wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really loved the thin crust pizza they offered but it was so overpriced. It was like 30 bucks for a large 4 topping pizza
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

The fences around the little retail strip including the former theater building have come down. The former liquor store now has another liquor store with different ownership in it and the rest of the spaces (former laundry, market, and bob wasabi) are still vacant though they are advertised for lease. pulled in to check it out and talked to a guy whose friend is the operator of the new liquor store. He said that there was residential in the works for the site but the plan was scrapped, and the property sold. So back to square one with that site. A bunch of functioning businesses evicted from their spaces and now we'll just have to wait for similar ones to come along and fill the stalls again. Kind of annoying tbh.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

it was Price Bros who planned the residential right?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:02 pm it was Price Bros who planned the residential right?
Yeah, I think that was the case. Parcel viewer now shows "Bell Plaza LLC"
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Pizza Tascio is opening a second location in the Meatball District space.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:50 pm Per the Happy Hollow Brewing Company (Cassville, MO) Facebook page, they will be opening 39th Street Brewing in the old Do Good Co building on the NE corner of 39th/Terrace
I saw this building has been repainted and now says 39th street brewery on it. Maybe it has been like that for awhile, but i only noticed it today.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Controversy over a new crosswalk...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:10 pm Pizza Tascio is opening a second location in the Meatball District space.
Solid move given the death of D'Bronx (RIP :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: )
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Mushroom Culture is in negotiations to take over the former Blue Koi space. They've started a Mainvest initiative to raise funds. Will have grab-n-go meals, butcher display case, hot food items and to go window facing 39th St sidewalk.

https://mainvest.com/b/mushroom-culture-shawnee
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kcjak wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 am Mushroom Culture is in negotiations to take over the former Blue Koi space. They've started a Mainvest initiative to raise funds. Will have grab-n-go meals, butcher display case, hot food items and to go window facing 39th St sidewalk.

https://mainvest.com/b/mushroom-culture-shawnee
RIP D'Bronx :(
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Aren't they still out in KS? Or did those finally fold too? They were never as good anyway in my experience.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I feel as though many of the SFHs around 39th could use replacing. I’m not saying a new 2+5 but at least some walk ups or row homes. The housing stock is not always in great shape. similar to north plaza in that regard
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Ginghis Khan sp? has re-opened. New owner is former employee
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

langosta wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:09 pm I feel as though many of the SFHs around 39th could use replacing. I’m not saying a new 2+5 but at least some walk ups or row homes. The housing stock is not always in great shape. similar to north plaza in that regard
Leave my beautiful neighborhood alone! I don't see what needs replacing. I am restoring a SFH that was converted to 2 apartments back into a SFH.

Build some apartments on the empty lots that pepper 39th, closer to the Trafficway.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Midtownkid wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 am
langosta wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:09 pm I feel as though many of the SFHs around 39th could use replacing. I’m not saying a new 2+5 but at least some walk ups or row homes. The housing stock is not always in great shape. similar to north plaza in that regard
Leave my beautiful neighborhood alone! I don't see what needs replacing. I am restoring a SFH that was converted to 2 apartments back into a SFH.

Build some apartments on the empty lots that pepper 39th, closer to the Trafficway.
Wish we could have a new apartment built on the SE corner of 39th and Mercier in conjunction with a renovation of the Loretto. I'm concerned that leaning cap on the roof.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Build more dense apartments along Southwest Trafficway south of Penn Valley Community College.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:58 am
Midtownkid wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 am

Wish we could have a new apartment built on the SE corner of 39th and Mercier in conjunction with a renovation of the Loretto. I'm concerned that leaning cap on the roof.
My landlady at the time spearheaded the effort to block redevelopment of the Loretto lots along Mercier. She's so her home and rental property next to it (both on Mercier) and moved out of the country so she wouldn't be around to block anything. But I do know that there is at least one resident on the north end of the block that would be against anything and the guy who owns the Q39 strip mall lives on Mercier and likely would be against anything. Any solution for new apartments would need to have some focus on affordable housing or the neighborhood in general is going to revolt. But I say bring it on!
BTW whatever happened with the proposed development on the NE corner or Roanoke/39th?