B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by kboish »

Is Cordish going to continue to be involved in the theater once Alamo takes over? Or will this be purely Alamos shingdig?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote:
FangKC wrote:I think Cordish is the problem here. Shouldn't the company that operates a movie theater business be the one making decisions about how to turn a profit at a movie theater?
I'm not so sure. Does AMC have any experience running a small, downtown theater? It seems that their strategy is to focus on huge megaplexes in the suburbs. This was a totally new concept with them and I think they realized that they didn't have a clue. They are strictly a movie theater company. I think they had a problem being a full entertainment theater and couldn't figure out how to make the same amount of money with less theaters. It sounds like Alamo gets it. You have to make more with less. You have to market better. Give a full entertainment experience. Grind. Will Smith and Tom Cruise alone aren't going to attract enough customers anymore. You have to give a full entertainment experience.
AMC ran the Mainstreet Theater when it was still called the Empire (before it closed down in the 1980s), and the original company Durwood Theaters (which was what it was called before the changed the name to American Multi-Cinemas), operated four other downtown movie theaters, The Midland, the Capri, the Regent, and the Roxy. The also operated a 2-screen theater called The Parkway Twin in Ward Parkway Center. They operated the 6-plex Oak Park Plaza Theater until 2006 in Overland Park, as well as another 6-plex in the Oak Park Mall until the 1990s. AMC operated the Bannister Square 6 Cinemas until 1998, and Metro North 6 Cinema until 2006.

AMC currently operates 6-plexes in Seattle, Washington; Chicago Ridge, E. Alton, Danville, Quincy, Illinois; Rocky River, Ohio; New York City, and Bayside, NY; Chestnut Hill, and Cambridge, Massachusetts; Ft. Collins, Colorado; Deptford, New Jersey; and Lexington Park, Maryland; and 5-plexes in Centralia, Illinois; Rockville Center, New York; and Kensington, Maryland; a 4-plex in Santa Monica, California; and single-screen theaters in Lombard, Illinois, and Framingham, Massachusetts.

I think they know how to operate movie theaters--even small ones.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kboish wrote:Is Cordish going to continue to be involved in the theater once Alamo takes over? Or will this be purely Alamos shingdig?
Yes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AMC divorce from Cordish now official

Alamo Drafthouse takes control of historic movie house on Thursday, plans changes in lounge.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/19/36 ... icial.html
Gerry Lopez, president and CEO of AMC, said irreconcilable differences between the two companies over the operation of the Mainstreet led to the divorce.

He said the movie operation was breaking even, but the food and beverage side, which includes a first-floor lounge called the Marquee, had been losing money.

“When the operation came under distress, we’re not apt to cut corners, and other folks had a different point of view,” Lopez said, referring to Cordish. “There’s not enough oxygen in that fish bowl for all the fish to live.”

Lopez said AMC wanted to buy out its partner’s share and own and operate the Mainstreet, leaving the Midland to Cordish, but was turned down repeatedly.

“We had hoped to be the company and made several offers to Cordish to absorb the Mainstreet, which loses money, and give up the Midland, which makes money,” he said. “They rejected that offer.

“It has tremendous sentimental and historic value to the company,” he added, “but it’s not our flagship.”

The company’s departure from the theater marks the end of a connection to downtown Kansas City that began when Edward Dubinsky leased his first movie theater in 1920. Dubinsky’s son, Stan Durwood, built what eventually became AMC into a major national chain.
Lopez also would not rule out a return by AMC to downtown at some point.

“The possibility of AMC returning to downtown is not over at all,” he said. “If Mayor (Sly) James or a developer called with an intriguing idea, we’d respond in a heartbeat.

“The exciting thing with the Wanda Group is its injection of fresh equity into the company that allows us to look at opportunities. Kansas City is doing great, and downtown is showing tremendous signs of life.”
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:AMC divorce from Cordish now official

Alamo Drafthouse takes control of historic movie house on Thursday, plans changes in lounge.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/19/36 ... icial.html

“The possibility of AMC returning to downtown is not over at all,” he said. “If Mayor (Sly) James or a developer called with an intriguing idea, we’d respond in a heartbeat.

“The exciting thing with the Wanda Group is its injection of fresh equity into the company that allows us to look at opportunities. Kansas City is doing great, and downtown is showing tremendous signs of life.”

From the bottom of my heart Gerry.....F off. Your circus company did a great job of abandoning downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:
From the bottom of my heart Gerry.....F off. Your circus company did a great job of abandoning downtown.

