Tax breaks for Crossroads artists?

carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

Has no one posted about the article in today's (yesterday by now) Star about rising property taxes in the Crossroads squeezing the artists who "created" Crossroads, or is my search function not working?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 474565.htm
"If you have a city committed to maintaining its arts community, then you need a special tax category," said John McIlwain, a senior fellow at the Urban Land Institute in Washington, D.C.

"It's politically a difficult thing to do unless city leadership is clear it wants to protect the arts."

Leedy has met with Mayor Kay Barnes and received sympathy and a promise of more meetings. But no plans are afoot to ask the state to enact special legislation for artists, said Donovan Mouton, the mayor's top aide on downtown issues.

"The issue for the Crossroads is not totally based on property taxes being raised," Mouton said. "There are more ways to nurture the arts than giving relief on property taxes."

Michael O'Flaherty, Jackson County assessor, said he thought any proposed exemption to benefit artists would require an amendment to the Missouri Constitution.

"We are not aware of any effort to change the constitution for this purpose," O'Flaherty said.
So, should Crossroads artists be given any kind of tax breaks (since they're not getting TIF like others are), and if so, what?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

No. They should be taxed on the value of the land, not on the appraisal of their property. The latter encourages places to get crappy and stay that way.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think there is a good way to handle this...sucks too...artists take over an area, pretty much revive it all by themselves and now it's becoming popular so their property tax rises.....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

this is another downside to the TIF districts and other tax breaks given to developers. Those who live and work in the crossroads for years before the new developers moved in are paying their fair share and more. Its not fair to the grassroots folks who have struggled for years and years, barely making ends meet.

On the flip side, the Leedy Gallery, who's tax bill shot up so high, is certianly not a struggling business. The artwork and artists that they represent are surely not emerging artists, and the prices they can command are far outside the reach of the average person.

But surely there is a way to enable the artists to stay in the crossroads arts district. They created the place and need to be rewarded for their perserverence and sacrifices.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Is the crossroads in a position that if the artists leave the area will stay hot? Tax breaks are fine with me. The artists are creating money for the city by reviving an area that is now bringing in businesses whose primary purpose is to make money. I would think that those businesses woud want ot artists to stay.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Did anyone see my post? It can and will stay vital and cultured if they tax the value of the land instead of the porperty value.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote:Did anyone see my post? It can and will stay vital and cultured if they tax the value of the land instead of the porperty value.
It sounds like a good idea in theory, but you are talking about a pretty significant change in both paradigm and law. That big of a change would take a few years to accomplish, and there seems to be a more immediate need to do something.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

You all know I love tax incentives (really). HOWEVER, I'm now not only expected to tolerate the existence of these goofballs who are deemed "artists" upon their expulsion from any college wqith an anti-drug policy, but I'm also expected top pay for their granola habit as well.

For that matter, when did "art" become defined as a rusted bicycle superglued to a blowup doll.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

If that is your limited view of modern art, then you need to spend some time at the Kemper and the second floor of the Nelson(both are free!!!). Also, catagorizing all artists as college reject drug users is rather unfair.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Good2Great wrote:You all know I love tax incentives (really). HOWEVER, I'm now not only expected to tolerate the existence of these goofballs who are deemed "artists" upon their expulsion from any college wqith an anti-drug policy, but I'm also expected top pay for their granola habit as well.

For that matter, when did "art" become defined as a rusted bicycle superglued to a blowup doll.
G2G, that was incredibly ignorant and hostile.

The vast majority of galleries in the Crossroads sell legimate art at hundres, thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. This includes a wide variety of painting, sculpture, textile, pottery, and more. Yeah, there are some quirky things that a few people might question the legitamacy of, but those are in the minority.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

a tremendous portion of the artist exhibited at crossroads galleries are nationally and internationally known and respected. Add to that emerging and local artists who have the opportunity to exhibit alongside the more well known artists. Some of the art is not my taste, but to disparage all the art, as you did, good, is not a good way to state your opinion.

No one is talking about the quality of the artwork on display. Thats up to the patrons who will or will not buy the artwork. We are talking about supporting the artistic community who moved into the crossroads district before it was popular, and without taxbreaks. These folks made the crossroads arts district what is today. Without them, the condos and lofts that are recieving tax breaks would not have come.

