Remodeling Town Pavillion

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Remodeling Town Pavillion

Post by Cratedigger »

If Bbq is going to be our city's "thing" we need a good bbq place downtown.

I guess between the Ice House and Jack Stack plus Slaps and Hawg Jaw which are close maybe we're good
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I counter service place would be nice.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i'm not sure when johnny c's closed, but walked by it this morning and it's fitted out like a little office space or computer lab or something. there was a sign and i forgot what it said but just googled the former johnny c's address and came up with this website: http://www.kcdesigncenter.org/aboutkcdc

pretty cool? i mean... it's lunchtime and i do like food more than offices generally anyway, but still pretty cool?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

wahoowa wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:01 pm i'm not sure when johnny c's closed, but walked by it this morning and it's fitted out like a little office space or computer lab or something. there was a sign and i forgot what it said but just googled the former johnny c's address and came up with this website: http://www.kcdesigncenter.org/aboutkcdc

pretty cool? i mean... it's lunchtime and i do like food more than offices generally anyway, but still pretty cool?
Huh - they had been located on Baltimore. Didn't realize they moved
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Remember hearing they were moving but not sure when.

Covid closing blend together but I believe they closed last summer. Had staffing issues per the sign they had hung.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

planet sub breakfast is done. kind of surprised it lasted this long.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Building has been renamed to 1111 Main; eleven eleven Main.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Tenant Finish Permit for Plowboys to be turned into breakfast bakery.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This sounds like the Banksia news someone posted about.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

the planet sub has been bisected by drywall over the past couple months, so presumably at least one more tenant incoming unless existing spokes/bank tenants are moving or something

edit: looking at this page you'd think i : sub sandwich news at town pavilion :: dcole : cordish, which... fair
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Scooters you mean?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

wahoowa wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:35 am
edit: looking at this page you'd think i : sub sandwich news at town pavilion :: dcole : cordish, which... fair
Ha! Thank you for keeping us informed
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:20 pm Tenant Finish Permit for Plowboys to be turned into breakfast bakery.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:33 am This sounds like the Banksia news someone posted about.
KC Star article confirms Banksia moving to old Plowboys spot.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 38145.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

HTNB is taking over 7 floors in Town Pavilion and leaving their long-time home on Quality Hill. No word on what will happen to their space on Kirk Drive.

HNTB will expand, move KC offices into 1111 Main tower

HNTB Corp. will relocate its Kansas City offices to a larger space as its local workforce expands.
The locally headquartered infrastructure solutions firm on Thursday announced it will occupy seven contiguous floors totaling about 161,000 square feet in 1111 Main, formerly Town Pavilion, by the end of 2025. The firm will leave its approximately 131,000-square-foot office at 715 Kirk Drive in Quality Hill.
The firm had 633 local FTE employees as of February, and 5,774 firmwide. It's the No. 4 Kansas City-area engineering firm in terms of local employee count.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ntown.html
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Google says this is about 30K more sqft. Scrolling around loop net there really isn’t a lot of contiguous space downtown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised they didn't ask the building owner (Van Trust) to add the space at the building on Kirk Drive. There's certainly space to do it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1010662 ... ?entry=ttu
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

HNTB vacating the Kirk Drive building opens up some opportunities. Should it be converted into apartments, and additional apartment buildings constructed on the existing parking lots? Should it remain office space? Should the original building stay office space, but they take the vacancy as an opportunity to build apartment buildings on the parking lots and make it a mixed use project?

New apartments could go on the parking lot along the bluff on Kirk Drive as well as on the three surface parking lots on both sides of 12th Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1007315 ... ?entry=ttu

In addition to these parking lots, several parcels on Quality Hill need development to add population to downtown.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:48 pm HNTB vacating the Kirk Drive building opens up some opportunities. Should it be converted into apartments, and additional apartment buildings constructed on the existing parking lots? Should it remain office space? Should the original building stay office space, but they take the vacancy as an opportunity to build apartment buildings on the parking lots and make it a mixed use project?

New apartments could go on the parking lot along the bluff on Kirk Drive as well as on the three surface parking lots on both sides of 12th Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1007315 ... ?entry=ttu

In addition to these parking lots, several parcels on Quality Hill need development to add population to downtown.
Very large floor plates iirc.bulldoze and redevelop.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The building should be repurposed. Could it become a school for Crossroads Academy where they could consolidate all their classes in one building? The school is currently spread among three buildings. The administrators have expressed they want to build a gymnasium. There would be space for that and room for playgrounds.

This penchant for automatically proposing demolition as a solution has to stop. The Metro has problems right now finding places for future landfills. Building demolition and construction waste fill a significant portion of the landfill. It's also bad for the environment not to use a building as long as possible. Demolition and replacement construction only add more carbon into our atmosphere, and we just had the hottest summer on record last year.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

And bring back the illuminated hereford from exile.