KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Funkhouser's response to the allegations

Post by Paintfumes »

25 March 2007

Dear Folks,

Here are my responses to the allegations against me in the direct mail piece sent out by the Brooks campaign. 

1.  Allegation:  As City Auditor, Funkhouser recommended selling the water department, the airport, park land and community centers to private companies.  Is that being smart with city assets?

Fact:  The council on which my opponent serves as Mayor Pro Tem has privatized the Zoo, some of the golf courses, the American Royal Center, and transferred most of the city’s public works projects to the private consultants running the city’s Capital Improvements Management Office (CIMO).

2.    Allegation:  As Auditor, Funkhouser recommended charging residents for trash pick up.  Didn’t voters approve an earnings tax in the early 1970’ for trash pick up and trash bags?

Fact:  The council on which my opponent serves as Mayor Pro Tem established the present system of charging residents for pick up of trash bags beyond the two-bag limit.

3.    Allegation:  As Auditor, Funkhouser recommended a 5% pay cut for city employees.  Last month he handed out a letter to employees at city hall suggesting he would raise their salaries.  Which is it, pay cuts or pay raises?

Fact:  It is not true that I recommended an across the board pay cut for city employees.  I have advised on numerous occasions that city employees need to be better paid, better trained, better equipped and better managed.

4.    Allegation:  As Auditor, Funkhouser recommended diverting funds from the 1989 voter approved health levy (for indigent health care) to the city general fund.  Is this keeping faith with the voters?

Fact:  It is not true that I recommended diverting funds from the 1989 voter approved health levy (for indigent health care) to the city general fund.

5.    Allegation:  Last month, Funkhouser said he favored school vouchers and a week later reversed his position.  Is flip-flopping a positive leadership trait?

Fact:  I did reverse my position on school vouchers when I learned that it was not possible to both work with the school districts and support vouchers.  In the search for real solutions to problems, a little learning is a good thing.

6.    Allegation:  While Auditor, Funkhouser applied for Superintendent of Schools, twice for City Manager and was turned down.  What does he really want to be?

Fact:  I was asked by the Desegregation Monitoring Committee to apply for Superintendent of Schools.  I applied to be City Manager because I thought I was the best qualified for the job.  In each case I followed the same basic principle – try to improve the way government responds to the needs of regular folks.

7.  Allegation:  Funkhouser recently said that he has been planning to run for Mayor since 1998.  Has his long term plan to run for Mayor influenced his audits and management of the Citizen’s Survey?

Fact:  While individuals have suggested that I run for Mayor for years, I didn’t think seriously about doing so until three or four years ago.  In America anyone is free to run for public office if they follow the rules.  I followed the rules and retired before I ran.  The best way to be ready to ask the people for a promotion to Mayor was to do a good job as City Auditor.  I think the record shows that I did that.

8.  Allegation:  Many leaders question Mark Funkhouser’s ability to work            with people.  Some say he is a loner.  How well will this City work            if Funkhouser is Mayor?

Fact:  I could not have had the success I had as City Auditor as a loner.  The people who say I’m a loner are willing to say anything to prevent me from being elected.

9.  Allegation:  Funkhouser has worked inside city government for 18 years.  Is he really an outsider?

Fact:  I have always tried to work in the public interest and I think my record shows that.  I have worked inside the city government but my focus was always on the people of the city.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11