Relo? Where to go?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Txgrl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Relo? Where to go?

Post by Txgrl »

Okay, so I'm going to make the "big" move at the end of '07/beginning '08.  Where do I go???  I know nothing of KC (except what I get from visitkc.com).  Hyde Park and Brookside sound nice, right?  I like older houses, anything up to late 40's.  I love hardwood floors and character!  I'm not a "suburbanite", not that there is anything wrong with the suburbs, it's just not me.  I want a nice neighborhood with friendly neighbors.  I would love to hang out outside with neighbors and have an adult beverage.  Anyway, can anyone offer any words of wisdom?  Tidbits of advice?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Relo? Where to go?

Post by Maitre D »

Txgrl wrote: Okay, so I'm going to make the "big" move at the end of '07/beginning '08.  Where do I go???  I know nothing of KC (except what I get from visitkc.com).  Hyde Park and Brookside sound nice, right?  I like older houses, anything up to late 40's.  I love hardwood floors and character!  I'm not a "suburbanite", not that there is anything wrong with the suburbs, it's just not me.  I want a nice neighborhood with friendly neighbors.  I would love to hang out outside with neighbors and have an adult beverage.  Anyway, can anyone offer any words of wisdom?  Tidbits of advice?
Just from reading your post, I peg you for Brookside.

If you're a newlywed, I'll go with Prairie Village.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Lacking additional info about your work location, amenity desires, entertainment sought, I'll add some considerations.  Take a look at the neighborhoods between Broadway and/or Southwest Trafficway and State Line, from 34th Street to 48th Street.  Also west of SW Trafficway between 31st and about 35th is a neighborhood know as Coleman Highlands.

KC has many, many more neighborhoods that are highly livable and friendly.  Your specifics will bring many suggestions from this forum.  Good luck and welcome.....
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: If you're a newlywed, I'll go with Prairie Village.
Nothing against Raytown, but Prairie Village has always reminded me of Raytown.  Or Hickman. 
The difference is the property values, but the building stock is the same too small, cracked foundation 50s ranch stuff.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

voltopt wrote: Nothing against Raytown, but Prairie Village has always reminded me of Raytown.  Or Hickman. 
The difference is the property values, but the building stock is the same too small, cracked foundation 50s ranch stuff.
PV has the huge shopping artery in the middle which is very nice, creeks running thru it, great schools, and it's right next to MIssion Hills/ the Plaza.

So while I agree on the houses sucking, the rest is completely different from Raytown.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Txgrl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Txgrl »

Ugh, I'm new to this whole "forum" thing and I tried to reply and it didn't work so here we go again...

We are early/mid 30's. I have 2 school-age boys that attend private school now and will probably continue on that path (Rockhurst will be the high school when the time comes). I'll probably end up working downtown at a law firm. I need culture! I love the ballet. I love museums and art galleries. We eat out a lot (Thai, Mexican, French, Indian are a few favs). We would much rather hang out at a bar than go to a trendy club.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sounds like you might be a good fit for midtown--pretty much the area loftguy mentioned, although I would include a few blocks further east toward Main or perhaps even beyond into Southmoreland. West Plaza would probably work well for you, too.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

There's a neighborhood on the bluff just west of downtown that I recently discovered and considered for a home. I think its called the West Side. Its a short bike ride from downtown, and within walking distance of where the Performing Arts Center will be. It seems like an artsy community and has some restaurants within walking distance.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

www.scarrittneighborhood.org
www.northeastnews.net

Two web sites that will serve you greatly. Historic Northeast is a stone's throw from downtown. A stone's throw being about 3-5 miles, depending on where you land in Historic Northeast.
Two neighborhoods to note.
Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood, home to the Kansas City Museum, friendly neighbors and street after street of 1800-2500 sq. ft. 2-3 story homes, some in one or the other of our two Historic Districts. If a bigger home is what you're seking, we've a few Buolevards to choose from, homes on Gladstone or Benton range from 2400 sq. ft. all the way up to a 7500 sq ft, Colonial Revival that's currently on the market for $675,000. The smaller homes can run from $75,000 on up to $200,000, depending on how much restoration needs to be done. We socialize a little when weather is warmer, monthly coctail gatherings at various neighbors homes with the annual Martini Olympics that culminates in October, just prior to our big Haloween event for the kids. (7,000 kids last year)

Pendleton Heights is just west of Scarritt. Friendly folks, a bit more compact than Scarritt and extremely well represented on this board. Both neighborhoods are extremely active in the ongoing fight against crime, and blight. There is a friendly competition between the two neighborhoods, but we all pull together when it comes to promoting hte area and making sure the community gets its due. Pendleton Heights is a bit more gentrified than Scarritt, but Scarritt has a few more initiatives on tap for homeowners. (10 year property tax freeze, etc.)

Feel free to ask questions, this is a promotin bunch of folks on this board, mostly of Kansas City's urban core neighborhoods. And as far as Brookside is concerned, too many Hummers, too many lawyers there already!  :shock: :shock:

BWAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA

Sportster
...proud to be old school northeast
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:
So while I agree on the houses sucking, the rest is completely different from Raytown.
i agree.  its proximity to higher land values, decent shopping & amenities make praire village appealing.  these are important factors, as is quality of construction and to me, history and craftsmanship.
the housing stock in PV is a little sad.  That could be said of a lot of places (north oak, turner, mission, roeland park, grandview, blue ridge)
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Txgrl wrote: Ugh, I'm new to this whole "forum" thing and I tried to reply and it didn't work so here we go again...

