Grand Opera House, 710 and 711 Main to be razed.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: 710 and 711 Main to be razed.

Post by voltopt »

tat2kc wrote: Why would you assume that simply because a building looks reasonably sound on the exterior, as you drive by, that is is structurally sound and salvageable? Is anyone who rehabs buildings for a living stepping up to say that the building can be saved? Has the historic commision sent a structural engineer in to assess the building to determine if it can be saved and if so, is it cost effective?

I understand the desire to save all the old buildings, but its not always doable. If someone is willing to pay a structural engineer and an architect to go in, find out if it is salvageable and what kind of reuse it could be converted to, I am sure Tower properties would be more than happy to do something that would generate some income for them. So far, no one other than the forum members are demanding that this happen. Who's got the cash to get the ball rolling?
i don't have the cash, but i have experience analyzing buildings from an adaptive reuse standpoint.  i'm not a structural engineer, but as an architect i've seen similar buildings that may have seemed unsalvagable but are in fact capable of being saved.  my examination of this particular building is cursory and based on walking around it on walnut street, as i work a block away, and pass by it when i walk to work.
i have been in the building as well - and having seen how creative architects and an open minded developer who were able to save the building at 2nd and walnut that had no roof or windows for many years, but had a sound exterior load bearing wall, i know that a lot more is possible then this particular property owner is letting on. they have a mandate, it is for parking, so it will happen.

i'm not a "buildign hugger", but i do see potential and possibility with this property.  i would imagine someone felt that way about the View at one point, or about various "loft" converstions throughout the crossroads.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: If anything....we need to be more critical of landowners not keeping up properties that allow them to get to this condition.
Amen. I'd like to see a thread where watchdogs point out negligent landowners who are allowing otherwise beautiful buildings fall into disrepair.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

construction barriers are now up around the parking garage...the white one.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here is an email I sent to the Historic Kansas City Foundation.

To: hkcf@historickansascity.org
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:18 PM
Subject: Grand Opera House

I have read recently of a plan by Tower Properties and Commerce Bank to demolish the Grand Opera House at 700 Walnut. They have asked the City to approve TIF for the project, yet have been unwilling to date to announce publically their plans for the site.

Seeing that Jonathan Kemper serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, I find this disturbing to say the least.

Is there any effort being made to save this building from demolition?

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... rround=lfn
Tower Properties will raze downtown buildings

Kansas City Business Journal - December 12, 2006

Tower Properties Co. plans to demolish three buildings on the north end of Downtown. The $1.5 million project will clear about 2.5 acres. Tower CEO Buzz Willard said he expects work to begin within a month and be finished by March 31.

Among structures to be razed is the now-vacant south end of the former Rodeway Inn, 711 Main St., and a vacant parking garage at 710 Main St. Willard said he couldn't discuss any redevelopment plans for the property.

But Tower wants the Kansas City Council to let it seek tax abatements in the future. The council's Planning, Zoning and Economic Development Committee on Wednesday will review a resolution that would enable abatement under Chapter 353 of the Missouri Urban Redevelopment Corporations Law. Chapter 353 eliminates taxes on improvements for 10 years and halves them for 15 more years. The resolution could go to the full council on Thursday.

Tower's existing tax increment financing district won't apply to the property, Willard said. The district was established in 1995, so nearly half its 23-year life has expired. TIF diverts taxes generated by a project to reimburse the developer.

The original TIF plan included a $3 million renovation of the former hotel's south building. The hotel opened in 1959 as the Prom Motor Hotel.

This past week the city council passed resolution no. 061343, stating:
"Stating the intent of the City Council of Kansas City, Missouri regarding the effect of the proposed demolition of certain improvements at 710 Main, 711 Main and 700 Walnut prior to the City Councils consideration of a Chapter 353 redevelopment plan."
You can read the whole resolution here.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... N10Q%3d%3d

http://infoweb.newsbank.com.proxy.kclib ... jE2MC4xNjQ

I find it baffling--to say the least--that the City would even consider granting tax abatements to a project that will require the demolition of the historic building without stated public plan.  One of only about 50 buildings left downtown that were built prior to 1900.  The building is nine years older than the Folly Theater, and 36 years older than the Midland Theater.

As far as I'm aware, it's the oldest remaining theater building in the State of  Missouri after Thespian Hall (1857) in Boonville.  If you are aware of any older theaters buildings that remain, I'd certainly appreciate that information.

I also find it upsetting that neither the Business Journal or the KC Star has done a news article (to date) that specifically mentioned 700 Walnut as part of the demolition plan.  The Business Journal article mentions three buildings, but only lists the addresses of the two buildings on Main.  The Kansas City Star hasn't even done a specific article mentioning the plan to my knowledge.  I did a search of Star articles from the KC Public Library web site, and found none.

One can only learn about it when reading the City Council resolutions.

It would appear to many that Tower Properties, and even the City Council perhaps, are trying to keep the public unaware that the Grand Opera House is part of the demolition project.  The timing of the announcement around the Christmas holidays also seems designed to catch the public unaware because of the hectic schedules most people have during them.