You may not appreciate the artwork these people do, but at least give them the respect and gratiutde they deserve for creating a vibrant and exciting neighborhood without tax breaks and financial incentives. I have a lot more respect for an art institute graduate who buys a run down building and renovates it as his residence and studio space, than I do for some wealthy developer who flies in, demands tax breaks and financial incintives to build high end condos and lofts that are out of reach of the average kansas city resident.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

I suppose squatting in the Crossroads is a vast improvement from their former studio. However, I find it interesting that a lot of studios are called "Parents Garage."
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Good, your last two posts on this topic have so many things wrong, its pointless to even debate it. :roll:
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Good2Great »

Accept my apologies, I tend to call things as I see them.

Crossroads Art Stidios = Homeless Shelters (It's all in symantics)
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

tat2kc wrote:Good, your last two posts on this topic have so many things wrong, its pointless to even debate it. :roll:
Agreed.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

Good, your last two posts on this topic have so many things wrong, its pointless to even debate it.
Agreed here too. But now, it's the last THREE posts. :?

What ignorance...
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

No need to bite on the troll bait, y'all....thankfully there's always the "Ignore" button to click on.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Collison spouted off about the Crossroads....
DEVELOPMENT: Crossroads, not skyscrapers, indicates a vital downtown

By KEVIN COLLISON
Columnist

Years ago, when my fascination with cities began, I rated them by their skyline.

The first glimpse of a cluster of skyscrapers rising from downtown -- be it Minneapolis, Denver or Kansas City, and later in life, Manhattan -- was thrilling.

I've never lost that excitement -- my small town roots run deep -- but I've become more discriminating as I've gotten older.

Now I judge a dynamic city more by what's happening on its streets -- unique shops, architecture, pedestrian life, etc. -- as opposed to its vertical grandeur alone.

Which leads me to the artists of Crossroads and the 38 galleries there.

Fast-rising property taxes triggered by the area's resurgence are squeezing the artists' ability to stay. For example, Jim Leedy, a pioneering artist and gallery owner in the district, had his taxes more than triple this year.

It ain't right, especially when the value of the artists' properties are being compared unfairly to redeveloped buildings benefiting from tax breaks. Talk about a world being turned upside down.

Downtown needs to preserve the eclectic energy the artists bring to that district of old buildings. Something to draw in people that they can't find in suburban malls and other bland venues.

Thousands of people show up on the first Fridays of each month to visit the galleries, have a glass of wine or beer, and mingle on the sidewalks and streets of Crossroads.

It's one of the best examples of street life going in downtown, and it's attracting more investment and activity. It should be nurtured, not suffocated.

One suggestion offered by a national expert is that artists who already own buildings in the Crossroads should have their property taxes frozen as long as they continue to use their property for art-related purposes.

There may be other solutions as well: helping artists establish nonprofit status for the buildings or encouraging private benefactors to assist keeping them in place.

In Baltimore, a new district assures that artists who own buildings will be immune from assessment increases for 10 years. They also qualify for income tax breaks.

At a minimum, Jackson County officials would be wise to hold property tax assessments at 2002 levels and place a moratorium on further increases until a long-range solution can be worked out.

At the same time the artists ironically are being walloped by taxes, the city is offering a carrot of tax breaks to help an out-of-town developer create an entertainment district a few blocks away in the South Loop.

Given a choice between visiting a Hard Rock Cafe or touring a diverse bunch of art galleries on a pleasant Friday night, I know where I'd be.

But it's not an either/or situation.

Downtown needs an entertainment district in the South Loop that will appeal to visitors and conventioneers. It needs to help developers convert empty outdated buildings into new residences and businesses.

It needs the new jobs and added prestige that H&R Block and Waddell & Reed could bring. It needs a new arena, a performing arts center and a ballpark.

But at the same time, it also needs to support the artists of Crossroads. They help make it someplace different, someplace urban and vital. Someplace unpredictable.

A bunch of tall buildings, as powerful an urban image as they are, doesn't equal a healthy downtown. What's happening below is the real measure of vitality.
I realize the importance of arts in the community, but if you make exceptions and exclusions for artists, who draws the line? If musicians come together and create a music district...should the taxes be frozen there too? Or if writers create a literary district...shouldn't they be exempt too? There isn't an easy answer...maybe it should be put to a vote.