We are early/mid 30's. I have 2 school-age boys that attend private school now and will probably continue on that path (Rockhurst will be the high school when the time comes). I'll probably end up working downtown at a law firm. I need culture! I love the ballet. I love museums and art galleries. We eat out a lot (Thai, Mexican, French, Indian are a few favs). We would much rather hang out at a bar than go to a trendy club.
I suspect you will want to be closer to the private school than work.  I would recommend Brookside - Waldo area as there are several good Catholic schools around there that feed into Rockhurst (I believe St. Peters is the main one).  Waldo can be a bit dumpy in spots but parts of it are very nice.  Brookside is one of the premier neighborhoods in the urban core and its very nice.  Prairie Village works too with the school thing with the exception that the public schools there are very good.  
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Don't forget, there are a couple of very good Montessori schools within the bounds of central Kansas City as well-

3930 Baltimore (64111) & also at 32 E 46th (64112)  :D
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The city's best neighborhood for younger couples who want vibrant urban living and a single family home are:

1. W. 39th/Volker/Roanoke - as close as KC gets to a college-town atmosphere

2. Northeast (although it lacks walkable amenities and entertainment) - hands down best architecture in the city, very diverse yet stable, and very close to downtown.

3. West Side - Downtown's single family hood. Funky, safe, economically mixed, ethnically Mexican, gentrifying.

The city's most kid friendly, family oriented neighborhoods, with proximity to cultural attractions are:

1. Brookside - 1920's streetcar suburb, alot of tudors, crafstman bungalows, great parks, well kept, primarily families.

2. Waldo - Brookside's working class cousin

3. Northeast Johnson County: Fairway, Westwood, Prairie Village - quite a few nice 1940's Cape Cods a
smattering of other pre-war houses with charm.

3. W. Plaza - Close to the Plaza and W. 39th, smaller modest bungalows with unbeatable location.

I assume from your post that you want a house, not a condo/apartment.  Hope this helps.  I have lived in Volker, Northeast and Waldo and loved all 3.  My wife and I have two kids and recently moved to the Waldo/Brookside border and I miss midtown especially, and Northeast as well, but at this point in my life I wouldn't trade my spot in Waldo for either.  Lots of kids, several great Catholic schools, and an easy shot to the urban core when we have a babysitter or when we want to take the boys downtown for the day.
Last edited by chingon on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Txgrl wrote: Ugh, I'm new to this whole "forum" thing and I tried to reply and it didn't work so here we go again...

You could try the Sante Fe Hills (20's to 30's built for the most part) area but most of the houses are one car garage.  Close to Rockhurst (could walk to or from in a pinch), Waldo for neighborhood bars, and there are even small ethnic restaurants in the area.  Nelson and Kemper are not too far away and downtown not much farther.  There are a few private or parochial grade schools nearby.  Public transportation is close also.

You could also try "old" Leawood, just south of Prairie Village
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Parts of Fairway, Mission and PV are ideal if one of your priorities is being able to walk or bike to stores, restaurants, etc.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Don't listen to anyone advocating areas outside of Downtown.  No way.  Not with 2 little kids.

It's either Prairie Village, West Plaza, or Brookside for you.  I'm sure you'll agree when you take your tours.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

not sure on your budget but you really can't go wrong with the Brookside/Morningside/Crestwood/South Plaza area.  it is beautiful, family-friendly, relatively close to private schools (and a great neighborhood public elementary school). 

hopefully you're working with a realtor and can just tell them you want to look at charming homes in the following area: 

north boundary: 51st street
south boundary:  75th street
west boundary:  State Line
east boundary:  Rockhill Road/Holmes

period. 

i guarantee you will fall in love with this area.  1-5 minutes from two groceries, shops, neighborhood eateries, etc.  5 minutes to the museums, 5 minutes to the Plaza, 10 minutes to Rockhurst High, 10-15 minutes to Westport/Midtown, 15-20 to Crossroads Arts District/Downtown.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

^^That's my hood.  I'd say you could look as far east as Troost and as far south as 85th, though, and find a lot of additional listings that are between 115K and 200K, if your price range is prohibitive.  Not many homes north of 75th and west of Holmes are below the 150's.  Most realty site have a zip code search function.  Try , which has all MLS listing if you register (free and non-binding).  The zips for the areas in question are for 64113, 64114 and 64131.  I hope you like bungalows, tudors or center hall plans, though.

As i said, I live off 72nd and Wornall, and it is pretty much unbeatable if you are planning on sending your kids to private/parochial schools.
Last edited by chingon on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Either the Volker/Roanoke neighborhood (between Southwest Trafficway and State Line Road, South of 31st, North of 39th) or the Brookside/Waldo neighborhood (between Ward Parkway and Holmes Road, South of 55th, North of 75th).     
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

Txgrl wrote: Okay, so I'm going to make the "big" move at the end of '07/beginning '08.  Where do I go???
I'll put in a plug for Hyde Park in midtown.  http://www.hydeparkkc.org/

Great location, old houses with much character, lots of friendly neighbors.  We used to have lots of porch parties when we were there.