I just find it absolutely baffling that Jonathan Kemper can be chairman of the board of trustees for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and have any participation in the demolition of this building after it has stood for 115 years.

I cannot conceive why City leaders are continuing a practice to eliminate and demolish irreplaceable, historic City assets.  Especially in light of the fact that Tower Properties owns numerous vacant surface lots in the North Loop that have gone undeveloped for decades.  In addition, vacant lots currently surround the Grand Opera House to the north along Walnut, and across the street along Walnut and East 7th Street.

Please advise.
Last edited by FangKC on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here is the response I got from Historic Kansas City Foundation.

Subj: Re: Grand Opera House 
Date: 1/23/2007 8:30:31 AM

The HKCF board is preparing a statement about the Grand Opera House but it is my understanding that since it has been gutted the building will not qualify as a National Register of Historic Places.

Dona Boley
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here is my reply.

-------------------------
Thanks for your response. I'd appreciate a copy of the statement.

I would be interested to know why the fact that it doesn't qualify for the National Register of Historic Places should have any bearing on attempting to save it. Despite the fact that it is gutted, the exterior facade remains and it's architecturally historic.

Many historic buildings--even ones on the Register--don't have their original interiors.

I look forward to hearing more about your efforts on this issue.

Thanks,
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

the Kansas City Cold Storage is a good example of a building without the original interior.  Another is the Vine Street Workhouse.  Another is the Folly Theater.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Others would be the Professional Building; the upper floors of the President Hotel; Virginia Hotel (United Way headquarters); and the Coates House Hotel.

The MainStreet Theater is gutted and will have to have its' entire interior rebuilt.

For that matter, the White House doesn't have all of its' original interior. It was completely gutted down to the foundation and bare walls during the Truman Administration, and completely rebuilt.

Besides, just the exterior facade can be landmarked.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I got an email back from Councilman Eddy yesterday that indicated that he was not aware of the information that I'd sent him pointing out the history and architectural-significance of the Grand Opera House; that it's the oldest building left in Kansas City constructed as a theater, and possibly the second oldest one remaining in Missouri; that it's the only Victorian-era theatre structure left here; that Jonathan Kemper (whose family controls Tower Properties) is president of the board of trustees for the National Trust of Historic Preservation; and that there are only about 55 documented buildings (out of hundreds built before 1900)--that I'm aware of after my research--left in and near downtown Kansas City. I also pointed out that there appear to be no documented antebellum (pre-Civil War) structures left downtown, in the River Market, or Columbus Park.

Since it appears that our Council members might all be completely unaware of this information, I think it's imperative that others on this forum speak up now.  How can they be making decisions like this without having some idea what they are doing?

Why? There is very little time left to take action.
Business Journal of Kansas City - December 12, 2006

Tower Properties Co. plans to demolish three buildings on the north end of Downtown. The $1.5 million project will clear about 2.5 acres. Tower CEO Buzz Willard said he expects work to begin within a month and be finished by March 31.

You have the technology, now use it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Grand Opera House Might Be Leveled by March 31

Post by FangKC »

Just a head's up. The Grand Opera House will reportedly be gone by the end of March.
Business Journal of Kansas City - December 12, 2006

Kansas City Star photo
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Grand Opera House Might Be Leveled by March 31

Post by FangKC »

Pre-1900 Victorian Theatre Buildings in Kansas City

A photo history of Victorian-era theater buildings in downtown Kansas City.  As you can see, they shared many of the same architectural elements and style cues. They usually had peaked roofs and a towering mast(s) on the front facade.  They were imposing fortress-like buildings in their appearance--taking cues from European castles and chateaus. They usually had some type of protective portico over the front entrance; featured gothic arches and cornices; rounded windows; fanciful, decorative brick, and stone elements in the facade. Theater structures of today look nothing like these.  So few of these Victorian theater buildings remain, and that is why it's so important to save the ones that do.

How the Grand Opera House originally appeared in 1891.

The Grand Opera House after the upper roof structure was removed.

Believe it or not, the Grand Opera House has looked much worse than it does today.

The Grand Opera House as it appears today.

The Coates Opera House (1871), on the NW corner of 10th and Broadway, was early Victorian architecture in the French Second Empire style. It was destroyed by fire in 1901.

Gillis Opera House (1883), on the SW corner of E. 5th St. and Grand in the River Market, was Victorian showing elements of both Gothic Revival and the Romanesque Revival styles. The Gillis seated 1,700 patrons, and was lost to fire in 1925.

Gillis Opera House

Warder's Grand Theatre (aka Auditorium Theater, 1887), on the NE corner at E. 9th and Holmes, was constructed in 1890, and is Victorian architecture in the Richardson Romanesque and Chateauesque styles. It seated 1,800.

Warder's Grand Theatre after the upper roof structure was removed. It was demolished.