=D> =D>

I seriously avoid AMC now so this is great news. I can catch a movie at the Main Street Theater without supporting AMC.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

GRID wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

=D> =D>

I seriously avoid AMC now so this is great news. I can catch a movie at the Main Street Theater without supporting AMC.
I generally go to Cinemark because of the cheaper prices but I have to admit the upgraded Ward Parkway is really nice. I've been to Alamo Drafthouse in Austin so I'm looking forward to what they can do to the Mainstreet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hearne: Alamo Logistical Nightmare or More Millions @ AMC Mainstreet?

http://kcstage.blogspot.com/2012/06/can ... treet.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Alamo will be in for a big surprise. A downtown movie theater no matter how elaborate will not be a metro draw as they probably expect, it will only attract those who are already downtown for other reasons, which may not include seeing a movie. Downtown population needs to double to fill the theater on a daily basis.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Alamo will be in for a big surprise. A downtown movie theater no matter how elaborate will not be a metro draw as they probably expect, it will only attract those who are already downtown for other reasons, which may not include seeing a movie. Downtown population needs to double to fill the theater on a daily basis.
Or it has to deliver a product that is unique. A well run bar/restaurant area joined with a unique film experience can and will draw more people than from just the downtown area. People go to the IMAX theaters from all over the metro, and people were coming from outside of the area to see movies in the cinema suites under AMC. Some of the problems in my opinion were that the movies were all the same as other locations and the price point shifted wildly about 3 or 4 different times. I'm not aware of any specials, unique film series, or additional efforts to get people in on weeknights either. There are a lot of things this theater can offer that no other theater in the area can offer if they play their cards right.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

bobbyhawks wrote:Some of the problems in my opinion were that the movies were all the same as other locations
this. and having excellent food options will help it succeed. Also, making the Chesterfield (formerly Marquee Lounge) into something special will help it stand alone as a venue-not just as a place to have a drink/meal before the show. It never did quite feel like they got the full potential out of that space....could be pretty awesome, but it needs to be disassociated with the theater as a destination/hangout...
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

earthling wrote:Alamo will be in for a big surprise. A downtown movie theater no matter how elaborate will not be a metro draw as they probably expect, it will only attract those who are already downtown for other reasons.
No. AMC has publicly stated that the theatre part of the Mainstreet was doing well. It was the restuarant/dining part of the operation that was failing.

Plenty of people go downtown for the very reason that dinner and movie are within walking distance.

I think Alamo should know exactly what they're in for. The movies will take care of themselves. If they want to make Mainstreet operate in the black, they need to fill the Chesterfield.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Didn't take long for Mainstreet to shed all of the AMC signage. The vertical Mainstreet sign is still there, but the AMC is removed from the top.

Do we know if the theatre operation will keep the Mainstreet sign and become the Alamo Mainstreet?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Ah, I misunderstood. I've been to weekend movies often and the theaters are usually over 75% filled but I thought weekdays were pretty slow, guess not. AMC made it sound like the theaters themselves were not meeting expectations.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

As someone who goes to movies on average once every week/week-and-a-half, the Mainstreet was a good option for the simple fact that it DID show the same movies as everywhere else. I don't mind a theme night every now and then at one or two of the screens, but moving too far away from mainstream movies will end up alienating a lot of people. And personally, I don't like to go to cinemas where every screen offers seat service - it's too distracting if I'm not eating or drinking. That said, I can't wait to give Alamo a try.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KC-wildcat wrote:Didn't take long for Mainstreet to shed all of the AMC signage. The vertical Mainstreet sign is still there, but the AMC is removed from the top.

Do we know if the theatre operation will keep the Mainstreet sign and become the Alamo Mainstreet?
I was wondering this as well. I certainly hope they keep that sign as is- adding Alamo if they please.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

earthling wrote:^Ah, I misunderstood. I've been to weekend movies often and the theaters are usually over 75% filled but I thought weekdays were pretty slow, guess not. AMC made it sound like the theaters themselves were not meeting expectations.
"AMC CEO said the movie operation was breaking even, but the food and beverage side, which includes a first-floor lounge called the Marquee, had been losing money."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I imagine the Mainstreet sign will stay, since that is the historic name of the theater. Cordish controls the theater building, so they probably had that in the contract with Alamo. Cordish bought out AMC's share of the theater, so the sign and name is theirs.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... article_du

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... ge_gallery

I'm sort of puzzled by what Lopez means by this statement.

With the AMC Mainstreet just breaking even on the movie side, and with Screenland and Alamo already in the downtown market, I can't imagine that another theater--as part of a new development, could be justified in the downtown market.

I wondered with the Wanda buyout of AMC, if somehow things are not going well with the decision about the headquarters move and development in Leawood. "If Mayor James called....we'd respond in a heartbeat." WTF does that mean?

That all said, I've thought for some time that the Mainstreet should buy ads in the Northeast News, and other neighborhood newspapers that are delivered free to houses nearby.

A lot of people don't take the KC Star in this neighborhood, and don't pick up Pitch Weekly, but we all get Northeast News. The Mainstreet is still the closest theater to the Old Northeast neighborhood, and much of the East Side neighborhoods. It's also one of the few theaters that you can get to in a reasonable time by bus.

Since youth make up so much of the ticket-buying public, I wonder if Alamo should do matinees up to 4 pm for young people, then be adult-only after 6 pm--especially in the summer months. Young people from the Old Northeast can get to the Mainstreet in about 20 minutes by bus.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

FangKC wrote:Since youth make up so much of the ticket-buying public, I wonder if Alamo should do matinees up to 4 pm for young people, then be adult-only after 6 pm--especially in the summer months. Young people from the Old Northeast can get to the Mainstreet in about 20 minutes by bus.
that would be a great way to market to kids...otherwise this should 100% cater to adults right off the bat. I mean come on, the kids already have legoland, let the adults have this :)
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, I doubt many adults are going to afternoon matinees during the week in the summer, and needing a cocktail then. You might as well open it up to the kids.