Downtown Baseball stadium talk firing up

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well on 980 this morning they were talking about a few council people wanting to relook at the idea of a new baseball stadium downtown instead of renovating Kauffman. While I think this is a good idea, much better to put in a little more for a new building rather than spend $200M on renovations, I don't think a downtown arena should be sacrificed for the baseball stadium.

We need a downtown arena probably more than a new baseball stadium...we can have both.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Keep Kauffman!!! It's already the best stadium of its era, keep it and make it the best period.

A downtown arena would be nice, but not if it means slicing up the loop or cutting corners like they plan on doing with the PAC and Convention Annex.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here's KCGridlock's rendering again...810 is talking about this:

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Oh God!!! They just mentioned Wy Co as a sight for a new stadium on Crunch Time. And they also said downtown was "terrible" and they never went down there. They said a stadium would get people down there with a few bars around it and a Dave and Buster's. These guys are simple-minded dolts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah they really don't have much of an idea....

I'm sick but I wouldn't mind KCK putting pressure on KCMO....putting a stadium on the river in KCK would have some sweet views of KCMO.....of course I wouldn't want it there but if there is some pressure put on, things might get done.

I still want the arena more.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Marinovich would put the stadium near the Speedway. They also mentioned a Jo Co stadium...God help us if this ever turns into more than speculation.

You're right that we need competition on projects like arenas and stadiums rather than fighting over tired companies like Bass Pro. I'll bet you a million dollars that if OP, KCK or Independence was developing plans for a new stadium or arena, the city would get off their a#$.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I have some real reservations on the downtown stadium deal. Not the concept itself, but its execution and its cost.

1. Would this end up being a "suburban" stadium built downtown, sorrounded by acres of parking, which would only encourage more drive-in drive-out fans? Denver's stadium does not have nearly enough parking for the seats, which forces people to have to walk through Lodo, and patronize the businesses, or use public transportation.

2. funding: No way, no how would I support a stripped down facility, or a facility that is built at the sacrifice of our already existing and aging convention center, or PAC or ballroom or arena. We need to make sure we can adequately fund all the things on our plate before we add more to the mix.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah with the economy the way it is, we need to make sure we do what we already have on the plate and do it right, not skimp because we'll always regret that.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

jesus, people that call these shows only want stuff like "hard rock cafe"....come on.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Yeah..i heard that guy. Did you hear the lady from the Northland who complained that people say downtown is dangerous and there's no parking? Just because people here use their cars more than they use their legs doesn't make it right. She also said seeing the blue sky and trees was better than seeing "ugly buildings." I don't agree with that. Doesn't KC have a rich heritage of great parks? Maybe we could build on that around Kauffman and Arrowhead.

I like the idea of building a "district" around the stadiums if we keep Kauffman.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that's Paula Marie, she spews the same line every time it comes up...huge Royals fan.

I like the idea of a district in theory but the fact is if nobody has built out by Truman Sports Complex in 30 years, no business is going to want to build around older stadiums.....

Here's what I think we should do:

1) figure out PAC & Bartle expansion
2) get new arena going
3) look at new kauffman
4) Keep arrowhead where it's at

Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Another great site for this would be just north of Crown Center. Washington Square Park would be a great walk-up entrance to the new Hallmark Field. Since the Royals and Hallmark share the crown as a symbol it would be a perfect tie-in. The stadium would open up to great downtown views being set back from downtown. The water spectacular in the outfield would look great against the night skyline of downtown. There seems to be a lot of parking around Crown Center and the huge Union Station lot. The only issue are the train tracks. They'd have to build them a tunnel under the outfield.

Jim Rowland of the City Council is reviving this so kudos to him. He's right, let's not make the same mistake we did with Kemper. For the money they're talking about renovating Kauffman they could almost build a new one. Over two million people around Crown Center might convince the Hall family to become sports fans and buy the naming rights.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