Ninth Street Theater (aka Orpheum Theatre, 1898), on the NE corner at W. 9th St. and May, was Victorian in the Renaissance Revival and Gothic Revival styles.  It also features elements of Italianate style in its' facade, and Byzantine Revival style in its' front roof structure. The Orpheum had 1,998 seats, and was demolished in the 1922.

Orpheum Theatre

Last edited by FangKC on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

This is one of my favorite buildings in the city, but realistically, what can it be used for now other then parking?  Getting it ready for occupancy would have to cost a lot of money.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The answer is most likely yes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Playbills from the Grand Opera House

Playbills from the Orpheum Theatre

Playbill from the Auditorium Theater (Warder's Grand)

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

FangKC wrote: The answer is most likely yes.
But...I didn't ask a yes or no question...  :)
Kard wrote: ...what can it be used for now other then parking?  Getting it ready for occupancy would have to cost a lot of money.
I guess my point is...even though it's awesome in a lot of ways...does it make sense to restore it?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You want to examples of the lengths some cities will go to preserve an old building?

The Eltinge/Empire Theater on 42nd Street in Times Square was literally lifted onto rollers and moved down the block to incorporate it as the entrance to a new AMC theater there.  I was living in NYC at the time, and had the good fortune to observe the building being moved.

The theater on the left (indicated by arrow) was moved to the location of the demolished theater, and made the lobby of a new AMC Empire 25 multiplex.

The restored Empire Theater facade.

From the Cinema Treasures web site:
"The lobby of this luxurious, five-level theater has been built inside the shell of the old Empire Theater. In order to build the massive multi-screen complex, the Empire was lifted up and moved down the street to its present location. Once that massive job was completed, a new 25 screen theater was built around it.

The historic facade has been left largely intact, while a new marquee has been added. Also preserved and restored is a beautiful mural which can be seen just above the box office."

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/255/

The Hearst Corporation retained the walls of its original building with scaffolding and built a large, modern tower rising up from the core of the old building.

Hearst Corp. Headquarters, New York

Despite what Mr. Willard says, buildings in much worse shape have been salvaged and reused.  One example is the old industrial warehouse on the northeast corner of Second and Walnut streets in the River Market. It stood until very recently without a roof, and just standing walls, and it was renovated into office space.  Another example is the carriage house in the alley behind Blossum House at W. 11th and Pennsylvania. It was also restored recently after standing without a roof or windows for many years.  One of the walls had completely collapsed.  Mrs. Helzberg saw that it was restored, when it would easily have been cheaper just to level it.

The carriage house near W. 11th and Pennsylvania before restoration

It's been completely restored and will be rented as office space.

Another future project that seems to be moving forward is that of the old Vine Street Workhouse, which has a redevelopment sign up in front of it.   It is also without a roof and is just standing walls without windows.

Tower Properties appears to be promoting the idea that it's not salvageable because they just don't want to bother with it. This is a common tactic used by companies who seek to tear down historic buildings. This kind of thinking just has to stop.  Kansas City has lost too much of its' architecture and history.  These lost elements have deprived our citizens of a rich history, and visitors with things to tour and admire.  Had Kansas City just had the wisdom to have preserved many more of its early buildings, our city would be so much more distinctive when compared to others.

These examples serve to demonstrate what can be done if their is support for the effort.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kard wrote: But...I didn't ask a yes or no question...  :)

I guess my point is...even though it's awesome in a lot of ways...does it make sense to restore it?
Yes, there is a discussion on this very topic at:

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=10744.0

Read the entire thread. You will see that there are some who believe it's facade is structurally-sound enough to be re-used.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

FangKC wrote: You want to examples of the lengths some cities will go to preserve an old building?

The Hearst Corporation retained the walls of its original building with scaffolding and built a large, modern tower rising up from the core of the old building.

Hearst Corp. Headquarters, New York

Now we're talking!  That's awesome.

Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done.  It probably should...I can only imagine the utter crap we might end up with when we could have something really awesome, like what's there now.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Imploding the interior parking decks would be worth the cost of building that particular facade again.
A little paint removal, a little tuck point, and some structural reinforcing, and you have a beautiful, century old exterior wall.
On the interior you could use a simple, economical masonry block or light steel frame with slab on grade to provide 5 floors of simple two bedroom condos/apartments, with an open air courtyard on the interior.
This solution should qualify for historic tax credits, because the original facade would be restored (and the old tower could be added in the original manner, akin to the Webster School that the Helzberg's invested in.  Unlike the Kempers, it seems they have a real interest in Kansas City as a place, and not just as blank real estated.)
This solution would also be a Green approach, in that existing infrastructure was reused and density was increased. 
Give an outside (ie: not payed for by the city or by the Kempers) organization or design team one month to come up with a feasibility study, and I would assume it wouldn't be as doom and gloom as Commerce Bank's assessment.  To them, parking is an asset, not ideas.  That is why this will be a parking lot.  An independent team could come up with creative solutions, an innovative funding mechanism, and public support. 
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Hrm, if the Grand Street Opera House is going to be demo'd, it may be a good time for urban explorers to head in there and 'reclaim' old bronze plates from the inside before they're lost in the city brick dump. ;)