The Truman really screws us with LiveNation/TicketMaster shows.

Basically, we're shut out of any show above a certain size unless they go to Grinders, Starlight or Uptown and two of those are outdoor venues with limited dates.
Municipal Auditorium is a ticketmaster venue right? Why don't more concerts go here?

Also do we know what the KC Current stadium will be affiliated with?
I have been wondering about the lack of usage of Municipal Auditorium for a while. Seems weird it doesn't get used for shows much (at all) anymore. Maybe the convention center gets a say in the programming there? It seems like shows that should go there get booked way out at the arena in Independence now.

KC current stadium seems like a good option but is it about the same size as Starlight?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Municipal is OLD did the backstage tour there and have done other venues and municipal is just not on the same playing fiekd
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

A major improvement towards making a nice 5-7k or so arena to compliment ring sports & concerts would be something nice for it in a few years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Doesn't appear venues and capacity are the problem as KC used to draw at least twice as many shows/events at times. It seems there are fewer local promoters. Fewer local festivals too.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:22 am Doesn't appear venues and capacity are the problem as KC used to draw at least twice as many shows/events at times. It seems there are fewer local promoters. Fewer local festivals too.
Spoke to one of my friends in the industry today and this is right on.

Basically, the major market festivals in Kansas City went away because, despite the high attendance, the market/promoters couldn’t support the expense. For instance, Middle of the Map went a decade without being profitable.

On top of this, KC has historically been one of the strongest alternative markets in the nation due to 96.5 The Buzz. But since the buzz got bought out and stopped investing in local bands or breaking bigger bands, there isn't a station that can fill their place and support these events.

Ultimately, there's smaller events that'll pop up (Boulevardia, Not A Phase, Smokey River, etc) but it may take a couple of years for Kansas City to have a major flagship festival again
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:31 pm Basically, the major market festivals in Kansas City went away because, despite the high attendance, the market/promoters couldn’t support the expense. For instance, Middle of the Map went a decade without being profitable.
I've wondered what happened to MotM. Pardon my ignorance but given high attendance, what prevents a festival such as this from turning a profit? Lack of advertising revenue year over year? Lack of corporate/vendor sponsorship? Were higher ticket/combo prices necessary?