A new Baseball stadium would be a really bold move. We need more bold moves in this city. It still amazes me how a city of barely 200,000 in 1914 pulled off building Union Station, then the Liberty Memorial. Imagine the debates that must have raged. Union Station is our finest, most spectacular building and yet, with nearly two million residents, we can't stick our necks out for anything close to that now. Maybe Bistate can refocus on downtown by building the Big Three- PAC, a new arena at 12th and Grand and a baseball stadium north of Crown Center. We'd appeal to all interests. One vote yes would single-handedly, boldly, revive this city.
That would mean we could finally combine all the components that could make for a destination downtown -- housing, entertainment, the arts and sports.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Crown Park at Hallmark or Hallmark Field at Union Station??? Talk about corporate sponsorship, that would have to be the first stadium practically built on the sponsor's world headquarters, close enough at least. Build over the tracks and work the trains into the feel of the stadium. Train horns for every homerun. Gotta keep the fountains.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

a downtown arena and stadium is a good idea in my opinion.
Alot of stadiums these days are near the downtowns, and ours should be too. However I disagree it should be near Kansas, not only would it confuse people more, it would be in the west bottoms which wouldn't look too good to visitors.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Oh God!!! They just mentioned Wy Co as a sight for a new stadium on Crunch Time. And they also said downtown was "terrible" and they never went down there. They said a stadium would get people down there with a few bars around it and a Dave and Buster's. These guys are simple-minded dolts.
That's the problem, these people that have a voice and make decisions have absolutely NO VISION! I've heard more vision on these posts than I've ever heard from some idiot on the radio or in the city council.

Also, I accidently put you on "Ignore"...I'm feelin' stupid right now so can someone tell me how to take trailer off ignore?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Oh... And I forgot to mention that I like the idea of puttin' a new stadium near 18th & Vine. It seems there's no real streetscape or lively scene connecting that district with Downtown/Crown Center.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Que

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/ignore.php

Go there and delete him out of your ignore list...I should put a link up to that....

KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KC wrote:Yeah that's Paula Marie, she spews the same line every time it comes up...huge Royals fan.

I like the idea of a district in theory but the fact is if nobody has built out by Truman Sports Complex in 30 years, no business is going to want to build around older stadiums.....

Here's what I think we should do:

1) figure out PAC & Bartle expansion
2) get new arena going
3) look at new kauffman
4) Keep arrowhead where it's at
Should have been the top five (transit being no 5) on that list of top priorities for metro KC that came out during the KC150 events.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

While the idea of a stadium downtown is great, I just can't agree with throwing away Kaufman. It is a beautiful stadium put in a poorly chosen location. Building a stadium downtown would also most likely mean the removal of many historic and architecurally significant buildings, which could be restored with public seed money.

The old argument that the city or state should spend millions on mega-projects is flawed. These projects are often good-hearted, but result in bringing in tourists or suburbanites for the day. At the end of the day, the streets are as dead as before. The soluion is as follows. First, the city must narrow the streets, returning many to two way traffic, and reducing lanes. Studies have shown that this will slow traffic and not contribute to increased congestion. The city must spend money on reconstructing the streets and most importantly the curbs and sidewalks with various textures and materials. Trees must be planted now (a variety would be nice). These cosmetic fixes must be done first to spur the private development. No one wants to open a business on a street where the sidewalk is crumbling and the street is dangerous to walk across because of speeding traffic. After these cosmetic steps have been taken it is important to provide seed money to upstart businesses. We need fewer mega marts and more corner grocers, bakeries, shoe repair shops, buthcers, etc... This might seem like a dream, but once people realize the value in recreating real community via smallness, the public trust will return. A patron of a corner shop can trust that the owner will not cheat him, because he relies on the patron for his business. Wal Mart doesn't have to worry about whether or not it cheats patrons, there will always be more. Next, every single building that can be saved must, once these treasures are gone they will never be saved. A modern building can never replace a grand old building. After this important step, new construction can take place, not in the form of mega malls, or stadiums, but in streetscape infill. Many small projects must be created, filling in the gaps in the urban facade. These can be of modern design, which I adore, but they must go well with the height of the buildings nextdoor. These buildings must contain street level retail space and should provide office and residential space above. NO MORE PARKING LOTS! Everyone that now exists should be built upon, with a few here and there being turned into urban green spaces. Not huge parks, but tiny areas with benches and a fountain, full of trees with retail surrounding. I strongly suggest angled parking, where applicable, lots of free parking everywhere and the construction of parking garages dotting the downtown, with more retail space at street level. We should never settle for a blank wall facing the street. This is my first post, and I am patiently awaiting to hear from you all. I love this site, it is a great medium for discussion.