Is Westport really an entertainment district?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm not an expert, but I'm sick of seeing Westport described as an entertainment district. Many city guides are now describing it as such. It has its share of live music venues and clubs, but that is a sign of an artsy and diverse neighborhood. When I think of an entertainment district I think of megaplex cinemas, Hard Rock Cafes, and tacky clubs filled with guys with tight shirts. If people consider Westport an entertainment district then so is downtown Lawrence (bars, live music, clubs)...it's a neighborhood center overrun by suburbanites.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

You're right. It's baby sitting district cleverly disguised as a BAR district.

Seriously though, it's only attraction is liquor and loud music. Sure the Tivoli is there, but its number have to be marginal.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

So it's safe to say that Kansas City doesn't have an entertainment district? :roll:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Westport

Post by FangKC »

I think most Kansas Citians think of it as one. Since the neigborhood residents complain about the noise, parking, and crowds littering, etc., perhaps it's time to think about slowly moving the bars and clubs downtown. Hopefully, when the downtown entertainment district is built, some of the clubs will move. Kelly's should stay there though, since it's been there so long.

I wish The Hurricane was downtown now though.
There is no fifth destination.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Clubs downtown

Pubs westport

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Shouldn't Westport just be another unique KC neighborhood like River Market and 39th Street not the bar mecca for KC?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Like I have said before in other threads, Westport simply is not an appropriate location for a dense entertainment district. It currently functions as one, but it's not the best place for it. It's too small, the roads aren't adequate, and there are too many single-family houses. Especially for the large clubs that draw a regional audience (e.g. XO, Have a Nice F*ck, etc.). These should be Downown.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:Like I have said before in other threads, Westport simply is not an appropriate location for a dense entertainment district. It currently functions as one, but it's not the best place for it. It's too small, the roads aren't adequate, and there are too many single-family houses. Especially for the large clubs that draw a regional audience (e.g. XO, Have a Nice F*ck, etc.). These should be Downown.
I think we can all agree here.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Star Article on Changes in Westport

Post by FangKC »

There was an article in Friday's KC Star about the changes going on in Westport. It appears that days may be numbered for Stanford & Sons, The Beaumont Club, and the Westport Beach Club.

It would be great if Stanford and Sons and the Beaumont Club moved downtown, and the Beach Club moved to the River Market or Crossroads.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Good article - I missed that when I was looking thru the paper before. Thanks for posting it.

I had no idea that places like the Beaumont & Stanford's were in jeopardy.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

While they are forcing Beaumont and Stanfords out, why not America's Pup and XO? I would leave Harry's, Kelly's, Harpos, The Hurricane, the Brewery in Westport and possibly Have a Nice day cafe' in Westport. Move all the lame dance clubs like XO and America's Pup downtown, then maybe I would start patronizing the area again. The only time I go to Westport now is to grab lunch, watch a football/basketball game or shop. I generally avoid the area after 10pm.

The dance clubs should be downtown anyway in some sort of entertainment area. There are plenty of old warehouses that could be converted into dance clubs.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I still think that main st. between the Empire and Union Station would be an ideal location for an entertainment district. No housing along that stretch, and it is bracketed at one end by the downtown hotels Marriott, Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Phillips and hopefully the President). The other end is the crown center hotels. A few bars are already there, such as Danny's Big Easy, Bazooka's, Tootsie's, DB Warehouse. Add in the restaurants along Main, the new gift shop going in at 19th and Main, the new piano bar at 1907 main, and we have the seeds of a pretty cool and diverse area. If we were lucky enough to have an area that had both gay and straight clubs, where everyone could go and feel safe and welcome, this could be one of the premier districts in the country. Only bourbon st. in new orleans has a mix of gay and straight clubs in one area. Granted, the gay clubs are clustered at one end, but for the most part it is an area that everyone can go and not be harrassed too much. The clubs along the street could even pitch in and provide a shuttle that runs from one end to the other, providing free and frequent rides up and down main st.

The sidewalks are wide, the area well lit. It has the potential to do as much to connect the loop to the rest of downtown as the PAC or anything else going on. Can you imagine walking out of the new downtown arena, and stroll down main st all the way to union station, with the sidewalks and streets as busy and crowded as the sept. 1st friday?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat... like your idea a lot. But the shuttle you mentioned should be light rail or BRT that runs 24/7.

I support the landlords changing Westport into an urban residential district rather than a nightspot. But if they kick out Stanford's we'll have to listen to their stupid family turn it into a public battle. Stanford's would be good at 18th and Vine or inside the loop.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

You are right of course, light rail would be ideal. I am just thinking of something that would be free, and could run a lot more often than a light rail. There was one in new orleans, operated by a company that owned several bars, including one called the Monster. The Monster Express ran every 10 minutes, with stops at 8 bars. It ran from 10 pm to 4 or 5 am, and cost nothing to ride. The bus looked like one of the parking shuttles at KCI. Here we could do one of the trolleys, and just contract with MTSI to run it on fridays and satrudays till 3:30 or so. If we stayed off public transportation, less likely to be confronted by police for public drunkeness or whatever.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Garages

Post by FangKC »

Yes, and parking garages could be placed along Walnut. There's not that much going on along Walnut now as it is, so it would be a good place for parking. The area along Main from 13th to 19th needs some landscaping done as well. It would be nice if they placed some nice streetlamps like they have in Quality Hill along that stretch. It would also be great if they opened a couple of good coffee houses in that area. The red trolleys would be perfect for that area.

It's too bad there isn't a commuter rail running from Johnson County and the eastern suburbs that stops at Union Station. With the red trolleys running up and down Main with service to Union Station, a lot of people could use public transportation to come to the Crossroads to party, and not have to worry so much about driving afterwards.

The Glazers can raise as much ruckus as they want, but if their landlord doesn't renew their lease, they isn't much they can do about it. If they want to have more control over their destiny--and say about their neighborhood, they should own the property their club is in.