Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by beautyfromashes »

I heard that there was an article in the Jackson County Advocate a few weeks ago about the Wizards building a new stadium next to Bannister Mall.  Does anyone know if this is true?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by KCMax »

Its one of about five proposed sites as far as I know. The Star had a blurb yesterday that the Wizards were still looking at a number of ideas. They're also working hard on determining where they will play next year.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Several media have mentioned that Bannister is on the list of potential sites. I don't think this qualifies as a rumor, unless you know something more than has already been published.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCMax wrote:They're also working hard on determining where they will play next year.
What would be the 2nd largest football/soccer facility in the metro?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

MidWestSider wrote: What would be the 2nd largest football/soccer facility in the metro?
The possibilities for a temporary location are:

CBAC
BVDAC
Ray-Pec HS
Rockhurst HS
Park U.
Community America Ballpark
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I think on top of Bannister Mall would be more appropriate. Is there anything in there besides a Lens Crafters?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Its one of about five proposed sites as far as I know. The Star had a blurb yesterday that the Wizards were still looking at a number of ideas. They're also working hard on determining where they will play next year.
I mentioned this at Xmas eve to my cousins, all of whom like the Wiz a lot.  They started laughing, but I told them, dead-serious:  Banniser freakin Mall.

Why can't it just go to Village West?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

heard from a reliable source that both the interim playing field, and the new stadium will both be in Missouri (KCMO to be more precise). An announcement should be forthcoming soon.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

NDTeve wrote: I think on top of Bannister Mall would be more appropriate. Is there anything in there besides a Lens Crafters?
I know that KC Gold Fronts was in there for a while. I don't know if it still is though. I see no reason to preserve a dying(dead) mall. I say knock it over and build a nice stadium.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

KCFutbol wrote: The possibilities for a temporary location are:

CBAC
BVDAC
Ray-Pec HS
Rockhurst HS
Park U.
Community America Ballpark

That would be hilarious when David Beckham comes to town for him to play on a high school field..
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The Bannister Mall area makes perfect sense.  

1.  It is in South KC close to the largest concentration of soccer youth (South JOCO)
2.  It is at a major highway crossroads
3.  Infrasturcture is already in place to facilitate easy access
4.  The area is in dire need of redevelopment.  I do think the best bet would be to knock down the mall.  
5.  The owners of the Wizards, of which Neal is a founder of Cerner, are making a large investment in the area with the new Cerner expansion there.  
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

On top of that, the land should be relatively cheap, especially for its startlingly central and accessible location.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

briantsmith25 wrote: That would be hilarious when David Beckham comes to town for him to play on a high school field..
Why in the world would anyone in their right mind be concerned about David Beckham's feelings about playing in a temporary field? What do you suggest we do to make the man happy? KC Soccer fans would love your solution to this problem.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Bannister Mall?...that neighborhood is awful!!! It will be like going to the Coliseum in LA or the old Chicago Stadium in Chicago. Go see a game to find your car on cinder blocks when you come out?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: Bannister Mall?...that neighborhood is awful!!! It will be like going to the Coliseum in LA or the old Chicago Stadium in Chicago. Go see a game to find your car on cinder blocks when you come out?
That's why its important we have mass transit going there!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: That's why its important we have mass transit going there!

Yeah!

B/c no place in the country is as dense as the abandoned, shack-land around Bannister.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

tat2kc wrote: What do you suggest we do to make the man happy? KC Soccer fans would love your solution to this problem.
Don't Know... And could really give a fuck less.... I just think it would be embarassing as a city to have a major league sports team play at a high school.
Last edited by briantsmith25 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Probably not a bad thing that mass transit is not going to Bannister Mall. How many people really need to go to Lens Crafters that much?
- Mark Twain
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

NDTeve wrote: Bannister Mall?...that neighborhood is awful!!! It will be like going to the Coliseum in LA or the old Chicago Stadium in Chicago. Go see a game to find your car on cinder blocks when you come out?
Dude. Please don't troll.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Good deal, Briantsmith25. The season begins in march. They can't play at Arrowhead. Give us your solution. Or would you rather just bitch and moan? If you can't give a f*ck, then why are you posting? I know sitting on the sidelines and being judgemental is a lot of fun, but try to come up with a viable solution for once.  Just a suggestion.

And yea, Bannister is not a great place now. Something needs to be done to turn the area around. Its location gives it tremendous potential. For those who condem the idea of a soccer stadium there, what are your suggestions for improving the area?